Adirondack hunting

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
It’s the only place I hunt, I have access to lucrative private farm land just below the park and I still prefer to hunt the big woods, it’s not for most but I enjoy the challenge.

Lowg08

WKR
This is on my list of public land to hit. Are their some decent sized mountain bucks. I’m talking 6-8 year old ghost.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I traveled and went on many hunts through out the country, got to see first hand a lot of the midwest, to say hunting the Dacks is a humbling experience would be an understatement, I live in upstate NY also. I hunt at least 5 days a week all day for the first half of season and then almost every day to the end assuming I have a tag, if I see one deer for every 3 days of hunting I’m pretty content, and that’s any deer… numbers are low, pressure can be bad within a mile from a road. I do pretty good and usually kill a good buck every year but it doesn’t come easy, I own a seasonal business and close down for the whole deer season every year. An average buck for the Dacks is probably a 2.5 year old sporting 90”-100” rack, a good buck will be 115”-125”, a great buck will be 125”-135”, anything 135” plus is almost unheard of and a major accomplishment, over 150” almost never happens, I enter several local contests and generally know what is being killed every year, do big giants exist…. sure… do they get killed.. not usually, hunting nocturnal bucks 5 miles from a road can test ones determination, over the years I’ve had many guys hunt with me, most quit, only a few are ever successful, I’ve found either people love hunting the big woods or plain hate it. If a person realizes that a week long hunt in the Adirondacks is probably more like going hiking with a rifle and the chance of killing something is less than 1%, well then you mite be ok… I do good and kill nice bucks almost every year, none of them come easy and the learning curve was steep, I also have lucrative amounts of time at my disposal. I love hunting in the Adirondacks, I have a camp and also do a few backpack hunts each year, I say none of this to discourage anybody to give it a try, I’m just super honest, chances are if you have watched a video or read a book about hunting in the Adirondacks I know the gents, the best hunters aren’t on youtube however…

I belong to a camp on the east side of the Adks, We have had the camp roughly 12 years and I think there has been 3 bucks shot. Two studs and a unicorn. There are deer in the area but they are far and few between. Moose are on the rise in our area and I think it may be pushing the deer out. The post above is spot on. Density is low, woods are thick. Great time to spend getting away from people and hunting hard.

Also an adirondack hunter here . Like the previous posters stated - there are some big deer out there to be had , but they are hard to kill . If you hunt it with the right expectations you’ll have a great time . Beautiful country with a lot of access across the whole park

Hunted the daks for 30 yrs before moveing west
The bucks in my avatar all came from the daks
(Pepperbox wilderness) like the others have said hard hunting very few deer but when you finally do prpbably gonba be a bruiser

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
Vermonter here. Haven’t crossed the lake to hunt yet, but would imagine NY, VT, and NH are pretty similar?
One would assume yes, I see a lot of VT plates all season, from what I hear NH seems to be getting better, the quality of bucks that is..

Lowg08

WKR
One would assume yes, I see a lot of VT plates all season, from what I hear NH seems to be getting better, the quality of bucks that is..
I’ve been researching east coast public land big mature deer hunting. West Virginia is 1st and NH is next. The license are very reasonable too

Years ago I traveled and went on many hunts through out the country, got to see first hand a lot of the midwest, to say hunting the Dacks is a humbling experience would be an understatement, I live in upstate NY also. I hunt at least 5 days a week all day for the first half of season and then almost every day to the end assuming I have a tag, if I see one deer for every 3 days of hunting I’m pretty content, and that’s any deer… numbers are low, pressure can be bad within a mile from a road. I do pretty good and usually kill a good buck every year but it doesn’t come easy, I own a seasonal business and close down for the whole deer season every year. An average buck for the Dacks is probably a 2.5 year old sporting 90”-100” rack, a good buck will be 115”-125”, a great buck will be 125”-135”, anything 135” plus is almost unheard of and a major accomplishment, over 150” almost never happens, I enter several local contests and generally know what is being killed every year, do big giants exist…. sure… do they get killed.. not usually, hunting nocturnal bucks 5 miles from a road can test ones determination, over the years I’ve had many guys hunt with me, most quit, only a few are ever successful, I’ve found either people love hunting the big woods or plain hate it. If a person realizes that a week long hunt in the Adirondacks is probably more like going hiking with a rifle and the chance of killing something is less than 1%, well then you mite be ok… I do good and kill nice bucks almost every year, none of them come easy and the learning curve was steep, I also have lucrative amounts of time at my disposal. I love hunting in the Adirondacks, I have a camp and also do a few backpack hunts each year, I say none of this to discourage anybody to give it a try, I’m just super honest, chances are if you have watched a video or read a book about hunting in the Adirondacks I know the gents, the best hunters aren’t on youtube however…
what part of UPSTATE are you from i spent 30 yrs hunting the pepperbox wilderness and fishing tupper lake and lake champlain

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
what part of UPSTATE are you from i spent 30 yrs hunting the pepperbox wilderness and fishing tupper lake and lake champlain
I live in Northern Oneida County, but hunt almost everything else further north of me, I have no doubt we know several people in common, I hunted MT for lions once over 20 years ago, near Alder.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Multiple well written books on hunting the Adirondacks...better show up with a well defined skill set and low expectations. Many better places to hunt in NY with more & larger bucks. There are mature bucks throughout but many serious hunters & deer drives are popular so plenty of pressure depending on where you go. Goggle "Adirondack Horn Hunters" This group of guys got it done for decades.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I live in Northern Oneida County, but hunt almost everything else further north of me, I have no doubt we know several people in common, I hunted MT for lions once over 20 years ago, near Alder.
your in western ny, oneida holds some pretty big bucks
stauben county holds some seriously BIG bucks
i do believe its the #1 county in ny for trophy class whitetails in ny