Adult onset hunter in AK

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
FNG, been lurking here for a three years, finally registered.

I grew up in New England and my social circle was generally anti-hunting and anti-gun. I moved to Alaska in 2016 at age 36 and discovered upland bird hunting as an off-season thing to do in the mountains when not backcountry skiing. Fast forward a bit, and I hunted 64 days in 2020. Mostly upland for ptarmigan and grouse with my birddogs, but also waterfowl, two 3 day goat hunts, and a 4 day moose hunt. Successful on the moose hunt, which included an 11 mile hike in to a non-motorized zone where I was the only hunter for many miles. Got a horse-pack back out. I'm hooked on wilderness/mountain hunting. Whole new skillset to learn from my lifetime of backcountry/wilderness skiing.

PNWGATOR

WKR
You are in outdoor utopia! Embrace it. Lots and lots of great resources here for you and your AK adventures. Take advantage of your resident opportunities!

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
FNG, been lurking here for a three years, finally registered.

I grew up in New England and my social circle was generally anti-hunting and anti-gun. I moved to Alaska in 2016 at age 36 and discovered upland bird hunting as an off-season thing to do in the mountains when not backcountry skiing. Fast forward a bit, and I hunted 64 days in 2020. Mostly upland for ptarmigan and grouse with my birddogs, but also waterfowl, two 3 day goat hunts, and a 4 day moose hunt. Successful on the moose hunt, which included an 11 mile hike in to a non-motorized zone where I was the only hunter for many miles. Got a horse-pack back out. I'm hooked on wilderness/mountain hunting. Whole new skillset to learn from my lifetime of backcountry/wilderness skiing.

If you don’t mind me asking, where in New England? Lived up in Wasilla for awhile and now I’m back in NH. Might be making my way up back to AK in the next year or two though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
Great looking dogs man! I have 2 GSPs too, a black roan female and and liver ticked male. He’s a DK if you want to get specific.

Thanks for posting pics! Awesome looking pair you’ve got.