WTS Adapter for Helical Fletching at Any Angle With Straight Bitzenberger Jig

7-Pointers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I recently got frustrated with the lack of any 3 degree left helical fletching jig, so I made this set of adapters for my Bitzenberger Straight jig that enables perfectly accurate fletching at any specific degree of right or left angle, from 3 degree helical to completely straight. The set pictured below is for Blazer vanes on shafts with a 0.3 inch diameter (I use Gold Tip Hunters), but adapters for any common fletch / arrow combination at any angle (even decimals such as 0.3 degree right offset) can be made pretty easily once designed. More details below, but bottom line, my son and I would be happy to make some of these for you if you're interested...

$5 per single adapter
$25 for a set of seven (Straight*, plus 1, 2, and 3 degree angles in both right and left directions)
You pay shipping, typically a couple bucks, but happy to expedite if you want.

IMG_1804.jpg IMG_1805.jpg IMG_1806.jpg IMG_1807.jpg

For those of you that care to tune your bows and your arrows as well as you can, you may have noticed that there is currently no device that allows you to fletch an exact 3 degree left helical. The bitz helical clamps only provide full surface contact between the fletch and the shaft at a specific angle that depends entirely on the diameter of the arrow, which is why they never claim or report any specific degree of helical can be achieved. Bohning only offers their 3 degree helical fletching jigs for Blazers in RIGHT helical (why I have no idea). Having "clocked" dozens of arrows from different bows, most of my bows spin the nock left (counter-clockwise), which I've read is primarily a function of the string twist direction, but who knows. Regardless, a left nock spin leaving the bow means arrows are going to perform best with a left helical or offset fletch, mainly because less of the arrow's energy is spent to getting the arrow to spin in the direction of the fletch, leaving more energy as speed.

Since I wanted to at least try shooting arrows with the reported "perfect" 3 degree helical for my Blazers, I first made the exact 3 degree left helical adapter for my Bitzenberger straight clamp. This adapter is made specific for the diameter of the arrow, so it provides perfectly flush contact along the whole length of the vane as the vane curves around the arrow from front to back. And because the vane is inserted into the adapter, all of the force required to "twist" the vane for a helical fletch is applied by the adapter, leaving no tendency for the vane to pull away from the shaft while the glue is setting up for those first 20 seconds or so.

Honestly, I was amazed at how well this worked. Super clean glue lines, perfectly angled vanes, full contact between shaft and full length of vane, and easily reproducible. Once I realized how great this works to apply 3 degree left helical fletching, I made versions for all my different vane angles so I never have to adjust my Bitz again. * I had to make a straight adapter as well, because you have to adjust the Bitzenberger stand to a specific setting in order to use these adapters, but once setup that way, you can swap out adapters to get any angle of helical or offset fletching you want without any further adjustments to the Bitzenberger stand. And if I ever want to use the Bitz the way it was intended, I can just a dial back to the marks I used to use to set the fletch, no permanent changes to the stand at all.

Anyway, figured this might be useful to some of you other guys and gals that are looking for specific fletch angles on a Bitz. Some of the PITA areas of note with this setup...1) The glue is very clean along the vane, and the job looks better than what most pro shops will do, but glue does accumulate at the front and back of the slot in the adapter. It's important not to use too much glue on the vane, less is more. In addition, I take a needle file or folded piece of sand paper and clean out the glue at the back of the slot every three vanes or so. I used to have to clean glue off of the Bitz clamp at the same interval, so no biggie here. 2) As with any helical fletch, added pressure on vane to shaft helps when gluing the vane on for the first 20 seconds or so. The Bohning Blazer Helix jig that gives a 3 degree right helical is designed to apply extra pressure, but the Bitz jig isn't, so I usually apply a bit of downward pressure on the clamp for those 20 seconds of letting the glue set.

That's it. The design work for is done for any degree of angle, on all shaft diameters from nano to standard (0.190"-0.300" outer diameter). This is a project my 11 year old son and I are doing together. He's going to track orders, prep shipping, and do the 3D printing, and I'm doing the the 3D designs for new shaft / vane combinations if there are any requests. Send me a PM if you want more info.

