Adirondack Wilderness

Macintosh

WKR
Adirondacks are fantastic. It’s several thousand feet higher in elevation than areas just a little south, so topography, seasonal weather, etc is completely different. Consider that tree line in this area is about 4000 feet which is literally the exact same thing as 11000’ in Colorado. If you want a gimme hunt this ain’t it. If you want to go somewhere the critters are more affected by the seasons and the natural habitat than they are by hunter pressure or artificial concentrations from ag or food plots, then this is a very cool place. Pick the right area and you’ll probably not see another hunter. Tracking rules here, you’ll need to cover ground with your feet not glass, and if there’s snow on the ground hunter success improves significantly.

Adirondacks are fantastic. It’s several thousand feet higher in elevation than areas just a little south, so topography, seasonal weather, etc is completely different. Consider that tree line in this area is about 4000 feet which is literally the exact same thing as 11000’ in Colorado. If you want a gimme hunt this ain’t it. If you want to go somewhere the critters are more affected by the seasons and the natural habitat than they are by hunter pressure or artificial concentrations from ag or food plots, then this is a very cool place. Pick the right area and you’ll probably not see another hunter. Tracking rules here, you’ll need to cover ground with your feet not glass, and if there’s snow on the ground hunter success improves significantly.

Yea this is exactly what I’m looking for in the east

ChrisS

WKR
That’s pretty awesome a bear tag comes with........ so one more question since we’re on the topic of bear...... what’s the strategy like for bear in the Daks..... same as north PA just drives around high elevation berries and swamps or what
Pretty much stumble into one or really focus your hunt on them. There's no hounds, none-to-little baiting allowed (I think no more than an ounce), and heavy cover. I haven't seen one with a gun in my hand and a tag in my pocket. They seem to stick to their established trails frequently until the mast starts dropping and then it's a feeding frenzy. Two seasons ago, they were all over our area and our camp harvested one, passed on two more and wounded a 4th. They're always on my cameras though.

GA? As in Georgia? Honestly i had never even considered it, but now that you have mentioned it, it may be worth a look.

- - - Updated - - -

Also worth noting, since you got me looking, is the wilderness areas in North Carolina.....
Numbers here are very similar to the Daks. Lack of habitat on USFS land due to a multitude of reasons have lead to small deer numbers. Howvever, we are seeing a resurgence in numbers due to habitat work on private land and state owned land. If you would like to discuss more in depth, let me know!

Ga has largest wilderness east of Mississippi River and 850,000 acres of national forest. Archery in September you can shoot bears out of oak trees. License has 2 bears 2 bucks and 10 does unlimited hogs and yotes. No bait or dogs in public. Season runs sep-Jan. I grew up in the CNF, and worked in there for a few years and guided a lot of trout fishing in there for a few years. Happy to share info by pm. Ga public is like otc public out west. Very very crowded within 1/4 mile of road or trailhead. If someone wants to come try it out I’m available via pm to help out it together.

jhm2023

WKR
I've spent a lot of time in the Adirondacks when I was stationed at Fort Drum for 8 years. The deer numbers can be low, bear numbers high, and the fly fishing is top notch. I've killed several deer in there (nothing big) and took 2 black bears, one of which was 19 15/16. Scout it during the summer by hiking in with a fly rod.

adkhunter

FNG
FJ - Mackintosh & JHM2023 summed it up pretty well, if you cut a track, follow it. There is over 6 million acres in the 'dacks, ranging from lower rolling land to high peaks. Plenty of wilderness area. Peak of the rut is usually around 11/12 and if you are lucky there is snow on the ground.

I love western hunting but there is a special place in my heart for the Adirondacks, especially Indian Lake area. Only thing i miss about NY.

If it is a real bad winter the deer will migrate to the winter yards early and it will get tough. We have to run chains to get back in to camp in the snow, by the end of the season it may be snow machine only.

Check out ADKhunter.com when you have time, usually some good photos there and Dan is an outdoor writer.

FWIW It is "big" woods on the state land since most has not been cut in 70+ years in the wilderness areas, easy to get turned around in the hemlocks and tough to see land marks unless up on top. GPS usually has signal...we run compass and maps most of the time. Limited cell service.

Short, light, low power scoped guns work best, I usually carry a model seven in 308 with a 4x, lever's are still very popular as are Amish machine guns. Watch out for the witch's hobble, it will trip ya up!

PM me if you want more info.

3 years ago I did a pack in hunt in north Georgia. we camped with in a half mile of the Appalachian trail, not far from Blairsville.

we had bear tags and deer tags. I got a nice buck [ for the area] and there was a bear killed there. the guy gave us the hide after he checked it in.

it was a nice trip.
Good to hear! Congrats on the success. Reports like yours seem far and few between haha. I’m putting together my first N. GA deer hunt near where you just mentioned. Would you be down to share any more info? Not looking for exact locations but anything helps. Could ya pm me? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it

Ga has largest wilderness east of Mississippi River and 850,000 acres of national forest. Archery in September you can shoot bears out of oak trees. License has 2 bears 2 bucks and 10 does unlimited hogs and yotes. No bait or dogs in public. Season runs sep-Jan. I grew up in the CNF, and worked in there for a few years and guided a lot of trout fishing in there for a few years. Happy to share info by pm. Ga public is like otc public out west. Very very crowded within 1/4 mile of road or trailhead. If someone wants to come try it out I’m available via pm to help out it together.
Since i’m new to the forum i don’t think i’m allowed to start a PM, but if you’d PM me I’d love to chat about North GA deer hunting. I’m a Western Mule Deer hunter but working on my first Whitetail hunt in GA this November. Would appreciate any convo! Thanks a lot