Accuracy issues - where to start

Zoso5150

WKR
I have had one of the “famous” Ruger M77 Mk II in .30-06 with the black Zytel skeleton stock since the 90’s but I cant get it to shoot well.
Ive had the stock off a couple times but re-torqued to spec when I assembled it back together. Barrell is clean. Hand loads or factory will do no better than a 4” or 5” group at 200 yds. Tried several scopes over the hears, same results. Back when, I did shoot the 55 gr. plastic sabot’d rounds through it a few times for grins. Are those rough on a barrel? And Im sure I cleaned the barrell from the muzzle end many times.
How likely is a simple recrowning to bring back some accuracy?

cmahoney

WKR
I had one of those rifles and replaced the stock with one of these. It made the difference. Has it ever shot well?

Have the same thing in a .25-06 that I got for my first deer rifle in 1999. Shot factory Federal Premium ammo through it loaded with the Nosler Partition bullet. Shot prob 3" groups at 100 yards its whole like with that ammo. I hand loaded 120 gr. Nosler Partitions and it would shoot prob 1" groups at 100 yards rather consistently with the occasional "1 hole 3 shot group" about one out of ten times. But, handloading did make it more consistent. I tried re-crowing and a H-S Precision stock...again, no big gains, just aided in consistency. It sits now in it original factory form, it still shoots well. I use factory Hornady Precision Hunter ammo and it ill hit 10" steel out to 350 yards no problem. It has never been a precision rifle, but, it has never missed a deer out to 440 yards. This rifle, it just is what it is.

OP
Zoso5150

Zoso5150

WKR
That’s interesting to hear, I guess it just is what it is. I’ll play around with some more hand loads some day.

bowstruck

FNG
is the barrel floated? also, when shooting are you resting on a bag on the stock or barrel? Having the barrel float and not touch the stock or a bag when shooting will help to produce the best results. Obviously there are several variables to consider which affect accuracy. I would evaluate each variable one at a time to help pinpoint where you can improve accuracy.

well the last ruger rifle i owned i bought about 1978 it was a turd from the get go. had it about a month and got rid of it. nothing i did from the stock to the action and barrel would make it shot. replaced it with a Remington and been happy ever sincs.