adding storage to your pack

anyone have any tips/ideas on adding some external storage to your pack? I've got just about everything I need for a 5 day trip in my pack, but not really any extra space. I would just like a little extra room to bring a few more items, (a little more food, and a few other small things) Anybody have any advice?

WoodBow

WKR
What kind of pack are you running? Does it have a lid already? Does it have attachment points for external pockets? Could you attach a kifaru grab it? I like having some matrix of shock cord on the outside that can hold overflow or a layer i shed as i get warm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The kuiu accessory pockets work pretty well if you can hook two of the quick clips on the top and then get a compression strap over the back of it. Stone Glacier access back is similar but larger and needs to match up to the buckles. Could add a lid also. Spotting scope pockets are made to slip on a few compression straps usually too.

I fit my standard backpacking kit in a 3000 ci bag (with some room left over). Then the food rides in a dry bag which I strap to the top. I can get 7 days easy with this setup. I'm also willing to strap my puffy to the outside which saves some internal space if needed.

oddtiger

FNG
Lid, shoulder/belt pouch, mesh talon. Also you can attach bulky items like tent outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rino

FNG
first...what are the weather conditions and describe your big 3 (pack, sleeping bag, shelter) and weights of. The easiest (on the back) is making sure these are light and compact. It is expensive but you pay once...

NV HUNTER

WKR
i just added Kuiu hip pouches and ammo pouch to my pack. they are not very big, but the ammo pouch holds 10 rounds, and the hip pouches hold my SMALLS ( phone, range finder, headlamp, chapstick) .

chops24

WKR
This is one of my favorite features about my Exo 3500. I secure a lot of stuff in between the frame and the bag. Generally before i go out i put the main bag together as my normal daypack that i will be going out with the next day and put camp and food in two different dry bags between the bag and frame so i can either drop those at camp location after hiking in and go hunt/glass immediately, or drop camp, hang food and just crash, 90% ready to go in the morning.

OP
Parkercox77
What kind of pack are you running? Does it have a lid already? Does it have attachment points for external pockets? Could you attach a kifaru grab it? I like having some matrix of shock cord on the outside that can hold overflow or a layer i shed as i get warm.

im running the kuiu venture 2300, I ordered the kuiu accessory pouch, but i'll look into the kifaru add on as well!

OP
Parkercox77
The kuiu accessory pockets work pretty well if you can hook two of the quick clips on the top and then get a compression strap over the back of it. Stone Glacier access back is similar but larger and needs to match up to the buckles. Could add a lid also. Spotting scope pockets are made to slip on a few compression straps usually too.
I just ordered the Kuiu accessory pouch, gonna see how much more that gives me, might just try strapping some extras on the outside it that isnt enough.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't already, fill the bag what what can't be strapped to the outside.
I used to strap my pad, bag, tent and a long cylindrical dry bag to the bottom, sides and top.
Naturally fill bag first, then attach to outside. Then attach everything possible to the outside. Having things be long and skinny vs short and fat are key.
These compress to short and fat but the shape is what I'm getting at.
Link to pic https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/airpurge-dry-compression-sack-15l-242801
8d571c67a0f603983ad7193eb88c3beb.jpg

OP
Parkercox77
If you haven't already, fill the bag what what can't be strapped to the outside.
I used to strap my pad, bag, tent and a long cylindrical dry bag to the bottom, sides and top.
Naturally fill bag first, then attach to outside. Then attach everything possible to the outside. Having things be long and skinny vs short and fat are key.
These compress to short and fat but the shape is what I'm getting at.
Link to pic https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/airpurge-dry-compression-sack-15l-242801
8d571c67a0f603983ad7193eb88c3beb.jpg

I think I'll have to order one of those to strap to the outside, that should be able to hold my bag, tent, and sleeping pad! thanks for the input.

ChrisAU

WKR
I use a Blaze Orange Seek talon to add storage, cover CO orange requirements, and add an external compression panel if needed. It on my Kuiu 4000 is plenty of room to spare for 6 days with food and everything in the pack and talon. I could probably get by with a 3200-3500 CI pack using the talon.83AF70EA-8CB7-4F2F-8820-F862F9E24FB0.jpeg

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'll have to order one of those to strap to the outside, that should be able to hold my bag, tent, and sleeping pad! thanks for the input.
It's the same picture and I didn't see, or look very hard, for dimensions in the website.
The one I got is way too long- 15l is 18-24" depending on how much you roll it up. Still sealed is 24"