Adirondack DIY Backcountry

I'm looking for information on a potential DIY hunt in the adirondacks. Most likely a 4 or 5 day quick hunt. We are all in good shape and hunt the PA mountains but can't make it west this year so looking at other options for a quick camp/hunt trip out of state.

Basically a couple questions first, does the regular hunting license include a bear tag as well (from what I can tell it does)?

Are any of the wilderness type areas better than others as far as general deer density or just general south better than north?

Which available campgrounds are there to spike out from?

Overall just looking for generic/general information from some northern tier guys.

Feel free to PM info

Yes the bear tag is included, at least for a resident. I would assume for the nr it is the same. Be prepared, the deer density is very very low. Some guys hunt up there for a week and never see a deer much less a buck. Some guys only see spike horns and others shoot a nice 10 point the first time they go. Most people hunt from a hunting camp or club that leases some paper company land. However there is still a ton of public land and most of it is marked with little signs on the trees. I live just south of Albany and try to head up there at least once a year. It's a big area covering a large part of the upstate area. I personally only go up there only when it snows. I feel it increases my odds tremendously. If you can find areas near cropland you will have increased deer density. Which would most likely be the outer edges of the park. It's beautiful country that offers a very challenging hunt. A lot of the old timers up there are sitters and will sit in the same spot for weeks hoping to see a buck. Some like myself prefer to still hunt in the snow hoping to cut tracks. I have many friends who prefer to hunt the last week of the season finding that the bucks are still chasing.
Tony

I'd check out the NYS DEC website for campgrounds, they have them all over and usually cheap (20$ or so a night), or even look for some of the MANY MANY lean-tos located throughout the Adirondacks for a base camp. As far as areas try check out the larger harder to get into areas like Silver Lake and Moose Plains, those would likely have less hunting pressure. As far as the bear hunting you cant hunt over any type of bait in NYS so the chances of seeing a bear are slim, and getting a shot off at one in the brush are even slimmer. The deer density is very low ,but the mountainous terrain of the Adirondacks can be used to your advantage. Check the deep cut valleys or convergences of streams, and rivers where the deer are funneled down.

OP
T
I'm use to the public land deer densities of North central pa so that is not an issue. The bear license is just a bonus as well. I will probably stay away from the lean to's although from what I can find on bear habituation in the eastern part of high peaks wilderness it may up our chances for a bear. Thanks for the information

Last edited:

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
The rut can be very good. Find travel corridors and get loud on the rattle bag. I've seen some really good bucks come out of the Hoffman Notch area. Also, the deer really seem to gravitate towards recently logged areas. Hunting logging cuts in the rut with a hang on is money. I'm sure you can find recently logged areas by calling the NYDEC and asking them to put you in contact with the right folks. Have fun! Also, in my experience tracking in the snow is a little overrated unless it's super fresh and perfectly quiet. Also, in my experience the pressure drops off the closer to the high peaks you get but the densities do as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Hoffman notch brings back so good memories. I killed a slammer of a buck near loch muller.

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
Many of the state run campgrounds close in early October your best bet will be primitive sites that have lean-tos. I grew up up there feel free to pm me.

grfox92

WKR
I'm looking for information on a potential DIY hunt in the adirondacks. Most likely a 4 or 5 day quick hunt. We are all in good shape and hunt the PA mountains but can't make it west this year so looking at other options for a quick camp/hunt trip out of state.

Basically a couple questions first, does the regular hunting license include a bear tag as well (from what I can tell it does)?

Are any of the wilderness type areas better than others as far as general deer density or just general south better than north?

Which available campgrounds are there to spike out from?

Overall just looking for generic/general information from some northern tier guys.

Feel free to PM info
I did my first backpacking trip solo 2 weeks ago in order to scout an area I picked out on maps and establish a small camp. I found plenty of deer sign, moose sign and only 1 other camp in a 5 mile hike in.

I couldn't imagine trying to find permission on logged or private land. The vast wilderness that exists up there is larger then a lot of popular western areas, there is 6 million acres of public land.

I spoke to the forest ranger who patrols the area I was in. He said there are only about 6 guys who hunt that area and it's 190k acres of uninterrupted wilderness.

Pick out an area and get into the maps and just go for it.

Gary

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So did you end up going and if ya did, how did it Go? I live pretty close and have never hunted up there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk