Adding warmth to a sleeping bag

jt4

WKR
I’ve tested my bag to a good bit below its limit without trying either of the two things below, and don’t know if there will be another chance this year to push it below where the temps got this past weekend. I know there are some tips and tricks to extending the rating of sleeping bags so I’d like to hear from those who have done it. Curious as to how much these things actually help.

For the heated Nalgene water in the bag, how long does this last? Is it an hour or two, or does it make it through the night?

Adding on puffy layers (top and bottom) how much farther do you think it lets you push your sleep system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Start with a good R value on your sleeping PAD and after that you can get a liner or add down boots or pants,most of the time when I get cold it was a bad sleeping pad choice.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Didn’t skimp on the pad by any means. It’s R6.9 and worked into single digits. I’m not disappointed in the bag or the pad by any means, just curious as to a guess on how much farther I’d be able to push it without the chance to do it myself.

The 15* bag with a beanie, light merino top, helio and de havilland pants, darn tough socks got me down to somewhere between 5 and 8*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Didn’t skimp on the pad by any means. It’s R6.9 and worked into single digits. I’m not disappointed in the bag or the pad by any means, just curious as to a guess on how much farther I’d be able to push it without the chance to do it myself.

The 15* bag with a beanie, light merino top, helio and de havilland pants, darn tough socks got me down to somewhere between 5 and 8*.

Sounds good,yeah a simple liner or a down blanket should be good
Wich pad do you have?

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

You throw on a good pair of puffy pants, jacket and beanie, like the Sitka Gear Blizzard beanie, and you can increase your cold tolerance considerably.

Alexjay

FNG
I’ve always had a 15 degree bag, when it’s going to be real cold at night generally it’s going to be colder days as well. A puffy jacket down at the bottom of my bag and around my feet helps me a lot. Add a beanie and this works well for me.

Westmjk

FNG
Liners work well. Throwing a larger hothands hand warmer down in the bottom of the bag will help if your bag is weak in the foot box.

Reactions: JMF
I’m assuming that you’re in SC based on your profile pic, so if not, forgive me. I believe the low up at Caesar’s Head this coming Sunday night is projected to be 12* if you’re looking for another cold night to test your gear. I was up at Jones Gap this past Friday night and was very glad I’d invested in a quality pad. I do wish I’d known the “stuffing-a-down-jacket-into-the -bottom-of-the-bag” trick though. Woulda helped my feet a bit.

mlgc20

WKR
I’ve tested my bag to a good bit below its limit without trying either of the two things below, and don’t know if there will be another chance this year to push it below where the temps got this past weekend. I know there are some tips and tricks to extending the rating of sleeping bags so I’d like to hear from those who have done it. Curious as to how much these things actually help.

For the heated Nalgene water in the bag, how long does this last? Is it an hour or two, or does it make it through the night?

Adding on puffy layers (top and bottom) how much farther do you think it lets you push your sleep system?

The Nalgene bottle with boiling water will last the night. I put mine in a big wool sock and then the whole thing in a big Ziploc bag. Throw it in the foot of your bag. The heat will radiate up the bag. It won't be "hot" in the morning. But, will still be warm. Works great.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Not in SC anymore, I’m actually up in New Hampshire so I do get a lot more nights to test out the system in cold weather.

Pad is an xtherm max. I like the idea of a liner but more so looking for using what I already have with me as opposed to taking something else along.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I think the hot Nalgene works for about two hours. I think some not so obvious things will help also. Eat a hot meal right before you get into your bag. Your metabolism and digestive process will help warm your core really well. Also, keep your head and feet covered up. A cold head typically turns into cold feet. Also, make sure your sleeping bag isn't too tight. There needs to be plenty of space inside for your body to warm up the air around you. Bag liners to me don't add much warmth IMO.

Hand warmers are fantastic, hot nalgene will have you stoked for the next cold night. Helps you be warm when you go to sleep and warms the sleeping bag for you.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Eat food that is high in fats before going to bed. Jumping jacks or push ups to warm up. Hard to say how much you can push it, because everyone sleeps differently i.e. hot or cold natured.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
have tender loins for dinner and sleep warm all night.

i have a down vest and a down coat that pack small. the coat was bought in 1973. they do help a lot if i have to wear them in the bag.

PlanoDano

FNG
you can run a thinlite foam pad or any other closed cell foam pad under you regular sleeping pad. R-values are additive. An ultralite bivy will usually add about 10 degrees to your sleep system. I usually use a quilt and have found a down hood invaluable. I have used a bag under a quilt..

I tried the nalgene once on a night where it got into single digits. I was wholly in prepared for those temps, so this maybe isn't the best example but I found it to be a nuisance in my bag with how much I move around and the warmth wasn't more than a few hours.

JRMiller

WKR
Late season i usually already have a puffy jacket with me.
If its cold enough i just wear it to bed. If not i dont.
I always bring a pair of thick, loose, socks for sleeping only, helps a lot as well.
You can also improve your Pads R rating if needed by laying down a mylar space blanket under it. They weigh almost nothing and you should always have one on you anyways.