Actor Gary Cooper

Mosby

WKR
I came across a quote by the old actor Gary Cooper. He was born in Montana and used to go to Sun Valley, Idaho area and stay and hunt with Ernst Hemingway. An area that I have hunted myself. He died in 1961 in California.

He had it figured out.

For me the really satisfying things I do are offered me, free, for nothing. Ever go out in the fall and do a little hunting? See the frost on the grass and the leaves turning? Spend a day in the hills alone, or with good companions? Watch a sunset and a moonrise? Notice a bird in the wind? A stream in the woods, a storm at sea, cross the country by train, and catch a glimpse of something beautiful in the desert, or the farmlands? Free to everybody ...[337]
— Gary Cooper

Sounds like a guy wouldn’t mind hanging out with.The best things in life are free. Course it cost money to get to them.

Yarak

WKR
Sergeant York is one of my must watch movies but then I like all of Coopers movies
Most of the actors of that era were top notch with only a few exceptions

SWOHTR

WKR
So he advocates for poaching and being a vagabond? Sure, if that’s your thing I guess.

I think I know what he’s getting at but the messaging is off a bit.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
So he advocates for poaching and being a vagabond? Sure, if that’s your thing I guess.

Who is advocating for poaching and being a vagabond?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member

Before the Rokslide villagers try to disembowel you-perhaps you could expand or expound your thoughts. I don’t want to clean up a bloody mess.

SWOHTR

WKR
Who is advocating for poaching and being a vagabond?
“Hunting is free”
“Crossing the country by rail is free”

They're not actually free, there is cost associated with them. Reading the quote, at first glance and with little extra thought given, one could be led to think that hunting is free: simply go kill an animal and eat it. Crossing the country by rail is free: jump onto a train with a backpack and go. The first instance of free hunting is poaching, and the second instance of a free train ride is to be a vagabond.

Pretty sure he's simply trying to say value experiences over things, but, like I said, the messaging is off.

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
Before the Rokslide villagers try to disembowel you-perhaps you could expand or expound your thoughts. I don’t want to clean up a bloody mess.
I invite them to try, but don’t want you to have to clean anything up! I expanded above.

perfect timing,just finished 6 miles with 50# in the pack in 90 deg,spent a half hour watching a young doe pick along the riverbank ,feeding and cooling in the flowing water, how beautiful i thought....(course i also thought i'd have to aim 6 inches high with my load)
all free.
the vagabond life for me!

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
“Hunting is free”
“Crossing the country by rail is free”

They're not actually free, there is cost associated with them. Reading the quote, at first glance and with little extra thought given, one could be led to think that hunting is free: simply go kill an animal and eat it. Crossing the country by rail is free: jump onto a train with a backpack and go. The first instance of free hunting is poaching, and the second instance of a free train ride is to be a vagabond.

Pretty sure he's simply trying to say value experiences over things, but, like I said, the messaging is off.
Well...you are misunderstanding what he said, restructuring the sentences and creating your own meaning but I'll try anyway. He didn't say hunting or riding trains was free...he was talking about what he saw and what he experienced when he was hunting or riding the train. He was talking about observing and enjoying the beauty of nature or the enjoyment of spending a day with friends. The simple things in life are often the best....and are free. That's all he was saying. Some people get it. Some people don't.

jayhawk

WKR
Wow. And I thought the liberal media was bad with twisting stories. They should just leave it to this forum.

Gary Cooper was the man, and that quote is a good reminder that we have so many wonderful things on this earth to get out and enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

While few are likely to have seen any of his films, it could be that the way most in my generation know of Cooper is from how Tony idolizes him as the “strong, silent type” in the first episode of The Sopranos, revealing a bit about the character’s immaturity and insecurity.