Accuracy with a recurve and longbow only

a3dhunter

WKR
I am curious as to what degree of accuracy you reasonably expect when shooting at 20 yards and 30 yards with traditional archery equipment without sights.

Of course, we should always strive to improve, but what would you expect to be able to go hunting?

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Not real sure what you are asking, but i expect to kill any elk 30 yards or less every shot with my longbow. Some can shoot farther, but thats my personal effective range.
If you are asking how tight of group I can hold @ 20 yards not real sure since most of my pratice is 1 arrow @ a time, but I would say 6" circle.

Last edited:

aggieland

WKR
I started shooting the longbow last October and I can now keep all my shots on a Reinheart 18-1 target at 45 yds or less. Group size at 20 yds varies on how well i'm shooting that day.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
A few years back I passed on eleven deer under 20 yards only to harvest 2 at 40 and 50 yards. I call the shot as they come. If I no I can make it the arrow will hit it's mark. Sometimes at shot feels right or it doesn't. When in doubt don't take it. Trad archery is all about confidence. Of course I prefer everything at 15 yards.

"what degree of accuracy you reasonably expect when shooting at 20 yards and 30 yards with traditional archery equipment without sights" & "to be able to go hunting" Traditionalist's have stated for ions if you can hit a 9" pie plate then you are good to go. Most of those statements are Whitetail mentality while we all know an Elk kill zone is double. I expect every arrow to be in the kill zone for myself. Shoot the stick and get "confident", its almost to me like getting an attitude, for whatever Lord knows reason the animals I have shot with my bow I have mentally stated "I can make this shot" and do.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I appreciate the responses, I know it is a hard question to answer. It leaves a lot unsaid....

at the same time, plenty of people start out with trad equip and wonder when they are competent to go hunting.

For instance, I know I can walk out the back door and my first shot at 20 yards will hit the paper plate size every time, but have not shot past that distance due to the limits of my yard.
I have been focusing on technique and consistency, and getting a "feel" for the shot.
Without having other traditional archers to shoot with, I've wondered how good is good?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
When it really counts (actually shooting at game) I think most would be more accurate than just shooting in the back yard. I think that's the whole paper plate comes from. That's also why I say only shoot one arrow,dont shoot from the same spot twice in a row and use broadheads for simulating hunting situations. Also shooting 3 arrows and putting everything in those 3 is better than shooting 30 and only giving 75%. Also going out before work or whenever really and just shooting one shoot will improve your accuracy.

Have you ever gone out to practice and your first few shots are right in there and then you start hitting all over?
My 2cents

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Have you ever gone out to practice and your first few shots are right in there and then you start hitting all over?
My 2cents

Actually, just the other night.
First shot was 1" left at 20, next shot was bulls eye, next shot touching that shaft.
Kept them all within 4" (8" total grouping) with an occasional flyer once about every 10-12 arrows.
Wife came home and stopped shooting for about 10 minutes while talking to her, walked back out, refocused and drilled another bulls eye.

Just put it off to luck.....;)

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a 27 yard group I shot the other night. This rarely happens........Its usually not this good. I guess I was in the "Zone"
attachment.php

G Posik

WKR
I have days that you could blind fold me and I can shoot the eye out if a Nat at 20the yds. Then there's the days where I can not hit the broad side of a barn at 20yds. If have confidence in yourself then go get'em.

Glenn

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I find for one shot at any distance I have excellent "focus". Groups past 30 yards always have a flier or two.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I have days that you could blind fold me and I can shoot the eye out if a Nat at 20the yds. Then there's the days where I can not hit the broad side of a barn at 20yds. If have confidence in yourself then go get'em.

Glenn

I think that best describes the highs and lows of instinctive shooting....well said.

B

bearguide

i am glad everyone has off days and fliers, so i don't feel alone