Adjusting peep

PAhntr91

WKR
I need to lower my peep hight. I would like to do it myself.. don’t like dealing with pro shops nor paying someone for something I’m sure I could do.. found how to tie and untie. But my question is can I just untie the peep and slide it down? And retie it?

How is it tied in? Usually you can just push it down or up a little bit by hand. Post a pic.

sndmn11

WKR
If you are going to do so, the least amount of tension on the bow string will be at full draw, so have a friend slide it up and down with an arrow nocked and you at full draw. Less tension = less friction and less chance of damaging the bow string due to heat.

Yes, you can do that. It will be difficult to slide the peep with the string under tension, but I've done it before. Pressing the limbs just a bit makes it much easier.

Changing the peep's height will also change its rotation, and it may not be properly aligned with your eye at full draw after you make the height adjustment. After getting the height right, you can twist/untwist the string a half-twist at a time to get the peep alignment close to where it needs to be then move individual string strands from one side of the peep to the other to fine tune the alignment if necessary. Adjusting string twists and moving strands requires a bow press.

Last edited:

406unltd

WKR
Yes but you might end up needing to put more twist in the string to get peep rotation correct which requires a press.

Buy a press. Even a cheaper potable one. It’s nice to have.

Or just draw the bow back like somebody mentioned above and hope it doesn’t rotate much. I’ve done it with the bow at rest but I always felt like sharp edges were hard on the string

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
It’ needs to move about a half inch. I’ve been wanting to pick up a press just haven’t had the funds. Any portable ones you guys recommend?

It’ needs to move about a half inch. I’ve been wanting to pick up a press just haven’t had the funds. Any portable ones you guys recommend?

Going to depend on the type of bow. Different bows can require a different type of press.

Many local archery clubs have presses available to members. Generally the membership is pretty cheap. Might be something worth looking into.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Going to depend on the type of bow. Different bows can require a different type of press.

Many local archery clubs have presses available to members. Generally the membership is pretty cheap. Might be something worth looking into.
I have been looking into one. Although it’s about an hour from home. It does have equipment to use. Still not sure about it. I looked up the bow master looks like I should be able to use it for my helim. Might go ahead with that for now.

I have a Bowmaster and a Synunm.

The Bowmaster is a simple jackscrew and cable design. It's easy to operate but somewhat limited on range of travel (may not open wide enough to fully relax the limbs if you wanted to do a full teardown).

The Synunm is a bit more complex pulley and rope system, but it has a larger range of travel and could be used to fully disassemble a bow.

The potentially tricky part with portable presses is finding the right one for your particular bow. A standard Bowmaster works well on solid limb bows; split limbs require an adapter bracket. A Synunm could potentially work with split or solid limbs depending on the width/spacing of the limbs. Using a portable press (or any press really) on past-parallel limbs can get a little sketchy. There are some make/model specific adapters out there to prevent past-parallel bows from slipping out of the press.

Edit: I just noticed above that you specifically mentioned a Mathews Heli-m. A standard Bowmaster will work great on a Heli-m (no extra adapters/brackets needed). You'll probably need to remove the string stop to get it out of the way of the press cable, but other than that it works very well. I've pressed my Heli-m many times with a Bowmaster to change string/cables, tune yokes, and install/adjust peep sights.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
What @Mighty Mouse said. With my bow master guy I have a certain split bracket for my Reckoning, with my wife's Eva Shockey, I have to take the rubber end caps off the cake Ts and dimmable it in between the cam and U of the solid limb. I also have to double check the steel cable path to make sure I've taken off the bow stuff that is in the way. On hers, I have to put a leather buffer in between the steel cable and the flat part of her Hamskea that's on the string side to not run the finish.

For $50 or whatever it's fine for once a three month use.

One thing to keep in mind if you get a bow master, is the split limb brackets are not big enough for most of the newer larger cams. I have a bow master and had a synunm. The synunm fit most everything as the bracket is a little deeper.

I finally just broke down and bought an LCA press.

Rob5589

WKR
A Bowmaster may or may not work on your bow. If it does, it is perfectly capable of doing what you are looking to do. I can send you mine on loan if you want. A flat rate box is like 8.45, which it will easily fit into. I'll cover getting it to you, you pay getting it back when done. PM your address if that works for you.

One thing to keep in mind if you get a bow master, is the split limb brackets are not big enough for most of the newer larger cams. I have a bow master and had a synunm. The synunm fit most everything as the bracket is a little deeper.

I finally just broke down and bought an LCA press.

Yep, found that out when I bought a PSE with the Evolve cam. Even with the split limb adapters, there wasn't enough cable clearance.