Last edited:
OP
7-Pointers

7-Pointers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Lot's of guys looking to get better fletching on skinny shafts so we've now got adapter sets that work for arrow shafts down to about 0.23" outer diameter (4mm shafts) and vanes up to 2.5" long, in case anyone is interested.

buggz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the LH jig for my Bitz.
Would these work with it?

I use .204 and .166 diameter shafts.
Oh, I do have others as well.

OP
7-Pointers

7-Pointers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
These adapters work only with the Bitz straight clamp.

They allow you to put more angle on the fletching than what the straight or helical clamps from Bitz allow, especially for 5mm or 4mm shafts. And once the Bitz has been set up to use the adapters, you can just swap adapters in and out to get any of the predefined angles without adjusting the Bitz stand at all. Current adapters included 3 degrees left, 2 degrees left 1 degree left, straight, 1 degree right, 2 degrees right, and 3 degrees right.

Note that when designed properly, a 3 degree fletch with a 2 inch Blazer vane on a typical 4 mm shaft will have each vane wrapping about 1/7th of the way around the shaft from front to back of the vane, that is very steep. The skinnier shaft actually causes a vane to curve around the shaft more quickly that a fatter shaft at the same degree of angle, so the 3 degree on 4mm I.D. shaft will create more drag than the 3 degree fletch shown to be the ideal angle on a standard carbon shaft. To achieve the equivalent amount of "correction" would be more like 2.5 degrees on a skinny shaft, and that's the angle that is provided by these adapters for the skinny arrow models.

Last edited:
OP
7-Pointers

7-Pointers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have the LH jig for my Bitz.
Would these work with it?

I use .204 and .166 diameter shafts.
Oh, I do have others as well.
And just for the others that find this thread...it's the outer diameter that is most important when figuring out which adapter model to use. It appears the numbers above are inner diameter numbers, and the outer diameter will vary based on spine even within the same arrow model.

OP
7-Pointers

7-Pointers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So you still need to us the clamp with these? If so how?
Yes, you still need to use the straight clamp with these. These adapters hold the vane at the specified angle, and the straight clamp grips the adapter instead of the vane directly. After that, it's basically like using the Bitz in the traditional way. The adapter's shape will force contact between the vane and shaft all along the contact area as the vane curves around the arrow.

Last edited:

buggz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine today,
2.0" vane - 6.5mm(std. shaft) 3.0deg. and 2.5deg
2.0" vane - 5mm(.204 ID shaft) 3.0deg. and 2.5deg
2.0" vane - 4mm (.166 ID shaft) 3.0deg. and 2.5deg

I successfully used the 2.0" vane - 6.5mm(std. shaft) 3.0deg. adapter today.
Easy, great instructions are supplied.
Wow, HUGE difference!
This a true helical now, something the bare Bitz LH clamp cannot perform.
I like very much!
Thanks!

I will jump right into the .166 ID shaft next...

Last edited:
OP
7-Pointers

7-Pointers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Got mine today,
2.0" vane - 6.5mm(std. shaft) 3.0deg. and 2.5deg
2.0" vane - 5mm(.204 ID shaft) 3.0deg. and 2.5deg
2.0" vane - 4mm (.166 ID shaft) 3.0deg. and 2.5deg

I successfully used the 2.0" vane - 6.5mm(std. shaft) 3.0deg. adapter today.
Easy, great instructions are supplied.
Wow, HUGE difference!
This a true helical now, something the bare Bitz LH clamp cannot perform.
I like very much!
Thanks!

I will jump right into the .166 ID shaft next...
Yeah, the "helical" clamps for bitz were designed for 4" feathers or longer, and no where close to 3 degrees. You barely get even a 1 degree offset when using the "helical" clamps with short vanes (e.g. 2" vanes), even less on skinny shafts. Glad it's working out for you so far!

buggz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah…
This is an excellent addition, a must have.
0.166 Victory VAP SS Elite shaft now has perfect 2.5 degree TRUE LH helical.
This works GREAT!

Thanks again.

Zkep

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything for a bit longer vane? In that 2.7 to 3 inch range?

OP
7-Pointers

7-Pointers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We do have a 3" version, but these can't get the full 3 degree angle because the slot wraps too far around over that distance, instead those max out at 2.5 degrees. Happy to print 'em up if you're interested in giving them a shot.

Last edited: