Accubond Loads for 300 wsm???

My Harem

FNG
Starting to develope a new load and wondering is anyone has one dialed in.

I am shooting a sako 300wsm. I would like to use the 165 accubonds.

I have been looking at the forum for far too long and decided to join the conversation.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide!

Sorry, I never used 165s in my WSM. Just the 180s. Shot like hellfire. I would have to dig to find that load, but I could if you want.

OP
M

My Harem

FNG
BB,

If it is not to mush trouble.

Really enjoy your topics on digiscoping- i am doing some homework on a camera before i pick up the tines up.

Every rifle likes its own load. I am with BB that you should use the 180 or 200 grain for the higher ballistic coeffecient. Will lose some speed but the bullet will hold trajectory better. I would not bother using a load that another shooter has developed. That is just my opinion. Start with the most accurate powder tested in the nosler manual and then drop a half a grain from max and load 3 rounds. drop another half a grain and load 3 more rounds. Drop a half again and load 3 more. Clean the rifle and then shoot a fouling round and then shoot one of the groups. Clean, shoot a fouling round and shoot the next group. Repeat for the 3rd group and whatever load groups the best is your load. This method has never failed me. Rifles are like feet, some feet like a certain shoe just like rifles like a certain load.

Last edited:
Remember that when working up a load, hitting the 10 ring is not important. The group is what is important. Concentrate on your aiming point and only that point as to get the best shot off every time, no matter where on the paper that group may be.

tstowater

WKR
My 300 WSM loves 180 gr. partitions (sp's, not the other kind). I use 4831sc and Win primers and brass. Nothing fancy but shoots well. I actually found that the gun shot better when I increased the powder. I had been using a middle of the road load and went up 2 grains and shot better. I was still within max loads in the Nosler manual. Go figure. I have shot some factory 180 accubonds in the gun and shot well. I am just stubbornly holding onto the partitions.

hodgeman

WKR
I'm using 150 and 180 Accubonds in my .300WSM with RL17 powder. Mine shot the best a tad under max...the 180AB at 2950fps is a hammer. I haven't killed anything with the 150s yet and may never as the 180s do such a great job. Alliant has good load data.

Bubba

FNG
I shoot a tikka T3 300wsm, I have tried 150's 165's and 180's accubonds. I could not get good groups with 150's and 165's. Then I went to 180's and my gun liked them better. When i first started loading the 180's i was using IMR 4350 with 58 grains and was shooting 2850 FPS. I then switched to H4350 because I was having a hard time getting IMR powder. My load now is, 62 grains of H4350 with a Winchester magnum primer. I have not Chronographed it yet but in the next few weeks i will be. This load at a 100 yards zero is 1" groups. Once i get it Chronographed then I'll adjust my load to match my turret, which is for 2850 fps. I shoot a leupold VX 3 CDS. The turret is awsome when everything is dailed in. I shoot clay pigeons at 500 yards. I also shoot the Ballistic hunting tip by Nossler and have not seen much difference compared to the accubond. They are cheaper to shoot too!!!

OP
M

My Harem

FNG
Mattstanton,

agree with you totally. I have loadded for a while and agree with you my exact gun and the exact twin my friend owns shoot the same load very differently.
I bought this gun last year and ran berger 168 out of it. That load is one of the most accurate I have developed and dialed it in exactly as you describe.

I was told by a guy i respect, his opnion that 165/168 will hit as hard as a 180 bassed on the velocity. I have not done any research on this. Any opinions???

tstowater- thanks for the feed back- I found that mine was way more accurate running hot aswell.

hodgeman- appreciate the feedback as well.

I guess the real question i should have asked is what type of powders do you find work well for this caliber.

I have loaded up some 3 rounds each in .5 grain increments with reloader 19 and heading to the range tommorow. I have varying loader manuals including nosler with their recomendations.

what type of powder have you been sucessful with. My understanding is the 4350, reloader 19 are good but the reloader 17 is better based on burn rate for the short mags.

should do some spell check - but that what you get posting at 11 pm....

thanks for the feedback.

OP
M

My Harem

FNG
Bubba,

thanks for info - we will see the groupings tommorow. Might have to try 180 if it does not group well. I have the same scope and it is awesome.

tstowater

WKR
Haven't tried it, but may want to look at Hodgon's Superperformance powder. I think, but don't hold me to this, that Hornady is using it on some of its "special" loads. I bought a couple pounds, but haven't had a chance to load it in anything. Someone else may have had some feedback.