Accuracy

Bghntr416

FNG
If I can't get a big game rifle to shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards I keep playing with different loads till it does. If that doesn't work I start to look for other problems. Wasn't long ago that most people were pretty happy with that and I am still good with it for some of my rifles. I hunt with my rifles and I don't always need a rifle to shoot past 300 yards. I am not opposed to shooting farther. I just like to get closer. I have a few rifles that are .5 moa rifles if I do my part which is not easy to do. But my centerfire varmint rifles must be tack drivers. 5 shot groups under .75 at a hundred for the most part.

For me it depends on the rifle, its intended use including distance, and the targeted species.

At the same distance, a smaller target requires more accuracy than a larger target. There is a lot more room for error when targeting an elk in the lungs at 500 yards than doing the same with a Coues at the same distance.

I only focus on what the rifle will consistently do at the range with a cold bore three-shot group using a bipod and rear rest. This closely mimics most of my hunting shots but under a more ideal environment (never have seen a shooting bench and/or lead sled in the woods). I want 0.50 MOA or better for my long(er) range rifles and about 0.75 MOA for everything else. I do have a 30-06 that will do 1 MOA with just about anything run through it. No issues with it as that is fine for what it gets used for.

There's a nearly limitless amount of things that can come into play once in the field that can negatively impact your shooting. By setting a requirement to have a relatively small "shooting range" group size, it gives me a lot more wiggle room once out in the field. I still have to periodically take a pass but that is more to do with me rather than any real or perceived shortcoming with my setup.

robtattoo

WKR
Inch and a half is fine for me. 3 rounds or thirty. If it'll put them all into that size group, i'm all giggly out to 300 which is 90% of my hunting.
My 'out west' gun is a bit better at right at 1.2" & i'll push that to 500.

WCB

WKR
100% 1" gun for big game. For predator and varmint guns....nothing over .75". lets say 5 shot groups. I also shoot factory ammo so it has to be with a good hunting bullet not a match bullet or a match bullet remarketed for hunting.

I have a couple guns that shoot 1.5" (model 600 .308 and Savage 99 .243)