Added warmth options

huntdoc

FNG
I sleep cold and don't want to go unprepared again. Looking at picking up sleeping bag liner like a sea to summit reactor vs just packing more clothes to wear inside the bag. Liner keeps bag clean and is light, clothes are probably going to be going along anyhow, or maybe back at truck. Any feedback on the liners? Thanks.

No experience with a sleeping bag liner, but an insulated pad like an Xtherm is a good start to sleeping warmer. You could also look into down booties (goosefeetgear.com) and a down balaclava.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got IG Hot Socks, think they're made by RAB now. Insulated socks plus a stocking cap and neck gaiter are what I do. Patagonia down hoodie if I'm really pushing temp ratings. Usually wear wool long underwear in cold too. Helps keep the bag clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a bigger guy so don’t like liners. Over bags is an option to consider. A semi rectangular bag over a mummy can add a lot of warmth. I used my kifaru woobie draped over my 20* bag in colder weather too. I can really tell the difference. +1 for the knit cap and dry, warm socks.

Brendan

WKR
Just get a good synthetic bag or quilt and wear your clothes. I've crawled in boots, puffy, and everything. Dries you out too, unless it's just too warm....

fishslap

WKR
I have a liner and I also picked up a 40 or 50 degree hammock under quilt on sale from enlightened equipment. Weighs nothing and is a nice addition if it gets really cold.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
First and foremost... upgrade your sleeping pad. If you don't already have a sleeping pad (or combination of pads) that get you to an R value in the 6 range, then do that first. A Therm-a-Rest Closed Cell Foam pad will get you an additional R 2.2 of insulation for cheap ($20).

After that, you're only limited by how much weight you want to carry. Bag liners are great, and keep your equipment clean, but don't expect them to add more that 5* of comfort. If you're really cold, you can carry a light weight down throw blanket, or a woobie of some kind. I've got a SnugPak jungle blanket that I'll be bringing this year in case we have a really cold forecast.

Enlightened Equipment has a nice article about layering, and it includes a nice matrix of what you can expect when combine different temp rated bags. For example, they advise that a 20* quilt + a 50* quilt should comfortably get you to to 0* F.

https://support.enlightenedequipmen...0588-How-to-layer-quilts-for-sub-zero-camping

I've got a Reactor liner and bring it along at least in the truck for insurance. I dislike using it because it sort of clings to me whenever I move around and feels a bit constricting...though I also don't really like mummy bags period, so that is probably part of it.

I'm not sure how much it really helps, but I've had a couple nights where I would've taken any bit of warmth I could get, so I still bring the ol' liner along. I think they claim 10 or more degrees, but I'd wager that is a stretch.

Based on weight and bulk, I've been interested in a light down quilt. Seems like it would be warmer, more comfortable, and more versatile. Pricey though, sonthere's that tradeoff to consider as well.

Rich M

WKR
What about a colder rated bag?

The advice on a good pad or some kind of heat holding item for under you is good.

Did a trip and had a 30 degree bag with a fleece liner, stocking cap, & long johns - used a plain-jane foam pad - which was fine until the temp dropped. It was COLD - very long night. The next night wasn't as bad. Ran the camp stove on low all night one of those nights.

Now have a -20 or -30 bag. Also bought a 4-season tent and buddy heater for the next trip - just in case. Of course, if do a pack in trip, all will have is the bag and whatever layering is carried in.

Buddy on this year's trip is getting a reactor liner to go with his sleeping bag as opposed to getting a new bag - I see negative degree bags on Camofire for like $50 and he's gonna pay the same for the liner. 🤔 If the temperature drops, he'll likely benefit more from the warmer tent and heater.

I’ve gone the liner route and while it will add a little bit to your comfort rating (5-10 degree depending on which liner and how you sleep), they are a pain in the ass. Hard to get in and out of the bag without it clinging to you, bunching up, etc. Everyone has made good suggestions, i’d Look at lower comfort rating bags, an insulated pad with higher R value, or carry some down pants, at 7-8oz they add a lot of warmth and are nice for long glassing sessions. I’m assuming you are already bringing a puffy, the combo would add a lot to your warmth in a bag.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer thermals, down booties+balaclava, and a neck gaiter, over sleeping bag liners. They serve multiple functions, and you don't get tangled up in the middle of the night.