Adding warmth to a sleeping bag

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use loose wool socks, jacket/vest zipped up and pulled over foot of bag, bivy, 2nd closed cell foam pad, wear puffy jacket, bag liner, hand warmers, beanie, scarf over head, merino wool sleep layer, and fatty foods before bed.

Good ideas. I may glue a mylar sheet to a blue camp pad...

Lawnboi

WKR
On cold hunts I carry a kifaru woobie. Use it around camp, glassing, and lay it over my sleeping bag if it’s that cold. Very versatile piece.

Iv tried a lot of the other things mentioned in this thread. This is about all that really boosts the rating

A warm nalgene by the feet is nice but can create a lot of condensation.

Marble

WKR
Snyder did a podcast with his methods on staying warm which are nearly the same as i have been doing for 30 years. The OP should take a listen.

Start warm or get warm with exercise prior to bed.
Have a good bag and pad. Know that all ratings are not the same.
Know your gear.
Eat fatty high calorie food prior to bed.
Be hydrated.
Cover your head.
Close the bag
Eliminate wind if not in a shelter
Don't keep your bag cinched up in its compression sack all year.
Keep a bottle to piss in.

Extra clothes can go under the pad or in the bag. That way your clothes are warm in the morning, or you have more insulation under your pad.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
On trips where weight isn't as important, I carry a 40 degree Climashield quilt that has saved my ass on more than one occasion, even with a zero degree bag. Drape that thing over the top of you and it's lights out! If weight is crucial, you'd be surprised how much heat one of those cheap mylar survival blankets will throw back at you.

High R value pads are serious game-changers of course.

In terms of sleep clothing, I've been most impressed with sleeping in grid fleece base layers and making sure my head/neck are covered. Sleeping in puffy clothing can be counter productive as you eat up dead air space and often end up sweating, which #1 can chill you to the bone, and #2 can seriously compromise your insulation layers during the hunt.

Basics like making sure you are bone dry before getting in a down bag, have a high calorie hot meal in your belly, and a ton of water in your system are often overlooked as well.

Nwaneal

FNG
I’ve always had a 15 degree bag, when it’s going to be real cold at night generally it’s going to be colder days as well. A puffy jacket down at the bottom of my bag and around my feet helps me a lot. Add a beanie and this works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:). Works for me too!

Car camping this year I used a medium weight fleece blanket inside my 32 degree bag. Slept in 12 degrees like a baby. Backcountry I'm looking at either replacing the bag with a zero and/or getting a liner. Being able to cinch the bag down at the neck is always helpful too.

*zap*

WKR
Use the hood and close yourself in except for a small area for your breath to exit. That is first before anything else for me and usually enough if I brought the right bag with me.

homers

WKR
proper pad, sleep in liner and baselayers, a bit of food and exercise before getting into the bag.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In the cold, nothing beats a fur ruff to keep the face warm which helps keep the body warm and the bag efficient.

In addition, I took some of the cold weather this year to do some testing . A Nalgene full of hot water will boost the inside temperature significantly (as much as 40 degrees) and will provide effective additional warmth for about 2 hours. You could likely partially insulate the Nalgene to slow the heat and lengthen the time. Conversely , hand warmers made a small long term change but it was very small.

Fresh pine boughs under the pad helps improve ground insulation. Just be wary of sharps. Obviously less effective on a high R-value pad.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
I've put it out there before, but your EN rated sleeping bag needs a mat/pad of R-Value 4.8 to truly hold to it's EN rating. Food for thought

BluMtn

WKR

This is what I use.

This is what I use.
I just ordered this. How do you like it? I got a little chilly in my 30° bag when it dipped into the low 30s so hoping this does the trick.

Steelruger22

Lil-Rokslider
I like to use either one or two USGI poncho liners (woobies) as bag inserts. They are super lightweight, pack nice, comfy(come on its the woobie) and have lots of other uses. Keeps my 20 degree bag good down below zero with no complaints.
There is also the USGI Field Jacket liner(smokers jacket) and matching pants that are made out of the same material. Makes a great sleep layer for the really cold nights and is a good packable layer for hunting as well.

KyleR1985

WKR
I use a lightweight bivvy and tyvek ground sheet in my floorless shelter. If I know it will be below freezing every night, I bring my 20* quilt, insulated pad, and have a beanie puffy jacket and pants along for the ride. I can easily get into single digits with this set up.

The problem is where I typically backpack hunt, the temperature can vary wildly across a week or two. For this I carry the McKinnis liner bag, a down blanket, insulated pad, pad liner, and my down clothes. I’ve slept in the teens comfortably using everything here - this also included my base layers. The key is the bivvy that helps prevent drafts, and adds a barrier underneath. I’m not sure I could go much colder than this - I had a couple windy nights in the teens and I had a little chill when I woke up.

based on these experiences, If I had to stake my safety and desire to go forward on it - a high quality 20* bag, puffy layers top and bottom, and a liner bag would go with me. If I can’t stay warm with those three layers, I need the hot tent, or I don’t want to be hunting.

thbrock07

FNG
I run cold. Once I started paying more attention the r-value on my pad, I started having a much better time. Not sure if anyone has tried it but I just got the Klymit sheet cover for my static v insulated pad. Haven't used yet. Not my favorite pad but trying to make it better and avoid buying a new thermarest neoair xtherm.