Advice for bear hunting PLEASE

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
The fryer grease and artificial scent will solve that problem right away.
So you think if I put more smell out on my bait they will come back? Feed them and they will come…..No hits on that bait since the day of pic of the bear I shared.
For all of the bears I had coming in right away I thought this was going to be easy. I was totally wrong! 😩

Definitely. If you have a Cabelas/Bass Pro nearby, grab a jug of the Moultrie scent stuff (blueberry, bacon, etc)

Add that to a gallon of fryer grease and pour it around the bait site. It will put out a super strong scent and the bears will track the grease all over and other bears will trail it in. Plus, the rain won’t wash out the scent if its in the grease. It will actually reactivate it.

I get a 5 gallon bucket of grease from the local bbq place (already smells amazing) and add a few capfuls of Northwoods Gold Rush butterscotch scent to it. If there’s bears in the area, they come running, I swear.

Just a thought, but I wonder if there’s mast dropping now that your bait is competing with? I hear once the acorns drop there back east, that it’s hard to compete by baiting. Out here in Idaho, we don’t have that, so I’m just regurgitating wha I’ve heard.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
Just a thought, but I wonder if there’s mast dropping now that your bait is competing with? I hear once the acorns drop there back east, that it’s hard to compete by baiting. Out here in Idaho, we don’t have that, so I’m just regurgitating wha I’ve heard.
Just talked to the nearest sports store and I will be picking up some bear attractant. The lady said the bears should be sick of acorns and corn by now. Time to get serious! Game on bears!

TheGDog

WKR
Are you using deep fry oil?

Apparently the great thing about using the Fryer oil is that it gets on their feet and they track it away with them when they walk away from the site... then later other bears will smell and pickup that trail of oil prints and it will lead them back to your bait sight.

Also in your home start doing things like save all your grease run-off from cooking. The better the caliber of Fats the more attraction there will be. His instincts are telling him he needs to pack on the pounds!

Pour grease run-of from cooking into plastic containers and keep em in the freezer til you're ready to take em out there. Starting off with frozen blocks of grease would be easier to handle it than dealing with melted room-temperature liquid grease.

Your luck must have rubbed off on me, because my barrel dried up as well lol.

I’m partly to blame. I think the bear was coming in the other night when I was in the tree, although it could have been another animal, I could only hear it. Anyway, it got way past shooting light and I was freezing my ass off in that tree and had to get down. Whatever it was, it was close enough to hear me gathering all my crap when I got down.

Either way, I haven’t seen a bear on my bait since the 5th.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
Your luck must have rubbed off on me, because my barrel dried up as well lol.

I’m partly to blame. I think the bear was coming in the other night when I was in the tree, although it could have been another animal, I could only hear it. Anyway, it got way past shooting light and I was freezing my ass off in that tree and had to get down. Whatever it was, it was close enough to hear me gathering all my crap when I got down.

Either way, I haven’t seen a bear on my bait since the 5th.
Haha we still have time….Don’t give up just keep on moving forward. I was thinking maybe if I just sit in my Stand eating a bag of good smelly crunchy chips they would come in to be nosey. They are nosey animals.

go_deep

WKR
Later in the season like this a good amount of bears get killed just passing by a bait scent checking it seeing who's been there. Don't get upset if your not getting pictures on the bait, watch all around for one just cruising through a little ways off the bait.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
Later in the season like this a good amount of bears get killed just passing by a bait scent checking it seeing who's been there. Don't get upset if your not getting pictures on the bait, watch all around for one just cruising through a little ways off the bait.
The raccoons have ate every bit of bait on a daily basis. You shoukd
Thank you!

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Try a honey burn. Or save some bacon grease, cut a pop can in half and heat it up in the pop can at the bait site.
Im an outfitter in Alberta for bear, one thing that has greatly increased our success is cutting shooting lanes 50-100yds into the bush around the bait, that is visible from the tree stand.
Most of our big bears are shot circling the bait 20 minutes before dark. Or circling the bait when a hot sow is in the bait.
Big bears are smart, no doubt about it.
I dont think pulling the baits during dark hours holds much value, but thats my personal opinion.
Bears will only show up to an empty barrel so many times before they give up on it.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Another good trick is to pour fryer grease on the ground around the barrel.
Than everytime a bear hits your barrel and steps in the grease they track that scent all over the country side.
If you can get your hands on some beavers that is the absolute best bait. For whatever reason bears love beavers.
Another good light weight option for hauling in is popcorn, than mix some strawberry jello mix and pour it on the popcorn. Goodluck I hope you kill a big boy!!

Last edited:
super nice looking bear, my buddy and i will be hunting black bear in Kentucky this year for the first time. i have definitely learned about some things to think about in this post. good luck on your hunt!

go_deep

WKR
Need to get a bigger rock to put on to your bait stump to keep the reasons out

Have you considered calling? If all else fails, an early morning sequence might be worth a try.

A big boar might be attracted to this sound:

if the big bear is coming down the same trail, I would move my stand further that way and try and catch him before dark.