Active Mil. Flying Home to Washington - WDFW private access experience?

jakeaba

FNG
Good day all!

I am a washington resident, but unfortunately stationed in New Orleans. The one blessing was I finally got some time off from being stationed on ships and gone all the time and took up hunting down here. Grateful for that.

I am trying to plan an archery trip home and noticed WDFW has worked with private land owners to grant access. I'm trying to read through the regs and it seems alot of them you need to go to the property in person to get the address, then write the landowner. This is where dilemna lies, is it worth it to try and find someone at home to try and visit one or two of these locations and get the address? Or do they become flooded with people as well. I was originally planning on doing a backpack hunt into National Forest land , but really, as my first deer trip out west I don't know where to start.......

Any help or experience with this greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jacob

I don't know much about the private access program that they have going on but what part of WA would you think about doing a NF land hunt in? I might be able to point you towards some spots to check out depending on where you're trying to go.

Jacob,

I have sought out access at a number of the private access program lands and here is what I can conclude.

Hunt By Written Permission sites are about 15% success rate from my experience, most of the time they just don't answer and won't call you back if you leave a voicemail. However, when they do answer or call you back they are usually great people that want you to have a good experience on their land.

Hunt By Reservation are your best bet, you can jump online two weeks prior to the day you want to hunt at 0800 PST and reserve a spot on your property of choice. There are a lot of them and they are managed through the WDFW website so you don't have to waste your time trying to contact the landowners.

Hope this makes your decision a little easier.

Todd

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Hey! Thanks for the replies guys! Super helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
I don't know much about the private access program that they have going on but what part of WA would you think about doing a NF land hunt in? I might be able to point you towards some spots to check out depending on where you're trying to go.

Honestly, I am open to going wherever the animals are. I am flying into Tri cities to see my parents en route. Been reading wdfw info on harvest stats etc. but without ever having witnessed a hunting season on NF lands I am intimidated to pick a spot online, fly out, rent a car and get to that trailhead etc and find 2000 other cars there haha. I’m not afraid of putting in miles, but I’m sure other people aren’t either.

Again, first hunt for deer or elk out west and with a bow, so I expect to strike out but am excited for the week of learning!

Honestly, I am open to going wherever the animals are. I am flying into Tri cities to see my parents en route. Been reading wdfw info on harvest stats etc. but without ever having witnessed a hunting season on NF lands I am intimidated to pick a spot online, fly out, rent a car and get to that trailhead etc and find 2000 other cars there haha. I’m not afraid of putting in miles, but I’m sure other people aren’t either.

Again, first hunt for deer or elk out west and with a bow, so I expect to strike out but am excited for the week of learning!

Right on, got the right idea anyways! So you'll be there for the September archery season I'm guessing? Not the late archery in Nov.?

MtnMuley

WKR
I would steer clear of the WDFW/private landowners program. Your plan on hunting the NF is much better. Also, don't overlook WDFW and state land pieces. Thanks for your service!

Bachto

WKR

During archery season the private access areas aren’t terrible actually from my experience as far as people go, even the feel free to hunt ones.

A lot of areas on the east slope of the cascades in NF land would be where I would start if I was going to archery hunt here this year. Use the typical strategies for early season mule deer.

Another option if you are just wanting meat is to find the units that you can shoot a whitetail doe and you might have more opportunities for stalking. At a minimum you would learn a ton about stalking.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
I would steer clear of the WDFW/private landowners program. Your plan on hunting the NF is much better. Also, don't overlook WDFW and state land pieces. Thanks for your service!

Thanks for your support!

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
During archery season the private access areas aren’t terrible actually from my experience as far as people go, even the feel free to hunt ones.

A lot of areas on the east slope of the cascades in NF land would be where I would start if I was going to archery hunt here this year. Use the typical strategies for early season mule deer.

Another option if you are just wanting meat is to find the units that you can shoot a whitetail doe and you might have more opportunities for stalking. At a minimum you would learn a ton about stalking.

Good idea, thanks. What’s funny is I own a small piece of land in blue mountains , but it’s about 300 yards into Oregon just outside of walla walla, but didn’t draw an eastern Oregon deer archery tag . Haha I see whitetail there all the time

Yeah, I liked the look of Teanaway from when I did some e scouting. May start somewhere in that vicinity. My in laws used to live off 810 I think it was, near Ellensburg, and id see elk on their property during late winter when they got pushed down.

Jacob,

What unit are you looking at primarily? As far as the private access, I have had success looking up landowners on WDFW and contacting for written permission. As someone mentioned reservation is much easier but significantly less options.

Here you can see your options: https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/locations/private-lands#types

Easiest way is to go to the hunt planner, turn on the layer for private land access and it will show you feel free to hunt, written permission, or reservation: https://geodataservices.wdfw.wa.gov/hunt-planner/

You'll want to cross reference this with OnX to get landowner details to contact them ahead of time for permission if it's needed. Also, it doesn't hurt to reach out to private land owners not listed here, have gotten plenty of permission that way also.

As others mentioned don't sleep on BLM / State land, have killed some nice deer in those areas. Just be prepared to see other hunters.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Thanks! I will be hunting unit 154, from what I’ve seen driving around it’s whitetail. Are there Muleys in that area?

Found several feel free to hunt spots I think I will check out. Thanks for everyone’s help, hoping to get a buck this year and get some good knowledge on hunting out west!

Bachto

WKR
Thanks! I will be hunting unit 154, from what I’ve seen driving around it’s whitetail. Are there Muleys in that area?

Found several feel free to hunt spots I think I will check out. Thanks for everyone’s help, hoping to get a buck this year and get some good knowledge on hunting out west!

There's a few around definitely but majority whitetail

When I had similar questions the biologist was very helpful.
It took several trys to get him on the phone, but a good place to start if you do some research and have questions about specific properties.

I got the impression most of the hunt with written permission places we leased out.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Good idea, thank you!

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Coming from the south, where I hear whitetail don’t have to drink in summer months because they have so much green vegetation……would it be a good tactic to hunt the water sources with the hot weather walla walla has been getting? Or just glass any basins I can find and wait for them to feed out?

Thanks ! Leaving Wednesday, can’t wait!