Acetone and arrows (PSA, check your arrows)

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
When I refletched my arrows, I used acetone to remove some of the glue and some ran down the shaft (no more than 15 seconds before I wiped it off). Some of the paint by the logo/design dissolved but I figured it was fine.

I went to go shoot today and on my third shot my arrow looked real weird when it hit the target. When I went up to it it was dangling. My guess is that the acetone did something with the structural integrity of the carbon and caused it to split/crack. I check my arrows on the way back from the target but since this was the first round of shooting, I didn't.

This arrow probably had less 20 shots on it. I don't think it was caused by anything but the acetone. I'm not 100% sure I shot this arrow since I refletched them but I probably did.

It could have been bad for both me and the bow and I'm grateful nothing catastrophic happened. Just want to put it fresh in everyones minds so hopefully something bad can be avoided.

Also, I won't use acetone anymore. I tossed the doz arrows I just fletched up and I'm going to stick with my rampages for both of my bows.

Arrow was a Bloodsport Punisher 300

Attachments

• IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 70

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Doubt that was from the acetone. You got lucky shooting that arrow! Could have been one of those nasty pics with the splinters every which way through you hand/wrist.

bsnedeker

WKR
I use acetone on every arrow I've ever fletched. Never had a problem.

OP
E

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I guess it's possible it's not, maybe a bad batch of carbon?

I can see acetone weakening the spine from dissolving some of the epoxy in the carbon, those are broken carbon fibers. Looks like something impacted that shaft and damaged it.

I have cleaned labels off shafts and rechecked the spine on different arrows, I haven't ever seen a difference with black eagle or gold tip arrows.