Accura Or TC Pro Hunter

Im new to Muzzle loading the TC pro hunter encore still a viable option?
or should i go for CVA Acura MRX
i know Thompson center is not in production currently, but i found one on a shelf
nobody local has the cva

last time i was in the market for smoke pole i looked at every major mfg and ended with a CVA Acura V2 LR. One of my deciding factors was the triggers on the TC's were horrible, felt like 10+ lbs. The CVA was 3.5-4lbs. CVA has lifetime warranty and bergara barrel

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Things to consider
The MRX rod is for LOADING ONLY because using BH209 is getting so popular and you dont need to swab. Its only held together with a bungie cord if its like the Paramount collapsible rod. So if you plan on using a powder that needs swabbing you are SOL. You will need to buy a rod for cleaning and carry one if you need to swab between shots.

The MRX is available in SS and Nitride over SS. Both are superior to Weathershield which does nothing to protect the bore.

The CVA quick release plugs are mostly a better design than most Encore plugs. The old Omega/Encore style plug and the Pro Hunter FX are the only exceptions. The Pro Hunter FX plug is better in terms of igniting BH209.

T/C does not have a very good track record for a good QLA. They are often cut off center from the bore so shooting full bore bullets like concials can be more challenging. The CVA QLA is shorter in length and cut on center.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
One of my deciding factors was the triggers on the TC's were horrible, felt like 10+ lbs. The CVA was 3.5-4lbs.
I have only owned one Accura model but handled many of the CVAs. Ive yet to see an Optima or better that the trigger was not adequate or better. The Accura V2s or better are adjustable but really good right out of the box. I thought mine was exceptional for a stock trigger on a ML.

Jimss

WKR
I can hit a 6” circle every shot at 200 yards with my pro hunter and a 1x scope and sabots. With higher power scope it would be tighter group than that. I think that’s what counts?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I think a company that is still around and available to deal with possible CS issues is a major concern too. Good luck with that considering T/C is more or less gone until someone buys them from S&W. They have not been exactly great with supplying even breech plugs for older models such as the BlackDiamond and the Redemption aka Strike. When those parts are dried up you are SOL until a 3rd party makes some.

I dont see CVA going away anytime soon and their CS for warranty issues is usually excellent. :cool:

Last edited:
Very happy with my stainless accura v2. The optional breachplug for blackhorn powder has worked perfectly. It shot good enough for me with open sights right from the git go with one or two powder adjustments. I typically shoot deer with open sites inside 100yds. Whenever more blackhorn and everything else becomes available again I think that I will be able to really fine tune a load for it and stretch it out a bit further.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Knight Ultralighgt is one you should consider.
While i LOVE Knights and own several i think its important to know the level of the OP. Such as how familiar they are with using MLs. The learning curve with Knights could be a tiny bit more for some people. The majority of new CVAs are "newb" friendly. Get the plug you need and go shoot. Its a simple design with only one part that is a little hard to clean easily.

Not that a Knight is complicated for anyone that can take down a typical bolt action for cleaning but it is a little more effort. Once you know your Knight its a wonderful rifle. The UL in 45 is one of the best rifles out there if you are not required to shoot a 50cal. A couple tweeks and not much in light weight models will touch them.

With that said if CVA offered a basic Optima V2 in 45cal and the bore was not oversized i would buy one. This is coming from someone that shoots nothing but Knights and smokeless ML rifles.

I have the Accura MR and the T/C Encore 209x50 with the Flextech stock. I like them both equally well. I find that I have to close the Accura action with some force or I can’t cock the hammer. Both are great. My Accura has a much better trigger.

kinross

FNG
The Acura V2 is a good muzzleloader and mine shoots a inch or better at 100 yards. I use Blackhorn 209 powder and also use their breech plug . 240 Grain XTPs fly well out of it and puts a good hole in things when it connects.