Access Through Landowners

In looking at the Wyoming F&G site, I saw the section that lists landowners willing to allow access. Anyone use this avenue before and what were the "costs" associated with getting permission?

Jimss

WKR
Each is probably a little different. You'll likely need to contact them to find out the details.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
Contact them early. Kinda hit and miss on whether or not they grant permission which is better than no permission at all.

OP
longspeak74
I noticed that the units with asterisk's are listed as public but difficult to navigate, so thought this might be an easier route to explore. I didn't see any costs listed with landowner info, but will definitely take another look.

Depending on the unit you are looking at, if you come later in the season getting access on private can be done of trying to fill doe tags. This is what i have done in the past in units that have tough access. You should also give the local game bio a call and ask them if they have any ideas and also try the local game warden.

As far as costs - kind of depends on the units. I've had some landowners that only charged the landowner coupon and some that want $50-$100 per doe. But it does seem to get a bit tougher every year to get access since many just turn their land over to outfitters and let them deal with it.

OP
longspeak74
Honestly, I have just started my foray into researching antelope hunts so haven't nailed down a unit/units. Hell, I haven't even nailed down a state, but everyone I talk to states WY as the go to. Something really intriguing about them!

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
No need for private land in a Wyoming Antelope hunt, wouldn't even look on the list. There are plenty of goats in just about any unit. If your looking to hunt antelope, don't over think it, just go and do it. You will get 10,000 opinions on RS ranging anywhere from clothing to optics and everything in between and it would appear mine is one of those 10,000. Pick a unit, pick a date and enjoy. If you have a rifle your comfortable with to 300 yards and some optics (just about any 10x42 will do) your good. Fancy clothing will help you look the part at the gas station but jeans will work as well.

Honestly, I have just started my foray into researching antelope hunts so haven't nailed down a unit/units. Hell, I haven't even nailed down a state, but everyone I talk to states WY as the go to. Something really intriguing about them!
They're my favorite to hunt. I hunted public my first year. Last year it was private because that was the type of tag. Saw way more on public land.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
No need for private land in a Wyoming Antelope hunt, wouldn't even look on the list. There are plenty of goats in just about any unit. If your looking to hunt antelope, don't over think it, just go and do it. You will get 10,000 opinions on RS ranging anywhere from clothing to optics and everything in between and it would appear mine is one of those 10,000. Pick a unit, pick a date and enjoy. If you have a rifle your comfortable with to 300 yards and some optics (just about any 10x42 will do) your good. Fancy clothing will help you look the part at the gas station but jeans will work as well.

I would agree with everything but snubbing the LO list. Don't plan your hunt on those pieces, most are small and isolated, but some of them can make navigating the blm a little easier and they may just hold a goat or two.

I would agree with everything but snubbing the LO list. Don't plan your hunt on those pieces, most are small and isolated, but some of them can make navigating the blm a little easier and they may just hold a goat or two.
True that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
longspeak74
Thanks for all the input, guys. I've got the gun, optics and all else covered, just need to pick a spot and research! The lope my dad shot 45 years ago in WY hangs in my office, so I've always wanted one. Hunting was a hell of a lot different back then, for sure.

OP
longspeak74
Anyone willing to chat through PM? I've got some specific questions pertaining to deciphering units and navigating the WY web site.