Accidentally applied for a cow hunt in Arizona...What are my options?

JDeck

FNG
If you don't want the cow tag, update or block your credit card so you won't draw. With point guard you are still out the nonresident tag fee if you return your tag.

fmyth

WKR
If you draw go hunt! Same exciting hunt, most likely better tasting meat, you'll save the $1,500 taxidermy bill, and you won't have to fight with the wife about hanging your trophy in the house.

Wolfmann

FNG
I knew I couldn't be the only one!

I swear that antlerless code was very close to a lot of bull codes in that dropdown box. A simple and easy fix would be to put "bull" or "antlerless" next to the hunt code like other states do.

Not making excuses though, I take full responsibility for not double checking the codes with the reg book!
Its a blessing you didn't buy point guard. You only get to use point guard once and now you can save that for when you have a pile of points and something unexpected comes up after you have drawn the tag. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Yes you do have another option. Which is a good one. Pray! And pray some more. When you think you’ve prayed enough, keep praying 🙏

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
For some reason I thought you could call AZGFD and cancel your app all together. You wouldn’t get a bonus point, but you wouldn’t lose points on a cow tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt. I hunted cow elk in Colorado's unit 61 this fall and had a freaking blast. No way would I ever wait to have enough points in that state to hunt that unit, so to take a cow in a premier bull unit - it was a blast.

saguaro1

FNG
It sounded like you thought you would lose your loyalty point if you drew. you do not, once you get that point along with a hunter safety point you will always start over with 2 points after getting drawn.

slvrslngr

WKR
You’re likely younger than me and so feel like you’ve got the time to wait for a bull tag. But if I were you and drew the cow tag, I’d go hunt. Hunt when you have a tag and enjoy the experience. You can’t eat antlers and who knows what life will throw your way in the future.

Rich M

WKR
Just go and enjoy yourself. You'll have unit knowledge and there is no way to guaranty you'd get a bull or any elk the first time out anyway.

I did the same thing this year on accident (see my other post) and drew antlerless in 3C (thought I had applied for bull) with 4 bonus points. I was initially mortified but am actually really pumped to hunt 3C archery. I have 2 bonus points for loyalty/hunters ed so I will be going back to 2. I am going to take my 6 year old daughter and am pumped to show her what a real rut looks like (hoping for a good Sept).

Definitely learned the lesson to triple check the app though. I have been applying all over the west for many years and never had an app mishap until this year. 100% my fault but am looking forward to the hunt!

OP
D
I did the same thing this year on accident (see my other post) and drew antlerless in 3C (thought I had applied for bull) with 4 bonus points. I was initially mortified but am actually really pumped to hunt 3C archery. I have 2 bonus points for loyalty/hunters ed so I will be going back to 2. I am going to take my 6 year old daughter and am pumped to show her what a real rut looks like (hoping for a good Sept).

Definitely learned the lesson to triple check the app though. I have been applying all over the west for many years and never had an app mishap until this year. 100% my fault but am looking forward to the hunt!
Good luck on your hunt!

Still shocked I made such a simple mistake...But this thread shows I'm not alone!

I changed my credit card info so a charge wouldn't go through.

I panicked at first, thinking I didn't get my bonus point. But today my bonus point gained shows, whew!!
That’s what I would of done. Glad it worked out. Certain states I apply for are for a certain class of animal and I’d hate to burn years of points. especially in Utah and Arizona where we’re all behind the curve already.

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider

Did the same thing last year and drew unit 9 cow, signed my tag over to my 10yr old daughter and watched her shoot her first elk. Best points I’ve ever burned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk