Accubond performance??

Same as everyone else, shooting 129 accubond LR from various Grendels and Creedmoors. 1300fps expansion threshold and a killer b.c.

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
Accubonds do real well in my 300 win mag. I've killed several eastern NC whitetails and a black bear with them and I think they are great. Good expansion and big exit holes. I fully intend to utilize them on an elk in October 2019

BAKPAKR

WKR
My experience with Accubonds on game has been limited to the 200 grain Accubond in a 300 RUM, going right at 3150 fps. I have shot some deer and two moose with them. Both moose were within 50 yards and I didn’t get good penetration on the first shots on either. The shot on the Idaho moose was high in the nose as the bull was looking straight at me. I was sure the bullet would go right out the back of the head but it did not. The bull did not even show any sign of being hit as he turned and ran. I thought I had missed but found some blood when I checked. I caught up with him about 75 yards out the hillside. He was still on his feet and took a couple of more shots. After I got the skull back from the taxidermist, I saw that the bullet had blown up in the sinuses. I thought this was a fluke so I used the same bullet in Maine the next year. The shot on that moose was at mid chest level between the shoulder and neck with the bull quartering strong towards me. He looked hit upon impact but ran. He needed a couple of more shots, too. I had fully expected both moose to drop in their tracks.

When I drew a Wyoming tag this year, I decided I was going to try a different bullet. I wound up with an accurate load with a 200 gr Barnes LRX that started out 140 fps slower than my Accubond load. I took a shot that was almost identical to the shot in Maine (range/angle/point of impact) and the bull went down in his tracks. I shot the moose in both Maine and Wyoming from the sitting position so I do not think my rifle was waving too wildly on either.

I know that lots of people have had great results with Accubonds out of 300 RUMs and have killed a lot more animals with them than I have. However, I cannot help suspecting that my problem was caused by a combination of high velocity plus close range plus big critter plus shots that were not broadside. I think the Accubond would have done better had it been started at the velocity of the LRX or if the shots would have been out at 150 yards or more. I also know that another explanation is that different animals react differently and some animals will drop with a certain shot placement and some will not. I guess I will just have to draw a few more moose tags to increase my sample size😁

Shoot a 300 WM with the 200 grain Accubond at about 2960 fps. Also very accurate with hodgdon H1000 powder. Its my go to caliber and bullet. Performs very well at 50 to 600 yds. The bullets expand well and retain there mass. I have taken grizzly, elk, moose, caribou, dall sheep, and whitetail with the Accubonds. Great performance every time.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with 28 Nosler and 160gr Accubonds? What velocities are you seeing, and how are they performing at the higher than 7RM velocities?

snarpezal

FNG
Have shot a few Deer with my 7STW. nothing but good results, Nosler factory load at just under 3200 in my rifle. Shot one Buck straight on in the chest at 90yds, found bullet in back ham, with a classic mushroom. Usually two holes in and out,on a broadside shot, with a golf ball sized exit.
Craig

Used 140’s in a 270 on a whitetail buck that dropped in its tracks with a double lung - small entrance and exit. My hunting buddy shot 3 elk with 200gr 300 wsm, all elk took no more than one step and went down. 2 of those exited and 1 double lung shot didn’t exit. Shot 2 elk with 225gr 338wm - both took a step and dropped and both exited. Shot a few bucks with 180’s and 165’s out of a 30-06, deer ran about 50 yards and all exited. Farthest kill has been 470 yards. My opinion - its one of the best all around bullets for what you’re looking to shoot. Good luck!

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
Shot an Aoudad ewe, nice antelope buck, and cow elk with the 140 grain with my 26 nosler this past year with shots of 700, 120, and 250 yards. Antelope and Auodad dropped right where they stood and cow elk dropped 20 yards from where I shot her. Accubonds are great IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you thought about shooting a 175 gr partition? I shoot the 180 gr AB out of my 30-06, nothing but good things to say, but if I had a long action 7mm especially a STW I would probably go with a 175 gr partion, it's probably the best hunting round on the market and you're getting better ballistics, BC .519 and SD .310, that's better than my 30 cal 180 gr ABs. Just a thought.

elkguide

WKR
From my observations of a lot of game taken with AB's I only saw one animal (elk) that the bullet didn't perform well.

When I use Nosler bullets it's going to be a Partition. I have 2 .300 Win Mag rifles that shoot anything that I stuff in them, 3/4" or better, except for Accubonds. I really wanted the Accubonds to work for me but with the Accubonds the best groups that I could get were right around 1 1/2".

OP
MtnOyster

MtnOyster

WKR
Update:: since I started this thread my 7STW gave me some issues early after I started the OP, long story short it was blowing primers and having a hard time extracting the Nosler round only, and accuracy fell way off, I sent the rifle to savage and their gunsmiths had to ream the chamber to specs then polished, the rifle is now at another gunsmith being pillar and glass bedded, I've also picked up 2 boxes of the Nosler 140 grn partitions.
Can't wait to get this rifle back and get the scope mounted back on it and see what differences these things are gonna make.

Not trying to jack my own thread but could you guys give me some input on the 140 partitions also????

elkguide

WKR
The Partions, from my experience, are very effective and one of the most solid bullets out there. I don't find them to be quite as accurate as say the ballistic tips are but they are deadly as a hunting bullet. If I am going to use a Nosler bullet on elk, definitely going to be a Partition.

Jardo

WKR
Since this is in the long range forum, I assume you want to go long range. Partitions are great hunting bullets, but no serious long range hunter is using them. They just don’t have high bc and won’t buck the wind. With the STW, you should be good at moderate ranges, but the partitions aren’t my choice for long range.

My first choice for long range is actually Berger. In my 280 AI, I shoot 160 Gr ABs out to 800 yards though. I also shoot 140 grn accubonds in my 270 win but usually don’t shoot past 400 yards. I kill dozens of deer, goats, pigs every year and they all get plugged with accubonds. I’ve never lost an animal with them yet. Just like anything else, you gotta do your job and hit them in the boiler room.

However, I’ve never in my entire life shot a moose in the nose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
MtnOyster

MtnOyster

WKR
Since this is in the long range forum, I assume you want to go long range. Partitions are great hunting bullets, but no serious long range hunter is using them. They just don’t have high bc and won’t buck the wind. With the STW, you should be good at moderate ranges, but the partitions aren’t my choice for long range.

My first choice for long range is actually Berger. In my 280 AI, I shoot 160 Gr ABs out to 800 yards though. I also shoot 140 grn accubonds in my 270 win but usually don’t shoot past 400 yards. I kill dozens of deer, goats, pigs every year and they all get plugged with accubonds. I’ve never lost an animal with them yet. Just like anything else, you gotta do your job and hit them in the boiler room.

However, I’ve never in my entire life shot a moose in the nose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually I have the HSM 168gn Berger VLD's and haven't got to shoot them since I've had this rifle worked on, but looking forward to putting them down range.

Dusty2426

WKR
I’ve shot 160 partition in my stw for years and 863 being my longest cow elk kill. Are they the best long range bullet by the numbers no. But if I can get a partition to shoot it is ALWAYS my first choice bullet.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
This thread started about Accubond performance. I have used the bullet in different calibers on elk usually with good success- bang elk staggers around for a few seconds and drops. Bullet often doesn't exit but makes great mushroom. I have always thought the perfect hunting bullet would be the partition with a plastic accubond tip.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
i have shot 2 does( both a hundred pounds not to big)with the acubonds with a 300 weatherby mag 180 gr. 100 yards each. one droped instaly the second one run sixty yards and droped big blood trail pieces of lung and heart matter.they are good i cant get them anymore with the weatherby brand loads. so i will try barnes ttsx are they any good.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Since this is in the long range forum, I assume you want to go long range. Partitions are great hunting bullets, but no serious long range hunter is using them. They just don’t have high bc and won’t buck the wind.
I took a bedded antelope buck at 548 yards with a 180 Partition in my 300 WSM. It was a one shot and dead scenario. I suppose "long range" is how you define it. Regardless, inside 600+ yards there's nothing wrong with a Partition, and it is still a fantastic bullet. As to Accubonds, I've shot a good number of deer, elk and antelope with the 165 in my 308. Farthest kill was 403 yards, with great results. I've found them finicky, but if you can get them to shoot they're excellent.