Added Fat

Opened up a package of chop meat. The F-in butcher threw so much fat in there, it was disgusting. Rancid nasty fat, that stunk like hell. Called him, he said he adds fat to all venison without asking his customers. WTF !!!! Had to throw it all away.

He said he'd make it up to me next season from someone else's deer. I'm like, no thanks. Not interested.

I know people add fat, no idea why. Pure venison is the best. If I want fat, I'd eat bacon.

Rant over....

Not to interrupt a good rant, but I grind and sometimes add fat to my venison. I sometimes use bacon for extra flavor. Other times I will get pork or beef fat for a butcher. The beef fat is a special order item and my guy has to get it from his wholesaler which takes a couple of days. the beef fat adds some moisture, texture and taste to the venison without changing the flavor a lot.

OP
Short Track
My beef with that :) You don't know where that fat came from, or if it's rancid, or contaminated. That's if you like eating fat. I personally think it's disgusting. If I wanted beef fat, I'd eat Burger King :)

Spence14

WKR
I've had some bad experiences with processors doing this, sometimes it turns out fine, sometimes its awful. The few times I've ground my own, I've chopped up a chuck roast or thrown in some pork belly if I wanted extra fat.

OP
Short Track
Look at how nasty this is. I left it out for the Coyotes.

Attachments

• Fat added 1.jpg
    Fat added 1.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Fat added 2.jpg
    Fat added 2.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 152

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Yikes, WTH is that? Even accounting for fat added (which I typically do to ground), that does not look good.

Sorry to see that happen to your deer.

OP
Short Track
That is handfuls of fat thrown into the hopper, not mixed in properly with meat. So the fat was chunked together. Wasn't even worth separating. Grease & fat just disgust me. I can get better at McDonalds.

OP
Short Track
and some one will get short changed next year if you take him up on it? that aint right.
What butcher doesn't have a home freezer full of meat? Even my Elk butcher in CO has freezers full of chop meat exchange. He doesn't grind during the season, only before. So he give you someone else's ground Elk.

I got tired of processor problems. Especially if I was hunting out of town and having to worry about them getting me processed before I headed back home Andvthem giving me someone else's meat That I didn't know how it was taken care of. I bought a good grinder and started doing it myself. At first I didnt have the equipment do anything but grind. I added more capability as the years ticked by. That grinder was the best money I ever spent on processing.
This year is the first year I did my grind with no additional fat. I had my reservations but its working out great. I enjoy the flavor of venison. I used my grinder to bag the ground meat this year as well. That worked out better than stuffing vacpack bags for sure. If I want to make venison sausage I will add some fat to my ground venison and do a small run. But I think I pretty much decided to make my sausage this year out of pork and use my ground venison for tacos , chili , burgers and meat sauces.
I hate that your meat got messed up.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I agree with you OP-I don’t ever add any fat to my venison for several reasons, most you mentioned. If a recipe calls for some fat-say chili or meatballs, we add fresh sausage at that time.
I’m sure you’ve heard it from a bunch of people, but I highly recommend getting set up to process your own deer. Here in PA, it’s very hard to find a processor that will guarantee you get YOUR deer back. I understand why to some extent, but all it takes is one time to get the meat from some hunter who gut shot a deer, couldn’t find it until the next day-and then add in the rising prices, it’s a no brainer.
15 years ago, $50 bucks for basic cuts and ground now is $90, then if you want some jerky or sausage-your easily past $150.

I was able to repurpose a small room in my barn into a walk in deer cooler. It wasn’t that pricey and is super efficient with the 1” rigid insulation and a cool bot to trick a window A/C unit. By far best hunting upgrade I’ve done, as now I can hunt early season and age them.

rayporter

WKR
before we got our grinder and meat gear we used a big butcher in southern ohio who done a lot of deer. a lot.
he always had a list to sell meat that hunters did not pick up. and we always got on the list to get some extra steaks on the cheap.

Lytro

WKR
I always think it's crazy when I hear of hunters who don't like venison and donate all their meat. I'd imagine stuff like this is the real reason behind that. That's looks terrible!

OP
Short Track
I think it's crazy people add fat to Venison, Elk, etc. If I wanted to eat fat, I'd eat bacon for breakfast, and Burger King for lunch !!
And no, my burgers do not fall apart without fat !!!

Buzby

WKR
That’s awful. This is why I just process my own. The finished product is so much better. I wouldn’t take anything to that guy again. He just admitted to stealing meat from someone else. You know he’s being taking yours. That’s probably why he’s adding fat in, to make up for what he’s skimming. You don’t even know if that’s your meat. Probably from the next guys deer that sat in the back of his truck for a few days in the sun.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a good grinder and started doing it myself.

The butcher that we've used for 20 some years retired last year. Jeff did an awesome job for us. I know we got our meat back and it was cut, ground, etc the way we wanted it.

Working on getting a good grinder and setting up an area to do my own now.

@Short Track - That was just plain wrong what your guy did to you and even more wrong that he would suggest giving you someone else's meat. We each have our preference for how we like our meat and you should have got yours the way you wanted it. I've never seen stuff like you got.

Smada962

FNG
I think it's crazy people add fat to Venison, Elk, etc. If I wanted to eat fat, I'd eat bacon for breakfast, and Burger King for lunch !!
And no, my burgers do not fall apart without fat !!!

Not crazy at all if done right and not overdone. We do all our deer ourselves and only add a little fat. It really helps enhance the flavor and I prefer it. Plus, eating fat is not bad for you. This isn't the 1990's where people were tricked into thinking that fat was bad for you. If you prefer it without though there's nothing wrong with that either, to each their own.