Adding down to sleeping pad

Moserkr

WKR
Been looking at upgrading to a different sleep system for cold weather, which got me thinking.

Has anyone ever added down to a sleeping PAD?

My thought was make the poor man’s version of the exped downmat winter. I have an exped synmat hl mw, so what if I take their pump bag, add down to it, and shoot it into the pad like im filling it up?

Deeper thoughts… lol
Perfect? No. Doable? Probably. Ive been looking at switching to the xtherm cause my current pad weighs the same. But the downmat from exped uses 700 fill, I would want 850+ if I did it myself. Thinking 3 oz ought to bring up my r-value significantly, putting my sleeping pad at 18oz. Right now Im using a thermarest reflective foam pad (14oz) in the winter or late season to camp on with my 3 season pad and it works fine, especially with a hot tent. But if I switch over to a quilt, I know I need to up my game. Plus Im using a 20* (survival limit) kelty cosmic down right now for a bag and Im due an upgrade. I cant keep pushing the limit down to 0* in that bag. If my shelter failed 5 miles back in a white out snow storm, I could be in trouble. I want to get into true winter camping so this is part of a greater plan but hunting is always at the forefront of any plan.

Current sleep system for anyone who cares:
Kelty cosmic down 20* bag (survival limit) 42oz
Exped synmat hl mw 15oz R3.2
Borah gear bivy 6oz
Exped pillow 3oz
Thermarest solite reflective foam pad 14oz, R2.1
Big or small tipi with ti wood stove - confident in snow so far…

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think it would fail miserably. I doubt you would be able to get consistent down distribution throughout the pad, if you're able to get any into the pad at all. I would just buy a pad that's rated for what you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
@sneaky I agree it would not be distributed equally, but neither is exped’s downmat apparently. Watched a youtube video of a guy comparing the exped winter downmat to the xtherm, and in the heat pad test, the downmat had cold spots due to down shift. The xtherm held heat very evenly and broadly.

Adding down was just a thought. Also though about gluing on an emergency reflective blanket to the bottom of a pad, cut to size of course. Just curious on random stuff. Waste of time and money? Sure, but what if? Lol