Activities/restaurants in Oahu, Hawaii

Diving off the rocks at Waimea Bay! Man it’s been too long since I went back there.

fun to throw a gainer for tourist chicks and surf pinballs.

the river wave when Waimea river gets backed up is epic fun too. If the Eddie happens to run do everything you can to watch it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My wife and I have been to almost all the islands. Oahu is pretty fun and has lots to do. Make sure to do the Diamond Head hike. Go early and hike all the way to the top. Awesome view. Pearl Harbor is special for sure. Taking the boat out and seeing the oil still rising is surreal.

For your next trip make sure to go to the big island. By far our favorite island.

Waimea bay jump rock, Waimea valley,
Keiki beach for sunset. (Insane shore break)
The Eddie holding period is over for the season, but there could be some good swells. Download the app Surfline. It’ll give you swell outlooks.
pill box hike at sunset elementary. Kaena point is a good place to whale watch in the mornings and evenings. Matsumoto is overrated but Haleiwa is a cool little town. Get an açaí bowl from Haleiwa Bowls, poke from Poke on da run. Uncle that runs it will make you feel like family.
rajanee Thai in Haleiwa. Kailua is a cool town but crowded as hell on the weekends. Careful on the west side. It’s beautiful but can be sketchy if not local. Don’t be lulled into the paradise feeling. The theft and drugs abuse is out of control. Don’t leave anything in your car or it’ll find a new owner.
Farmers market on thursdays in Waimea valley has good food and local music.
sandy beach on the south shore is pretty awesome shorebreak but dangerous as hell. Kualoa ranch has tours (Jurassic park was filmed there)
Zip lines on the east side (Kahuku)
Hit up Kens fish in Kahuku. You’ll thank me later. 🤤🤤🤤
Papailoa road on the NS has a beach access at the end of the road. It’s not real well known so there’s hardly anyone ever there. It’s beautiful and quiet for sunsets looking towards kaena point.
hit up pipeline/backdoor if there’s a good swell. There’s always world class surfers there. It’s a great show.
mountain biking and running/hiking trails up Pūpūkea.
If it were me I’d avoid Honolulu as much as possible. It’s expensive, crowded and not the island experience you’re going for.
malasadas at Leonard’s is a must.
lanikai beach is one of my faves on the east side.
breakfast burritos at the sunset farmers market on saturdays.
waialua bakery turtle balls are the bomb
North shore goodies 🤤🤤🤤
Konos for breakfast
Three tables and sharks cove is good swimming and snorkeling.

Pearl Harbour museum and the USS Bowfin. If your up to do a little driving or take a bus, the North Shore is awesome. Can get a surf lesson in one of the most popular surfing spots. There are also tons of food trucks up there that have amazing food. Polynesian Cultural Center is also awesome and worth the short drive.

OP
darcytribe
Thanks for all of the great suggestions, we’ll definitely be trying out many of these!

Waikiki is full of good places to eat, albeit most are a bit pricy. We were there 2 summers ago and tried several food trucks up on the north shore, including Geovanni's, and didn’t care for any of them.

Turtle Bay is really nice. The wife and kids did a horseback ride out of there they said was incredible, while I sucked down fresh squeezed margaritas at the bar.

Pearl Harbor is a must do as is a luau if you’ve never done one.

BadDogPSD

WKR
Ono's on Kapahulu for traditional Hawaiian food is some of the best I've found. My dad grew up in Kaimuki and we would go there as often as we could. Get there early as there is always a wait.

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Reading this post and all the replies makes me want to go back! Been there 4 times and still love it.
-If you like military history punch bowl national cemetery is a must. It was a moving visit full of historical perspective.
-Lanikai beach on the east side is incredible! You park near the houses in the street and find one of the few walkways out to the beach. Absolutely stunning! Quieter than Kailua Beach.
-The USS Missouri was incredible. To see the spot on the deck where Japan signed the surrender documents should not be missed.
-Haleiwa Joe's is a nice restaurant to get a great steak or fresh fish dinner if you're over near Kailua or Lanikai.
-Uncle Bo's Pupu bar and grill has great sushi and dynamite shrimp! It's on the east end of Waikiki near the golf course.
-Dukes on Waikiki Beach is fun. Somewhat touristy but a good meal and good drinks. Saw tons of turtles in the water off the beach fronting the restaurant while swimming there with the kids.
Enjoy and have fun! Hawaii is expensive in general but once you get past that Oahu has great beaches with incredible military history.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Catchfish

WKR
Stairway to heaven was one of the coolest days for us, we hiked up the stairway in the fog and rain, and 5 minutes after reaching the top it blew off and was blue bird, then hiked back down into closing fog. Wear clothing that matches the surroundings guards didn't bother us on the way out they definitely knew we have been up there.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is non-traditional shave ice but Matsumoto's is winnahs. Also, pretty good grindz is Island Vintage Wine Bar in Royal Hawaiian, pretty ono food. Hawaiian food get Young's, no mo Ono's Hawaiian, Helena's Hawaiian, Highway Inn. Just be a good hunter respect and you all good. Roy's is good Waikiki and Ko'olina are my favs. Def try rainbows drive inn and zippy's.

Go beach relax, enjoy. If you bring your bow and get your hunting license can go for pig and goats.

Oh and no bring the coronavirus

OP
darcytribe
Well had a great two weeks on Oahu! Hiked Diamondhead and pillboxes. Took surf lessons on the north shore. Then rented a board for a day. Watched some awesome surfers at Pipeline several days while beach lounging. Ate at Konos more than once (Chun Bombers are the bomb, as are their shakes!) motsumoto shave ice. Hawaii Bowls are amazing, had several! Hit the blowhole and surrounding beautiful shore scenery. Swam at Lanikai. Had a nice meal at Dukes but didn’t care for Waikiki much, too busy for our tastes. I was told the snorkeling was sub par but saw an amazing variety of fish and lots of sea turtles. Not much coral though. The laid-back, friendly vibe really struck us, in a good way. What a great place. Would love to come back again and explore some of the other islands. Definitely recommend getting here to visit if you can!

Attachments

• 3AA8540F-6AF0-4CFF-A2EE-FF949281A622.jpeg
    3AA8540F-6AF0-4CFF-A2EE-FF949281A622.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 030BFE7F-9703-498A-B72B-665FF390C249.jpeg
    030BFE7F-9703-498A-B72B-665FF390C249.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
darcytribe
Pearl Harbor was a special sacred place!

Attachments

• BD4C5DD3-3368-434F-BE9F-47EF41B9BC9A.jpeg
    BD4C5DD3-3368-434F-BE9F-47EF41B9BC9A.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 44496970-171C-4787-A6BD-BBCFFF9F4DCE.jpeg
    44496970-171C-4787-A6BD-BBCFFF9F4DCE.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 3
Try Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha. It's a shaved ice place on the way to Hanauma Bay. Or there is one in the Ala Moana Mall. Uncle Clay is a character and makes the stop worth the experience.