Advantages of a tarp?

Rocky

WKR
So what are the advantages of a tarp. I currently have the tarp tent scarp 1. There is plenty of room inside for me, extra, clothing, and my food. There are two doors and it has dual vestibules . I used one door to enter and exit the tent. The other vestibule I used to store my pack, bow, and spotting scope while I'm sleeping. The set up weighs a hair over three pounds including the a footprint. Looking at a kifaru tarp and a big angus bivy I'm will be at right about the same weight. This brings me back to my original question. What are the advantages? I need somemore info before spending the cash blindly. Thanks

Just a different feeling. Obviously with the kifaru tarp you have the option of a stove. If the tarp tent works for you, and you don't want a stove, roll with it! I have a paratipi, and I bought it simply for having the option of a stove.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Other is pitching options. With your current set up, you need a flat spot the size of your footprint plus to set it up generally. With a bivy and tarp, only your bivy needs to be in a flat spot, which you can just kick out. You can then pitch the tarp in several different configurations as needed.

There are just as many pros and cons to each. It generally is just what you feel the most comfortable with and how you like your sleep system. Your current set up is pretty good for weight, so a tarp and bivy won't save you much in this department.

One with the right setup its lighter. Two if you get pinned down with a steady rain you have alot more space under a tarp. You have room to sit up move around, have coffe, cook. Two years ago on a spring bear hunt in Hells Canyon we were pinned down for two days with a torrential down pour. It was so nice laying there in my bivy sack being able to look around and not being confined staring at tent walls. Just look at the square footage alone that a tarp offers. Now i know that there are some lightweight tents out there but you still cant beat the weight of a tarp and bivy. I use a ti-goat raven omni, and Integral designs sil-nylon tarp. The two together come in at a little over a pound and pack down to nothing.

After sleeping in elk beds, on ledges, in between rocks and kicking out flat spots on steep slopes, i'm a bivy and tarp guy! Very versatile.

Lawnboi

WKR
It is a totally different feel sleeping with a tarp. Lots of room to mill around, for a little weight.

However a tarp and bivy isnt my choice for everything, they have thier place. I dont care for the tarp thing when its really cold out.

Curtis C

WKR
I switched from a TT Double rainbow to the Kifaru Megatarp. I only shaved a few ounces of weight but I have doubled the usable space in my shelter.

Curtis