Advertising Sequence Is Killing It!

ElkNut1

WKR
Guys, for those of you still out there or heading out do not discount that Advertising Sequence! Once again it's the top bull getting Tactic! I've received dozens of success photos so far this year, over 90% are taken with this technique! Cow sounds do work but not nearly as well as that Tactic.

For those who are on Instagram, the photos are being shared daily, you can see the proof yourself with their story. They're on ElkNut Outdoors on IG for those interested. Good luck to all of you still elk hunting!

ElkNut

BBob

WKR
If only my buddy would listen to me and let me do it more often. 😞

He is half deaf and claims it (the sequence) is too noisy and he can’t hear if a bull is coming in. 🤷

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
LOL! So what are you doing to attract elk your way assuming you're hunting mountainous timber country? I understand if you're elk hunting more open country where glassing is a great asset.

ElkNut

Good to hear! I’ve had it work a couple years ago for me. Unfortunately I wasn’t paying attention when a bull came in lol

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
WildManDan, bedding areas are simply the best areas to use this tactic as well as most tactics! Most elk will bed by 8:30-9:30 in mountainous timber country. More open country it can be a bit later! I like bedding because I not only have a captive audience for hours but bulls can also be defensive (during breeding stages) as to their present domain & do not like sharing with other bull too close by!

mahour, absolutely! At times I need to be creative as bulls are now locating hot cows in a variety of elk groups. Once I'm in that 150 yard range I may start with Advertising for 10 minutes & if nothing is happening I'll add the Cow Whines (softly) & Raking. If at any time a bull responds to the cow sounds I'll invite him over with the regathering mew on mid volume & continue raking. Many bulls will come in silent so be totally focused! If a bull comes in like half the distance I now get defensive. Once he bugles at this closer range I will now give 3-4 pants & a low wheez type hiss. (bulls do this through their nose as a warning) This is sending a message he better not come any closer. Of course he will retaliate fairly quickly in most cases. Once I know hes in that 100 yard mark I now hit him with the Full Send Bugle/Bark -- This is a timing sound, distance & his attitude is everything.

As you can see I'm using a bit of Advertising, Cow Whines & Raking & Slow Play to complete the tactic, sometimes you just gotta get creative! Be persistent when you know a bull is there, don't give up! Luck to ya!

ElkNut

BBob

WKR
LOL! So what are you doing to attract elk your way assuming you're hunting mountainous timber country? I understand if you're elk hunting more open country where glassing is a great asset.

ElkNut
Mostly heavy timber but a lot of glass-able areas. Last year first calling sequence opening day I did a little short 2-3 min Ad Seq prequel. Gave it mby 10 minutes and then went full in. Within 30 seconds out of nowhere a silent big 6x charged in. Buddy was just not ready, chose a haphazard spot and had no shot. The bull eventually went wonky and turned tail. Opening day out of practice blunder :) With that he just doesn't like the raking and almost continuous commotion of the Ad Seq. I don't get it cause it works great but if he's the hunter he calls the shots. He does like a Cow Party with the breaks between the shorter sequences and that works great too.

Last edited:
@ElkNut1 , how late is too late to use the adv sequence? I have an elk hunt starting Oct 7. I haven't used that sequence in the past during that time frame, but the bulls have still been with their cows that week every year I've hunted it. I would think it may work...

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR

HighUintas -- If it's a rifle hunt you don't need elk that close. I'd use other sounds just to get a Location & then move in on them!​

Outside of that yes, the Advertising sequence can work in Aug, Sept, & Oct. -- Getting into an area that is a bulls destination & Displaying there sorta rubs them the wrong way. Lots of bulls once again have been taken this year with it! Good luck!

ElkNut

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
That's the beauty of many of the Tactics I share here & on the App, you don't need bugling bulls, you just need know where elk are or they might be! There's Tactics for rutting elk as well of course!

I've hunted this same elk & areas many here do & you can go days without any calling from the elk on their own, it;'s a common occurrence! But that doesn't bother me these Tactics suck those silent bulls right in a high percentage of the time! I love it!!! Gotta try it to make you a believer!

ElkNut

Jason277

WKR
That's the beauty of many of the Tactics I share here & on the App, you don't need bugling bulls, you just need know where elk are or they might be! There's Tactics for rutting elk as well of course!

I've hunted this same elk & areas many here do & you can go days without any calling from the elk on their own, it;'s a common occurrence! But that doesn't bother me these Tactics suck those silent bulls right in a high percentage of the time! I love it!!! Gotta try it to make you a believer!

ElkNut
I think the elk in Washington put in their two-week notice and headed to Idaho! Ha!