Added an Arca Swiss plate to factory tikka t3x lite stock

Pn8hall

WKR
Thought i would post how easy it was to add an arca plate to my factory tikka stock. I bought the mini plate from Salmon River Solutions. My rifle was bought new around 2017 and had an extra mounting spot for a swivel stud a little forward of the mag well. It had a screw filling the hole that is threaded for a metric m5x.8 screw. I used this as 1 mounting point and then only had to drill 1 hole for the second screw. I bought 1 M5x.8 x 25mm stainless pan head screw with a stainless washer for the existing insert that was there and used an M5x.8x20mm stainless screw, washer, m5 nylon lock nut and a 3/16 stainless fender was shaped to fit in between the channels of the stock. Probably took me 10 minutes to install it all. This could all be done with minimal tools and if anyone is having concerns about installing one of these hopefully this helps.

Attachments

• 5C055757-B92A-4ADB-8E0C-66733EEFE820.jpeg
    5C055757-B92A-4ADB-8E0C-66733EEFE820.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 902
  • 57553DBA-C50C-4BCF-98DF-D71DB37A3BCD.jpeg
    57553DBA-C50C-4BCF-98DF-D71DB37A3BCD.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 888
  • 4D0CD396-03D5-4E2F-8C41-15F87A25B386.jpeg
    4D0CD396-03D5-4E2F-8C41-15F87A25B386.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 863
  • 6E62B36D-5A7E-43F4-BE3C-3E31EE1E47A8.jpeg
    6E62B36D-5A7E-43F4-BE3C-3E31EE1E47A8.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 861

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I like that a lot. I’ll have to look at my tikkas and see if I can do something similar. Seems I always have my tripod with me. Would save me the hassle of carrying sticks or bipod.

PSplay

FNG
Really like Arca Swiss style quick connects. I don't understand why they aren't so popular in the hunting world as they are in the optics world. Makes sense to me to have tripods/monopods and have all gear attached the same way!

ill have to check my stuff,seems like i always have the tripod also,thanks
just looked at salmon river,they have some very nice solutions, thanks again

Last edited:
I did something similar to a Remington 700 years ago. I put it on the end of the stock and it never felt right.

Seeing this, I'm going to have to move it and see if that works better for me.

Good job 👍

apnea

FNG
Nice. Is the plate curved? Been thinking of this but don’t want a flat plate on curved forearm (idea of it bugs me even if it’s snug), however I haven’t yet looked for curved Arca plates. Could mill a flat but beyond my tools.

Agree with your choice of placement.

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never shot off a tripod before but this looks very appealing. Cool to see they have an Arca+pic plate and all their products are less $ than I was expecting. Bookmarking and may give it a go next season. Thank you!

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have an SRS Arca Mini on my T3. My T3 didn't have a sling stud close to the action and the stock wasn't quite thick enough for me to use the included T nuts.

I just used some 10-32 nuts and washers, along with blue locktite. Both nuts fit inside of the first triangle of plastic bracing in front of the recoil lug. With that attachment point the plate ends just in front of the bottom metal. The whole setup feels pretty sturdy.

ihuntsolo

FNG
Thought i would post how easy it was to add an arca plate to my factory tikka stock. I bought the mini plate from Salmon River Solutions. My rifle was bought new around 2017 and had an extra mounting spot for a swivel stud a little forward of the mag well. It had a screw filling the hole that is threaded for a metric m5x.8 screw. I used this as 1 mounting point and then only had to drill 1 hole for the second screw. I bought 1 M5x.8 x 25mm stainless pan head screw with a stainless washer for the existing insert that was there and used an M5x.8x20mm stainless screw, washer, m5 nylon lock nut and a 3/16 stainless fender was shaped to fit in between the channels of the stock. Probably took me 10 minutes to install it all. This could all be done with minimal tools and if anyone is having concerns about installing one of these hopefully this helps.
I just bought a new tikka T3x lite with the synthetic factory stock. Your instruction seems very helpful but I have never changed/drilled a hole on gun stock. So did you buy the following mini plate?

Which fastener option should I select (10-32, 1/4-20, m-lok)?

Did you drill the hold between the existing hole and the mag well?

Thanks!

OP
P

Pn8hall

WKR
Yes that is the exact plate I used and yes I drilled the hole between existing stud and mag well. I am not certain which fastener i ordered but it was either 1/4-20 or the 10-32. Either should work I would think but you wont use the fasteners since the Tikka stock uses metric threads.

ihuntsolo

FNG
Thanks Pn8hall, then I will just pick m-lok (doesn't matter anyway). I will find the screws, nuts etc from Ace or Homedepot per your specs above.

OP
P

Pn8hall

WKR
I am not familiar with m-lok so just make sure it has the ability to use regular fasteners. I know for sure I did not order that one. It really was a simple project to do. Good luck with it and post up some pics when you get it done.

sr80

WKR
looks good! im curious to what thr benefit is of mounting the plates near the mag well vs up front near the sling swivel stud?

OP
P

Pn8hall

WKR
Mounting near the magwell gives you a better balance point on the tripod and better accuracy. I am no expert on tripod shooting but everything I researched pointed to mounting as close to center balance point as possible. With it setup this way I can set the rifle on the tripod and it will stay exactly as I leave it when ballhead is locked down.

Darren D

FNG
I saw another thread with a 3D printed arcs plate. I have to say I really like what you did here. This seems like a great approach. Thanks for sharing.