Access to medical/scientific published articles

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
A bit of an unusual question, but can anyone fill me in on access to published medical and scientific articles? It appears to me that some of this literature is only available via paid subscription. If I'm missing some obvious and legitimate way to access information without a paid subscription, please let me know. I believe that in some parallel professional articles, the author can retain rights to distribute his or her own works, but my efforts to go down that path for one author ended up as a dead-end continuous linkage to the JAMA paid-only access to the article.

Thanks in advance.

street

WKR
Scientific journals I think are universally subscription based. Most institutions, academia, etc, pay for those subscriptions and give you access. I wonder if libraries have access or not.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Scientific journals I think are universally subscription based. Most institutions, academia, etc, pay for those subscriptions and give you access. I wonder if libraries have access or not.
Good suggestion. Will give that a shot.

Usually you need a subscription to get very far, especially if you are looking for a very specific article. If you get creative with your search and change the words/order of words sometimes you can find it for free. I believe most college kids should have access through their library (I did at least), they are easy to bribe.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Excellent tips. I am paying for a college student to attend school, so let me see. The chances of success will depend in large part on whether and to what extent my son has been studying....

mlgc20

WKR
If you're looking for a specific paper you can ofter get a copy by reaching out to one of the authors. They don't usually get money for publishing their papers. The subscription money goes to the publishers and not the authors.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If you're looking for a specific paper you can ofter get a copy by reaching out to one of the authors. They don't usually get money for publishing their papers. The subscription money goes to the publishers and not the authors.
Thanks. I think I just did that step via ResearchGate. I am not sure whether that is an automated process or not, but expect the latter.

mlgc20

WKR
Thanks. I think I just did that step via ResearchGate. I am not sure whether that is an automated process or not, but expect the latter.
And it may be different depending on the field of study. I've had good luck on a couple of Economics studies. I found out who the author was and looked up their email address using their university faculty lookup. It's been a few years though. It may have changed.

johnsd16

WKR
Almost all are paid subscriptions until about 2-3 years later, then they usually become available. The authors or an associate can pay a fee to the journal to make the article “open access” which makes it free and easy to see right away. This happened with one of my published medical papers. What journal is it in? Feel free to pm me. If it is medical I can probably get it.

zacattack

WKR
Sometimes you can purchase a single article if you want to. Your best bet is to go through a university, the larger and more research based the university the more journals it will subscribe to.

What’s the article you are looking for? I might can get it for you.

Tod osier

WKR
A bit of an unusual question, but can anyone fill me in on access to published medical and scientific articles? It appears to me that some of this literature is only available via paid subscription. If I'm missing some obvious and legitimate way to access information without a paid subscription, please let me know. I believe that in some parallel professional articles, the author can retain rights to distribute his or her own works, but my efforts to go down that path for one author ended up as a dead-end continuous linkage to the JAMA paid-only access to the article.

Thanks in advance.

All good advice. You college kid can get it for you for sure, either direct access through a subscription or through inter library loan if the university doesn't have a subscription to that journal.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Yea email the authors directly, usually not difficult to find their email/contact through university directories or something. Typically they get nothing from the fee whether subscription or one time. Most will send you a copy happily.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Almost all are paid subscriptions until about 2-3 years later, then they usually become available. The authors or an associate can pay a fee to the journal to make the article “open access” which makes it free and easy to see right away. This happened with one of my published medical papers. What journal is it in? Feel free to pm me. If it is medical I can probably get it.
JAMA - will PM you.

Tod osier

WKR
Yea email the authors directly, usually not difficult to find their email/contact through university directories or something. Typically they get nothing from the fee whether subscription or one time. Most will send you a copy happily.

If you go that route and find the article on something like google scholar the corresponding author (the one that is decided to be in charge of corresponding) will have their contact info along with the abstract.

What are you looking for. Most are paid subscription. If you look the article up on Pubmed.com sometimes the free ones show up. Happy to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
What are you looking for. Most are paid subscription. If you look the article up on Pubmed.com sometimes the free ones show up. Happy to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. “Prevention Guidelines - Bad Process, Bad Outcome” by Steven Nissen published in JAMA Internal Medicine 2014

Fatcamp

WKR
Excellent tips. I am paying for a college student to attend school, so let me see. The chances of success will depend in large part on whether and to what extent my son has been studying....

Your son can request the school librarian to access articles based upon search terms. Maybe. Depends on the school and the library.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
google sci-hub then paste the article title into the page. It’ll find it for you. I’d link it but top level domain is always changing because it may or may not be legal (it really pisses the publishers off).