Advice for bear hunting PLEASE

Tndude

FNG
Good luck Tracy. Definitely take the bait out at night or lock it so bears can’t get it. Might try a honey burn if you get to last few days. It’s exactly what it sounds like. Cook honey in a pot at your stand until it cooks away almost burning. Gives a scent bears love.

go_deep

WKR
I haven’t tried that yet. I may have to get some tomorrow. Thanks!
On your old and new bait I'd dump a couple gallons all over in an effort to smell the place up.
If your on Facebook try the local garage sale pages, or hunting groups I'd ask around right now if anyone has some you can have or buy.

hodgeman

WKR
If you know a trapper, a beaver carcass is irresistible to bears. Alternatively, you can buy trapping lure that's made of rendered beaver castor. Stick a couple teaspoons into an old sock and fling it high into a tree so the wind gets at it. That seems to always get a bear's attention and carries forever.

I did that one year up here and drug in every grizzly for miles.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
If you know a trapper, a beaver carcass is irresistible to bears. Alternatively, you can buy trapping lure that's made of rendered beaver castor. Stick a couple teaspoons into an old sock and fling it high into a tree so the wind gets at it. That seems to always get a bear's attention and carries forever.

I did that one year up here and drug in every grizzly for miles.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
It’s illegal in Wisconsin for a beaver carcass. The other idea is interesting. Thank you!
I’m pretty sure I would rather have a black bear come in and not a grizzly. You are braver than I would be on hunting grizzlies. 😬😳😃

hodgeman

WKR
It’s illegal in Wisconsin for a beaver carcass. The other idea is interesting. Thank you!
I’m pretty sure I would rather have a black bear come in and not a grizzly. You are braver than I would be on hunting grizzlies. 😬😳😃
I't not sure of all the WI legalities... but up here I've used beaver castor which is sold at trapping supply stores as a call lure.

I've also used anise oil (black licorice) and it really gets their attention as well for a long way. With a little over a week, time to pull out all the stops as the bears go into hyperphagia and feed continuously.

crich

WKR
On your old and new bait I'd dump a couple gallons all over in an effort to smell the place up.
If your on Facebook try the local garage sale pages, or hunting groups I'd ask around right now if anyone has some you can have or buy.
Would this cause any issues with having to have any bait cleaned up at the end of the season? I feel like grease would soak into the soil and be there for a good bit. Im just curious what fish and game dept would say.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Liquid smoke on a pillow case to get some scent distributed at your baits. Toss it up on a tree branch with it tied off so you can retrieve it.
Green death lure has also worked for me in the past.
Could also try adding a new food at your bait site, something that may get them excited.
Good luck!

go_deep

WKR
Would this cause any issues with having to have any bait cleaned up at the end of the season? I feel like grease would soak into the soil and be there for a good bit. Im just curious what fish and game dept would say.
In Wisconsin its legal, spent the first 30 years of my life there and my brother owns a bear outfitting services there, it's a common practice.

OP
Womanhuntingaddict
In Wisconsin its legal, spent the first 30 years of my life there and my brother owns a bear outfitting services there, it's a common practice.
Hey go_deep,
Your brother has a bear outfitting service. Do you know if they are having the same with not seeing any bears? I haven’t had a bear on camera for 2 days….more panic….
I’m from northwestern WI. Thank you!

That just happened to me this past weekend. I re-baited and the bears disappeared for two days. They bounced right back though, and they’re there every day (well, night mostly) again. If there’s bait, they’ll be back.

Last edited:
OP
Womanhuntingaddict
That jut happened to me this past weekend. I re-baited and the bears disappeared for two days. They voiced right back though, and they’re there every day (well, night mostly) again. If there’s bait, they’ll be back.
The one bait where the big bear is has had bait the whole time. What do you bait with?
I have some cookies in my bait and the raccoons love it. I had to screwed a board under my lid with a couple of blocks on top to keep them chunky’s away. They are unbelievably huge. I’m going to get some grease today.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Try some stronger bait. Something that might smell alot to help cover your scent. Bacon grease, fish, you can buy fishoil at a trapping store. Good luck he is a big bear. Id stay after him.

go_deep

WKR
Hey go_deep,
Your brother has a bear outfitting service. Do you know if they are having the same with not seeing any bears? I haven’t had a bear on camera for 2 days….more panic….
I’m from northwestern WI. Thank you!

He had a slow start, but they picked up after the first week.

If you can find something with nuts in it, they like that. Your competing against acorns and corn, they to have something with protein in it, that's what their body is demanding going into hibernation.

With the grease, don't dump it on your bait, dump it on the ground around your bait and on the trails coming to your bait. They'll walk through it and drag the scent out farther into the woods, your essentially creating a scent trail.

Bryan B

FNG
The bear hunting in WI will get tougher as the season goes on.

Keep the baits scented up with scented oil or a gel type scent (i.e. Bear Scents).

Since your limited to 10 gallons, and you can't take the bait out, if you can bait every day, maybe put out only a few gallons at a time. This might help reduce the night time hits.

If you're limited to certain days you can hunt, definitely hunt the warmer days as the cooler/colder weather tends to shut them down.

Good luck!