Achilles Rub

Got an odd issue I need help defining -- for reference, left foot is ~1/4 size larger than the right.

No matter the boot manufacturer or style I try, my left Achilles rubs going downhill. It's almost like where the boots pinch/flex in the back, it rubs. I size appropriately to my left foot so it doesn't slip at all, but still get this issue, and it's only when going downhill.

I have tried liner socks (doesn't make a difference), lacing different ways (hasn't made a difference yet), many different boots both flexible (Vivo Barefoot Tracker FG, least amount of rub by far) and Lowa Tibet (way too stiff for my feet), and taping it (works but shouldn't have to do this every time...). My current boot is Schnee's Timberline and I love them, but still have the achilles rub on the left foot when going downhill only. It is almost exactly where the black leather section is on the back of the boot for flex.

I cannot imagine this is a sizing issue as my boots are sized properly to my larger left foot, but I'm out of ideas since I have this issue with every boot. At this point I'm just thinking my left achilles is prone to flaring up and trail shoes are the only option. About the only thing that doesn't rub, aside from running shoes, are cowboy boots and my LaCrosse boots.

Anyone familiar with this issue and able to help me identify what the problem is and how to resolve it?

JohnB

WKR
If you didn't tape it up would you end up with a visible sore spot or does it feel like the issue is under the skin? Can you find a small hill and video what your boots are doing to see if they are creasing against the Achilles? Seems like a strange problem, good luck figuring it out.