Ackley improved hand loading question

mobertok

FNG
Hello, I am looking for a step by step instruction list.
Thinking about getting or having a 25-06 Ai or 280 Ai built. I really don't know the process for hand loading these. I see that there is brass commercially made now but would it be good for a custom built gun? I know 280 brass and fire form.
Seems like I read somewhere that the comercial Ai is not the same as what P.O. Ackley did?

mcr-85

WKR
I have two ackley chambered rifles. .22-250ai and .223ai. First step is shoot either factory or reloads in the original version of the cartridge to fire form the case. Second step is to reload your new fireformed case and do load development.

I think .280ai brass is made per saami specs. .280ai is on my list to own someday and when I do, I'll buy .280ai brass and not worry about fire forming it myself.

.25-06ai will be a wildcat and you'll have to fireform that.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 22-250 ackley and a 280ai on order. You can either shoot the parent cartridge factory ammo or load your own. I fire form using trailboss and cheap bullets but you can use full strength loads. Some folks say the bullet should be touching lands when fire forming but I haven't found that to be necessary.

OP
mobertok

mobertok

FNG
Thanks guys, I assume you have to run the brass through a Ackley improved die after fire forming?

Marble

WKR
Thanks guys, I assume you have to run the brass through a Ackley improved die after fire forming?
For sure.

RCBS will make a set of dyes out of fired brass from your gun if you want it. Just call and enquire. I had it done for my AI.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

chemist

FNG
I used to run a 223ai and a 243ai.

What is your goal with your gun?

For a lot of big game type rifles I have decided that I don't like AI cartridges. The fatter case makes the case not feed as smoothly. You do gain a little on case capacity but not enough to be worth the cost and possibility of not feeding correctly in my opinion.

The big advantage in my opinion is that cases do not grow as much when full length resizing, and consequently you have to trim the brass less. For this reason I like a cartridges for high volume applications where feeding is less critical like target shooting or pdogs. For big game I have decided I want a bit of taper in the case.

As with everything, personal preference rules supreme. Best of luck with whatever cartridge you choose.

Eric Ward

FNG
I fire formed 280 AI from 280 brass with no issues before I switched to Peterson commercial brass. 280 AI commercial brass is pricey though.

Bearman

FNG
I have been shooting a 25-06AI since early 2005, back then I got a bunch of Remington core-lock ammo for cheap and fireformed those, I bought a dedicated 25-06AI dies from Redding (hope they still make those??) and never looked back........ wicked speed.