Advice for a rookie

Hey guys, I am sure this is a fairly common question but I am looking on some advice at starting into the LRH thing. I have no real experience with relaoding or long range hunting per-se, and am looking for some guidance from some of you veterans. Once I get comfortable I would love to take a class or two, in fact i even think I noticed a guy from Townsend on here that puts them on... not too far away.

My dilemma is as follows....

1) I have a 7mm Mag Browning a-bolt that is all factory with a cheaper turret style nikon scope. This gun shoots close to MOA at 100 yards and have played with it a little out further at the range and think it has potential... maybe?

2) I would really like to get into loading my own rounds for whatever I get, it seems that to shoot the best, you are not likely going to be using factory loads.

3) The gun will mostly be used for Elk, Deer, Bear, Wolf... etc. In Central MT.

I feel that my options are as follows.

1) Bite the bullet, get a system that is set up and tuned and ready to shoot... I really want something in the 338 caliber vs my 7mm. It seems this would be the most expensive way, but also the quickest and easiest way to get to a point where I am learning to shoot instead of trying to part things together. I would also get the minimum amount of essential reloading equipment to produce the round that works best with this set up.

2) Build on the rifle I have already, slowly building a gun that I will be able to LRH with, but learning more about the gun components and build along the way. The advantage to this is that I already have the gun, it woul'd likely be cheaper (maybe?) I feel that I would know more about my gun this way, and it would be more custom... I would also get the essentials to reload the rounds needed for this gun, but it may take more trial and error as I will have to figure out the best load myself. Advantages: Cost, customization, education Disadvantages: I really would rather have a big caliber gun than a 7mm. I know NOTHING about building rifles.

3) Start from scratch, build my own (with the help of a good smith) from the ground up. This option seems to be the best of both worlds but my take a long time and get expensive.

in the long run i am leaning toward finding a system gun, and beginning to reload rounds for it... then if in the future I want to change something i can. But I do NOT know if this is the best way to go.

any advice would be great.

thanks

Joe

Broz

WKR
Joe, I would be the guy from Townsend probably. Since LRH has already been mentioned I will offer another site as well. I admin there. www.longrangeonly.com or I will be glad to answer any question right here.

I am not going to describe my school as I am not a sponsor here at this time. If you want to know more about it you will need to seek it elsewhere in respect for the paying sponsors of Rokslide.

My advice to you would be to get your feet wet with the set up you have. But there are limitations I feel you will run into when you get into reloading. Mag box length for high BC bullets, no muzzle brake, light barrel profile are some I feel are not the best.

If your goal is to go beyond 1000 and kill elk then a good 338 in what I would be using. But out to 1000, and even for elk, the 300 win is my go to rifle. Yesterday I purchased one of the new Remington Long Range 700's in 300 win. I got it for $699 at Cabela's but they can be had on line in the $650 range. I am going to accurize this rifle with a good brake, trigger work, bedding and maybe a little chamber work and see how she shoots. It is in the Bell & Carlson M-4- stock with aluminum bedding rail which is a decent long range stock. It has a barrel that looks like the original Sendero Barrel 26" and 1 in 10 twist. So there is potential there for a long range rifle at a very affordable price with a beginner in mind. I hope to get around 2950 fps with the 215 Bergers in this rifle. That should prove to be a great hunting round to 1000.

If I were you I would take a look at these. If so inclined, after selling the A-bolt 7 rem, the step up would not be real painful.

I live between Helena and Townsend on the Big Belts side of Canyon Ferry lake. If you are ever passing through I would be glad to have you stop by and we could send a few at my range. I could offer some pointers to get you started with some practice. Also let you send a few through a couple of my long range rigs to give you a hands on feel for what we do and use. No charge for the consultation of course.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
S
Thanks so much Jeff. Lots of good information. I have stayed up late doing as much research as i can and I think I came to a conclusion not unlike your advice. I have never been a "let someone else do the work" guy and really want to know all about my set up.

I really want to get to where I am comfortable loading my own rounds and by the time I ordered a custom job, and good scope, got the stuff to reload, kestrel, and videos or classes i would be into the set up about 12 grand plus, and i will still not know a damn thing about my rifle.

I figured that I would likely just start with my 7mm mag because I have it, it seems to shoot decent with factory accubonds, and i have been saving my brass for about 7 years now and have a ton of it.

If I were to buy a new rifle, I would likely look to someone like you for advice, because to be honest, as much as i like to research things, I also get ocd about it and would end up not sleeping, ever hahaha.

SO i guess it seems to me, that at least in my limited knowledge, I can start cheap and slowly build a rifle myself that would probably be as good as a 6000 dollar job from one of the custom shops, and wouldnt have to wait 6 months.

thanks so much.

Joe

Broz

WKR
Joe, you need to stop by. We are of the same mind set. But please realize the cost of a full custom does have merit. The question is do you need that for what your intended purpose of this rifle is? As a beginner I feel you can get a lot of miles from a do it yourself set up. I always have some in the works and would be glad to show you what we do.

Jeff

OP
S
Thanks again Jeff... very nice of you to be so helpful. I will definitely stop by. I am sure that the 6000 dollar jobs are well worth it, especially when you calculate the time and energy spent on the fine tuning.... worth way way more than simply the sum of its parts.

thanks

Joe

16Bore

WKR
The further you shoot, the more expensive it'll get. Pick a number and practice to it. You don't need a Hubble either. I only shoot to 500 (far from "LR") and a fixed 6x with M1 ele is a done deal. I ran a bone stock Tikka to 500 without a hitch at 1/2 minute.

Easy peasy....