Adding a spotter this season, help me choose

CP6

FNG
I have a Vortex Razor 65 for sale in the classifieds and using it to help pay for the Zeiss 95; just no contest. The 65 is good below 35x, above that it really falls off especially in low light. I use 15x binos and usually keep the spotter for long range glassing and digiscoping. Just easier for me to glass long sessions with the binos vs squinting through a spotter.

tdhanses

WKR
You guys with all your and help are awesome, thank you.

I'm thinking if could stay under $2,500 budget I'd be happier in the long run and have something I'd enjoy using more.

Intended uses are honestly, an all around scope. Hunting, something packable so probably not any 85s or 95s, glassing wildlife to view and enjoy, would like to be able to take some good pictures of wildlife with it when I get a better camera, using it for long range target shooting, and just looking at the mountains and wildlife in the evenings from the porch with a cold one.

Oh Kowa 77 or Meopta S2 over everything else If that’s your budget.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the info guys, I've almost decided to spend more than I was originally planning on, to get a better spotter. Now I'm debating between the Kowa 77mm and the Leupold Gold Ring 80mm with the reticle.

How do these two scopes compare, and is the impact reticle worth it?
They don't compare. The Kowa is a much better scope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
And then you get a Kowa 55 or Swaro 65.
Yep! We had a swaro 80, Kowa 77, older swaro non hd 65, Kowa 55, Kowa 662 (old), maven S2, Leupold gold ring 60, all set up for a couple of evenings watching hillsides from 1 to 4 miles until very last light, and I agree completely. Also, bouncing from scope to scope I would say that the wide angle eyepieces make a huge difference, especially if you like to put in quality time with a spotter instead of just using it to confirm something you found in the binos.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
This is just my opinion and I don't want to start anything, just May save some heartache. I first thought that a lightweight option like one of the 33mm vortex razors was the way to go. Then after using one I realized that for me, it didn't gather enough light through the small objective to be worth packing it around, I could see better through high quality binoculars and anything over 15x wasn't clear for me. So I went to the next option. Because of the bigger objective is better concept, I impulse bought a vortex viper 65mm spotter that looked clear in the bright daylight, but was garbage in low light and was useless over 20x for me. Again, better off with good binos and both eyes off a tripod. The benefit for the weight of lugging it around wasn't worth it to me. So I sold it and did a ton of research and concluded that for me, anything under 60mm objective was worthless for my purposes and just a brick to carry around. I took a good look at why i would carry a spotter in the first place and really the only reason was if i was taking pictures, counting small tines, or needed good zoom. All these things can only be done well with great glass and mechanics. Looking at what was good on the used market, I was looking at Vortex razor (old style, japan made) 65mm, leica, kowa (expensive models), and swarovski. I think for most guys, the 65mm old razor will do just fine, most guys really don't need a crazy good scope, save the money for the family. But for counting rings on sheep, or judging legal, for me, I felt my eyes needed the alpha scopes to be able to see well enough to justify the weight. the 85mm scopes are much better than 65mm, but the weight wasn't worth it to me since I'm always backpacking. Ended up with a swarovski ats 65mm with the wide angle 25-50 eyepiece and will never desire another scope until they come out with an utra lightweight design.....................Just something to think about, I only share that because I don't want people to spend the money and learn what i did......But everyone's eyes are different. ebay has been good to me with glass. Good luck in your search

tdhanses

WKR
This is just my opinion and I don't want to start anything, just May save some heartache. I first thought that a lightweight option like one of the 33mm vortex razors was the way to go. Then after using one I realized that for me, it didn't gather enough light through the small objective to be worth packing it around, I could see better through high quality binoculars and anything over 15x wasn't clear for me. So I went to the next option. Because of the bigger objective is better concept, I impulse bought a vortex viper 65mm spotter that looked clear in the bright daylight, but was garbage in low light and was useless over 20x for me. Again, better off with good binos and both eyes off a tripod. The benefit for the weight of lugging it around wasn't worth it to me. So I sold it and did a ton of research and concluded that for me, anything under 60mm objective was worthless for my purposes and just a brick to carry around. I took a good look at why i would carry a spotter in the first place and really the only reason was if i was taking pictures, counting small tines, or needed good zoom. All these things can only be done well with great glass and mechanics. Looking at what was good on the used market, I was looking at Vortex razor (old style, japan made) 65mm, leica, kowa (expensive models), and swarovski. I think for most guys, the 65mm old razor will do just fine, most guys really don't need a crazy good scope, save the money for the family. But for counting rings on sheep, or judging legal, for me, I felt my eyes needed the alpha scopes to be able to see well enough to justify the weight. the 85mm scopes are much better than 65mm, but the weight wasn't worth it to me since I'm always backpacking. Ended up with a swarovski ats 65mm with the wide angle 25-50 eyepiece and will never desire another scope until they come out with an utra lightweight design.....................Just something to think about, I only share that because I don't want people to spend the money and learn what i did......But everyone's eyes are different. ebay has been good to me with glass. Good luck in your search

After owning the first gen razor 65, I would take my Kowa 55 over one any day but you get what you pay for. But if I could only have one I’d keep my Kowa 77. Vortex razors aren’t that great overall and I thought the Vanguard Endeavor I had was better and cheaper, but at the op’s budget I’d not consider anything outside of Kowa, Leica, Swaro, Meopta and Zeiss, just not worth it when you can afford it.

OP

7 Mag

FNG
Thank you, to each and every one of you, I really do appreciate all of your info. Tough and expensive decision to make!

What tripod/head are you going to use? This plays a big role. People be buying nice glass and tossing it on a low quality tripod and head. Kind of defeats the purpose as any vibration will transfer in to the glass and make the image blurry.

TheGDog

WKR
I have the Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm. And honestly above 22x the quality of image starts dropping off quite a bit. I Do like it's fine-focus knob though.

Last Year I got some Vortex Vultures 15x56 HD. Much happier with this setup. Unless you've got specific scenarios where you know the distances will be greater than a mile. I'd say skip the spotter and go with 15's. The FOV is huge!

Now I only take the Razor Spotter for assessing hits at the range, or archery range when practicing longer shots.

Rail505

FNG
Also looking to buy first spotter. Great advice here. Will look further into these brands.