Adirondack hunting ally

Macintosh

WKR
best fun you can have in VT is driving 2-tracks in the dark and calling in rutting moose! Sent you a PM, we have some shared stomping grounds.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot I want to say about this that is better done in person. Not intending to justify poaching, just want to point out that there are plenty of folks who are not at all "poachers", but who were taught their ethics and how to do things by their parents and grandparents in a way that maybe is closer to subsistence hunting than recreational hunting, and the transition isnt like flipping a light switch. Maybe some day we all get to share a beer in an adirondack pulloff next to a frosty swamp and discuss both sides of that coin.

Also, I hear shots at night all the time. I have neighbors that like to drive 4wd roads and shoot guns. It's better than TV, and they're a hoot to party with. Also have gotten my own deer back home well after dark many times myself--shoot that deer midday, drag a few miles and drive 30 or 45 minutes, and it's well after dark. I'm sure sometimes it is a poached deer, but I have a hard time saying most of them arent legit legal deer.
I would never shame anyone for killing to survive. Back woods of Maine was eye opening to me in almost every aspect. It will always be poaching by law definitions, but after spending time in some rural parts, I understand. These were no horn hunter, no social media, not even photos. Now there's 6 of them that apply for a moose tag, but they don't always get picked still, but they still gotta eat. Only label that aptly applies is hungry, and you do what's necessary to remedy that.
One "bad" thing about New England is there's too much fun to be had in September/October. I have to pick and choose. Go look for mushrooms? Ocean fishing? Archery hunting? Grouse/woodcock? The trout are hitting hard. Bass on Champlain are too. Bear? Ducks? If so, what kind? There's always Salmon/steelhead by the great lakes too. This year my focus in September is going to be baiting bear in NH. I've got photos of some at the site I cleared already and there's nothing out there.
Aint that the truth! Thankfully in NJ we start goose sept 1 and deer sept 9, can start day fishing freshwater again as it's no longer 95+. But come October stripers come back in, 'real' deer season starts, duck 1st split opens, and fall blade baiting for bass, trout and LL salmon, and they reinstated our week long bow season for bear. I could have the whole month off and still not have enough time.

NJ cant bait for bears this 4 year block of allowed hunts, but they are so thick ( densest black bear population anywhere in North America) you cant help but run into 1... or 5 or 6 in a day. Used to see the VT boys doing swamp drives every year, hope they come back and keep this up.

I guess to keep on topic, the whole reason I go to ADKs, VT, ME is because of open space. There's a lot of gems here in this over crowded state. I just want to stretch my legs with dreams of 200#ers on the next ridge, not the next cul-de-sac.

Mattys010

FNG
I’m interested in hunting the Adirondacks. I am from Long Island. Which season are you planning to hunt?

KnCaffre

FNG
I am interested in ADK hunting camp possibilities, but know nothing about how to approach the matter. All my hunting experience up until a couple years ago was growing up out West. Is this kind of hunting camp thing all word of mouth, or is there a short list of websites that might match hunters up with existing camps. Thinking about it now, that seems rather odd...though I suppose I have seen stranger things.

I am interested in ADK hunting camp possibilities, but know nothing about how to approach the matter. All my hunting experience up until a couple years ago was growing up out West. Is this kind of hunting camp thing all word of mouth, or is there a short list of websites that might match hunters up with existing camps. Thinking about it now, that seems rather odd...though I suppose I have seen stranger things.
Most postings for camps or to join camps are on facebook/craigslist. The timber company will post leases that are available if you have a group looking to go in together.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Hey bud - I am on the other side of the park from you (I am north of Syracuse) and plan to hunt it a few times this season. Extensive backcountry camping/climbing/skiing experience. (just got back from an elk hunt Sunday) Hunted most of my younger life and got back into it in the past several years. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

OP
R

RueDog

FNG
Hey bud - I am on the other side of the park from you (I am north of Syracuse) and plan to hunt it a few times this season. Extensive backcountry camping/climbing/skiing experience. (just got back from an elk hunt Sunday) Hunted most of my younger life and got back into it in the past several years. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat.