Action Screw Torque for my rifles?

Dan23

FNG
Just was curious on how many lbs should my action screws torque be set at on my rifles. The reason i ask is, incase i ever want to adjust my trigger pull or change out a rifle to a different mag holder.

1. Tikka T3 lite .308

2. Bergara B14 (wood stock) .308

3. Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed .270 (can't get good groups out this rifle for some reason, maybe its the action screws?)

4 Weatherby vanguard .270

I figure a good start point would be 35lbs and work my way up from there in 5lbs increments.

Wrench

WKR
You will be closer to double that. It varies by pitch, but 65"/lbs is pretty safe for all the above.

eamyrick

WKR
In my experience do not torque the Tikka to 65inlbs. 65 caused issues with the safety and trigger. The stock and plastic trigger guard flexed. 35-40 worked fine. For wood stocks i stick to 35 and 40 for most others. A heavy duty tactical rifle that pillar bedded will take 65 inch lbs.

Zappaman

WKR
ALL my savages when received get pulled apart, triggers tweaked, and re-assembled with the front bolt as tight as I can get it (the rear bolt just needs to be snug enough to not turn). This is "Savage 101" stuff but I'm sure it applies to many makes. Can't "bed" these new plastic actions as easily as the old wood ones, so the newer pillars in the plastic stocks work pretty good- but torque that front bolt down good every time!

Last edited:

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
The folks at Mountain Tactical recommend 35 in-lbs for wood stock Tikkas and 45 in-lbs for synthetic stock Tikkas. I have my Superlite torqued to 35 in-lbs and it’s great.

Leroy91

FNG
Just was curious on how many lbs should my action screws torque be set at on my rifles. The reason i ask is, incase i ever want to adjust my trigger pull or change out a rifle to a different mag holder.

1. Tikka T3 lite .308

2. Bergara B14 (wood stock) .308

3. Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed .270 (can't get good groups out this rifle for some reason, maybe its the action screws?)

4 Weatherby vanguard .270

I figure a good start point would be 35lbs and work my way up from there in 5lbs increments.
45 inch lbs on the front action screw, 35 on the rear, if synthetic.