Accuracy

LostArra

WKR
I shoot carbons almost exclusively these days and all I own are trad bows. They are the most consistent in weight and spine, straightest, strongest, most forgiving, and quickest recovering from archers paradox material out there. The lure of the longbow is the simplicity of equipment and enriched experience of the hunt. What shaft material you use doesn't really change that for me, although I do enjoy making wood shafted arrows as a craft.

I've heard carbon arrows described as either "broken, lost or perfect" which can't be said for aluminum or wood.

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard carbon arrows described as either "broken, lost or perfect" which can't be said for aluminum or wood.
Pretty much. I switched to carbons reluctantly about 8-10 years ago because I got tired of my labor intensive wood shafts breaking while squirrel hunting. Aluminums were a joke for small game hunting. Rocks and tree trunks are pretty brutal on shafting. Now it’s just about all I shoot. I still have some of the shafts from my first dozen that I hunt regularly.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Are you shooting off the hand or off a shelf? I shoot my selfbows off the hand which makes the hand placement and grip important. You might try paying particular attention to the precise location of your hand and how you are holding the bow. Best,

OP
C
Are you shooting off the hand or off a shelf? I shoot my selfbows off the hand which makes the hand placement and grip important. You might try paying particular attention to the precise location of your hand and how you are holding the bow. Best,
Off a shelf. I think part of my problem was expanding both shoulders for the shot, and being overbowed. I dropped to 54lbs and feel like I’m gaining some traction

I’ve wanted to kill a deer with a complete scratch build since I was a kid. I built this as a practice run since I hadn’t built a bow in about 10 years. I cut an ash tree a couple years ago that was gonna be the stave. That twisted really bad in the drying process so I’m thinking of hunting with this bow for the upcoming season and trying to find someone who will let me cut an ash stave in the meantime. I have some broadheads I made, and some rawhide from this past seasons whitetail that I’d like to use as a backing.
awesome goal man! kinda the holy grail of modern hunting.

this is a local guy around here, I have watched this video a bunch of times, one of my favorite hunting films.... inspiring

OP
C
awesome goal man! kinda the holy grail of modern hunting.

this is a local guy around here, I have watched this video a bunch of times, one of my favorite hunting films.... inspiring

Thanks. That guy is pretty cool. I've watched that a bunch of times too. It seems like he had an article on this in Traditional Bowhunter. I'm gonna hunt with this bow a bit this year, with carbons and grizzlies because that's what I have for arrows right now. I have some trade points I made, and I'm looking into cutting some poplar, making some squares and then a couple different options for jigs. I kinda need access to the planer at work and with current situation I don't wanna encroach on the carpenter's space at the moment. Acquiring and building my gear should keep me busy the next year or so. Lots of tinkering in the future.