Adding a spotter this season, help me choose

7 Mag

FNG
Hi everyone, I'm adding a spotting scope to my gear this year and am looking for advice from folks with experience with the scopes I'm debating between. The scopes that are within my budget that I'm choosing between are,

1- Leupold SX-4 Pro Guide HD 15-45x65.
2- Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40x60.
3- Vortex Razor HD 22-48x65.

The issues I'm debating are, this is a budget purchase, I really hate, and almost will not purchase something not made in the USA but I understand that's tough in the optics category, I'd like an angled scope but am not opposed to straight, lightweight is important to me so nothing bigger than 65mm, and the reticle in the gold ring looks like an option that would be nice.

So, with all that said, which one these three scopes is the overall best for optical, clarity at high and low power, and best for evening/fading light conditions?

I don't have a way to look through any of these in person before I buy so I'm limited to ordering one and hoping it's what I want. Any advice or experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
If made in the USA is important to you, then you can scratch Vortex off your list.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t have any experience with the optics on your list, but I plan on purchasing a spotter next season. Buying made in USA is important to me, but it is just not possible with optics. The Gold Ring spotters probably have the highest domestic content of any spotter. I know way up in price range you can find some military stuff made in Canada (Newcon Optik).

I don’t know if the Leupold SX-4 is made in China or Japan. I’m pretty sure the Vortex is made in China now, I heard they shifted much of their “Razor” line to China recently.

Some of the Bushnell Elite stuff is made in Japan and quite popular with the US military, much like the Leupold Gold Ring stuff.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The Meopta S2 82 is a ridiculous spotter for the price. It’s as nice to most eyes as the swaro and Zeiss for way less money. I believe Cameraland had one for an awesome price last I saw on their sales flyer.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you considered the Athlon Ares UHD 15-45x65?

• UHD Glass: Extra-low dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
  • Interchangeable: Eyepiece Interchangeable Eyepiece allows you to swap the standard variable power eyepiece with a fixed 24 power eyepiece with a MIL ranging reticle in it.
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Aluminum Alloy Chassis: Aluminum alloy chassis offers you the strength of a metal chassis and the life time durability.
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes thus will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I chose the Gold Ring HD for mine. The main reason I picked it is for the weight. It's super packable and light compared the the spotters I was looking at. I have only used it at the range but the glass seems super nice and it is easy to adjust the focus.

I have zero affiliations with Locked and Loaded but I bought mine from them because the price was insanely good.

kaboku68

WKR
That Vortex Razor has Chinese parts but is assembled in the US until you buy GenI then its China. I would push you in another direction to look at the Zeiss Gavia 85 angled and then get the best price you can from Doug.

OP

7 Mag

FNG
Thanks for the info guys, I've almost decided to spend more than I was originally planning on, to get a better spotter. Now I'm debating between the Kowa 77mm and the Leupold Gold Ring 80mm with the reticle.

How do these two scopes compare, and is the impact reticle worth it?

tdhanses

WKR
There are better options in that price range, contact Doug at cameralandny, he’ll get you in the best option within your budget and not up sell you. The Kowa 66 should be top on your list.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
Might look at Maven. My huntin partner had some major clarity issues with his Leupold. I’ve had my 65mm angled Razor for years an still love it

JNDEER

WKR
7mag- I can say for certain the razor (first gen) beats the gold ring. I have never looked through the other Leupold.

TomJoad

WKR
What’s your intended use? I’d second kowa 66 if that’s an appropriate objective size.

OP

7 Mag

FNG
You guys with all your and help are awesome, thank you.

I'm thinking if could stay under $2,500 budget I'd be happier in the long run and have something I'd enjoy using more.

Intended uses are honestly, an all around scope. Hunting, something packable so probably not any 85s or 95s, glassing wildlife to view and enjoy, would like to be able to take some good pictures of wildlife with it when I get a better camera, using it for long range target shooting, and just looking at the mountains and wildlife in the evenings from the porch with a cold one.

pete

Lil-Rokslider
Hey 7 Mag,

I have a NIB Kowa TSN-773 w/ the 25-60x wide eyepiece that I would consider selling. I'll send you a pm.

TSimons9

FNG
I am in love with my Swaro STS 65 HD with the 25-50x wide angle. I paid 1700 for it used so you should be able to find an awesome scope in your budget.