Advice for bear hunting PLEASE

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
Maybe that’s the problem then. Do you have other baits set up that you can bounce between. Always better to have two or 3 set up depending on what the rules are there I guess
I’m on public land. I know that is an ideal thing to do. However, It’s really hard to maintain more than one bait for me being alone. You also need to take your stands in and out of public land.

Agross

WKR
Well that could be your problem as well. It’s public. Do you have any idea if there are other baits around or how many people are going through that area. There could be all kinds of people traffic around there now that season is open, that could be greatly affecting the bear traffic.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
Ya usually you leave your sent there when you start baiting before the hunt to get them used to it so they don't stay away when they smell you when you're actually there hunting.
The bear that came in walked in right next to my tree. The little guy was literally right under me. He smelled the air and kept waking to the bait.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
Well that could be your problem as well. It’s public. Do you have any idea if there are other baits around or how many people are going through that area. There could be all kinds of people traffic around there now that season is open, that could be greatly affecting the bear traffic.
There was one bear hunter in here the beginning of the season. He sat for a week and chose to shoot a tiny bear because he was sick of sitting. I Honestly don’t believe there is anyone else hunting this property. Most people in this area love the dog hunting for bears. I’m not a fan. I love being out in the peaceful woods.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
The little ones are typically a lot dumber
I would like a giant dumb one to come out. They all can’t be smart……:) I would actually be happy to just see one of any size to know they are still here and keep me motivated.

go_deep

WKR
I'd build a natural ground blind over a new bait, and bait them both. Then you wouldn't have to carry in a stand, but I just don't think the bears are right there where your existing bait is anymore.

Just 100% my personal opinion here, but if you have the smaller bears still coming in and you’re in your last two or three days of hunting, there’s absolutely no shame in taking one of those. It’s still a great accomplishment and they’ll make just as good of sausage.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
Just 100% my personal opinion here, but if you have the smaller bears still coming in and you’re in your last two or three days of hunting, there’s absolutely no shame in taking one of those. It’s still a great accomplishment and they’ll make just as good of sausage.
I totally see your point but I don’t know if I can get myself to do it.
I totally understand what you’re saying. I’m not sure if I could shoot a smaller one. I’m a pretty determined woman. 😃

Maverick1

WKR
I’m on public land. I know that is an ideal thing to do. However, It’s really hard to maintain more than one bait for me being alone. You also need to take your stands in and out of public land.
In some areas of WI you can leave your stands overnight.