Accuracy tanked.

First off, don’t holler at me, I’m sensitive.

Haven’t cleaned my Barrett 30-06 for about a year. Really don’t have but maybe 40 rounds through it I’m guessing.

Went out today and the same ammo that was shooting 3/4” is now 2.5” at 100 yards.

Any chance it’s just copper corrosion?

Can I just keep sending a patch soaked with Butch’s to thoroughly clean or is there a better route?

Nothing seems loose. Haven’t had it apart since then. Scope is tight, action screws are tight, all is torqued.

Scope is a Zeiss Z6.

Frustrating, considering I’ve got an elk hunt this fall and I simply went out to confirm and Nope! Not today.

Ammo is Federal Premium 180 Accu Bond.

Trigger is set at 2lbs. Granted, I haven’t shot for awhile, but 2.5” means something is off.

freddyG

WKR
First thing I would do is clean it. Not that it needs it, or thats the problem, but it’s an easy step.

If no change, then mount a known good scope on it.

OP
Buckshot85
The scope has been on it for awhile. I shot a mule deer at 358 yards in October of 2020.

40 rounds is since it’s been cleaned last. There’s about 180-200 rounds through the barrel.

OP
Buckshot85
I guess I’ll get scrubbed and give it a good check up and try again.
I know my eyes are changing. I haven’t tried shooting with glasses.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Things I would try
Clean barrel, CLR dose a great job
Remove action from stock and re torque
Check barrel clearance to stock, I have seen some change over time, weather, humidity
Remount scope, torque
See if a local gun smith can bore scope it
Try a different scope, that’s a great scope and I have never had a problem with one, but it can still have a problem
Lastly try some different ammo for the hell of it

Was your parallax set properly? Can cause havoc with your groups. Also mirage and barrel mirage depending on the conditions you were shooting.

OXN939

WKR
I guess I’ll get scrubbed and give it a good check up and try again.
I know my eyes are changing. I haven’t tried shooting with glasses.

You've got something else going on. If the ammo was left in a hot car over summer, that could potentially do it. Regarding the rifle, I'd clean the bore with a wet patch with solvent, followed by a bore brush wrapped with dry patch. Then remove the action from the stock, make sure everything is put together correctly, and torque the action screws to 40 in pounds.

If that doesn't work, try taking off the optic, cleaning and degreasing the surface of every screw and surface they interface with, and reassembling with blue loctite and the proper torque settings.

If that doesn't work, PM me to work out a trade.

Kidding about that last part. Kind of.

OP
Buckshot85
Parallax was adjusted but like I mentioned earlier my eyes are definitely changing.
New territory for me.
Temp was 36*, partly cloudy with a 10 mph quartering wind at my back.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a good list.
Appreciate the input guys, really.
One other thing, I went shooting with a friend last fall they are a good shot, we started at 100 to check zero, then stretch it out to a grand, all good along the way there then back to a 100 for the last shot, all of a sudden 5 inches high and right 🤔 then all over the place until they ran out of ammo. Next day back at range I shot the gun dead on 🤔 2 more rounds all good, so they tried and everything was good. Moral of the story sometimes we have bad days, I think they pulled the shot and it got in there head, and went bad from there

OP
Buckshot85
One other thing, I went shooting with a friend last fall they are a good shot, we started at 100 to check zero, then stretch it out to a grand, all good along the way there then back to a 100 for the last shot, all of a sudden 5 inches high and right 🤔 then all over the place until they ran out of ammo. Next day back at range I shot the gun dead on 🤔 2 more rounds all good, so they tried and everything was good. Moral of the story sometimes we have bad days, I think they pulled the shot and it got in there head, and went bad from there
That’s a good thought. Appreciate that. I’ll get after it in the next few days and wait for the next mid 30s day or two to pull the trigger again.

ElPollo

WKR
I haven’t cleaned a rifle barrel in 4 years. And if leaving ammo in your truck causes accuracy issues then I shouldn’t be able to hit the broad side of a barn. If I had a major change in accuracy, I would check mount and action screw torque, and make sure the barrel crown didn’t get dinged. After that, I’d suspect the scope.

OXN939

WKR
And if leaving ammo in your truck causes accuracy issues then I shouldn’t be able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Notice I said "could potentially do it." It's possible that you may not notice the degree to which your propellant/ ammo is affected, but storing either of these at temps over 100*F is universally bad for them. Just a troubleshooting idea, since the interval the OP mentions would include a summer.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.07.52 PM.png

OP
Buckshot85
My ammo is stored in the basement which is cooled and dehumidified.

The rifle has been in my bench cradle the whole time.

Zappaman

WKR
I'd pull the scope and mounts, de-grease it all, clean it with alcohol and re-set my mounts with loktite blue. I'd bet you find gun oil under your mounts (at least that's what I find about ever time I fix a gun for someone with this problem). Re-mount scope, using proper torque specs and re-site. I'll bet you a dollar your problems go away.

I JUST yesterday did this for a buddy's 300 RUM. I could have oiled a windmill with the oil under his mounts ;)

Last edited: