Advice: 18” barrel + suppressor on a Tikka T3x Lite 7mm

Hi everyone,

I have a Tikka T3x Lite with a factory stainless 24” barrel in a 7mm. I am planning to shorten the barrel and run a Silencer Co Omega (7” suppressor) on this gun.

I predominantly backpack hunt so I would like to go down as low as 18” on the barrel then plan to run the suppressor. Total length around 25”. On paper it makes sense, but I’m skeptical.

Has anyone ever done anything like this on this caliber or similar? What velocities are you getting out of the setup? Pics appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
landoncooley
I am currently running factory 162 gr Eld-x’s. They chrono’d at 2950

crich

WKR
FWIW i have an 18inch 7mm08 shooting 140 accubond trophy grade ammo. Chronograph average shows 2615. Not the greatest but it gets the job done and is 6.5lbs scoped so Im happy. 7 mag is obviously a few steps up so you can guesstimate accordingly.

Not shooting suppressed.... yet.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently building a 280-08 and debated on going short to be able to shoot suppressed comfortably. I have an 18” 6.5 grendel for medium game at closer sub 300 yard ranges, and decided to start with a 24” 7mm to retain some velocity. Honestly I think it’ll get hacked off shorter at some point as it’s just more convenient. The beauty of a 7mm-08 is minimal velocity loss from 26-16.5” and pretty efficient for powder. I’ve looked into all kinds of alternative 7mm cartridges to choose from and I just kept coming back to the 08. Comparing even a 7mm rem mag, it’s only a few hundred feet per second less at 24” but pretty close to same MV when cut way short.

I love the 7-08 and I think it’s gonna be more popular in the future as suppressors become the norm and short barreled convenience and rangefinders start to trump magnums and velocity/recoil.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have a Tikka T3x Lite with a factory stainless 24” barrel in a 7mm. I am planning to shorten the barrel and run a Silencer Co Omega (7” suppressor) on this gun.

I predominantly backpack hunt so I would like to go down as low as 18” on the barrel then plan to run the suppressor. Total length around 25”. On paper it makes sense, but I’m skeptical.

Has anyone ever done anything like this on this caliber or similar? What velocities are you getting out of the setup? Pics appreciated. Thanks!

I just built a lightweight 7 wsm on a LA to run suppressed, I went 22" and with a 4" suppressor I'm getting 3000 fps with 175 ABLRS using RL26.
It weighs 7lbs 3 oz with the suppressor and 9 scoped with an NX8.
I'm currently waiting on a 7" suppressor, the extra 3 inches will be worth it I'm sure.

If you're hunting beyond 5-600 yard's for elk sized game I'd stay above 20" personally.
I'll bet you'll be at 2800-2850 with your same load at that length.

16.25 on t3 308. Aac 300tm. 165 nosler accubond factory runs 2550 fps.
Check your overall lengths you don't end up in sbr territory. Have not tried this on a magnum yet.

I'm in the same boat- Currently own a Tikka T3x in 7mm RM and want to get a suppressor. Looking at the TB Ultra 7. I'm picturing the full 24" and 7" suppressor would feel very long for hunting.

I'm curious what velocities people are getting out of a 7mm RM with an 18-20" barrel. Is it worth chopping the barrel on my 7mm, or would I lose a ton of velocity? Perhaps a 300 WSM or 270 WSM would lose less velocity going from 24" to 18" or 20" than a 7mm RM would?

Or would I be better off just buying a 308, 7mm-08, etc as my short barrel gun?

I'm in the same boat- Currently own a Tikka T3x in 7mm RM and want to get a suppressor. Looking at the TB Ultra 7. I'm picturing the full 24" and 7" suppressor would feel very long for hunting.

I'm curious what velocities people are getting out of a 7mm RM with an 18-20" barrel. Is it worth chopping the barrel on my 7mm, or would I lose a ton of velocity? Perhaps a 300 WSM or 270 WSM would lose less velocity going from 24" to 18" or 20" than a 7mm RM would?

Or would I be better off just buying a 308, 7mm-08, etc as my short barrel gun?
Magnums need 5x8x24 threads to safely run a can on them.
TBAC won't thread the ultra 7 in anything smaller.
You'll need a muzzle diameter over .700, and you'll want a heavier barrel to ensure hanging weight on the end doesn't effect accuracy

Ucsdryder

WKR
You'll need a muzzle diameter over .700, and you'll want a heavier barrel to ensure hanging weight on the end doesn't effect accuracy
Tbac will do a face mount I believe they call it for the pencil barrels.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing

They make a 9/16 CB mount for smaller diameter barrels. Works great with an Ultra 7.

JoeDirt

WKR
Interesting
Call and ask them what they think about 9/16 threads with a suppressor
They did a face mount on a friends gun. Worked great not intended to be removed though, had to find a gunsmith to remove the break when he sold the rifle.

Tbuckus

WKR
Hi everyone,

I decided to rebarrel my T3 instead of using the original light barrel.
Went with a #3 and cut it down to 18” and added a CB brake for my suppressor.
My 7wsm shot factory 162gr ELDx’s at 2800 with the suppressor.
I handloaded 157gr Hammers and got the velocity and a great group at 2970. Above 3000 the group opened up.
I haven’t weighed it, but it is light in my book. Balance is good and was able to make an off hand shot at this year at close range. Although in hindsight, i dont think I needed to do it, I bought a CF stock since I was going a little thicker with the barrel.
double check the manufacturer minimum length for caliber. My suppressor allowed 18” as the minimum for the 7 mag.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I decided to rebarrel my T3 instead of using the original light barrel.
Went with a #3 and cut it down to 18” and added a CB brake for my suppressor.
My 7wsm shot factory 162gr ELDx’s at 2800 with the suppressor.
I handloaded 157gr Hammers and got the velocity and a great group at 2970. Above 3000 the group opened up.
I haven’t weighed it, but it is light in my book. Balance is good and was able to make an off hand shot at this year at close range. Although in hindsight, i dont think I needed to do it, I bought a CF stock since I was going a little thicker with the barrel.
double check the manufacturer minimum length for caliber. My suppressor allowed 18” as the minimum for the 7 mag.
Got a picture?

What makes you think I didn’t? Zak is a great guy and is willing to talk through things.
GAP took my 300 WSM and chopped the Bartlein #3 contour down to 20”, due to the fluting they went 9/16x28 and rockset the TBAC CB brake. Works great with my Ultra 7.
I spoke with a guy from TBAC about 2 years ago wanting to do the same thing with a magnum sporter contour.
They said under no circumstances would they recommend going 9/16 threads on a 30 cal.

Unless something changed I'd stick to that advice

Ucsdryder

WKR
I spoke with a guy from TBAC about 2 years ago wanting to do the same thing with a magnum sporter contour.
They said under no circumstances would they recommend going 9/16 threads on a 30 cal.

Unless something changed I'd stick to that advice
I was told similar last month. He said to go for the face mount with the pencil barrels.