Advice for buying OTC?

Looking to do my first OTC elk hunt this coming fall, I haven't decided exactly where yet but would it make more sense to buy online or through a vendor in the specific state? Anyone have experience with both or advice on the advantages or disadvantages of one or the other? Thank you for the help!

Sharpspur

FNG
Wait and buy your OTC tag, Colorado, in the last town before the trail head. You never know what can go wrong on your travels across country.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Definitely wait.

Especially if you are interested in hunting Colorado.
Watch the leftover list - you may be able to score a nice tag

ElkNut1

WKR
If you choose an OTC Idaho Zone you will most likely need to buy it as quick as possible as many will sell out very early! All depends on your chosen Zone as many are capped! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul

If you wait, make sure you have all the documents needed. It would suck if you drove hours and couldn’t hunt...

njdoxie

WKR
If you wait, make sure you have all the documents needed. It would suck if you drove hours and couldn’t hunt...

I’m not a wait until the last moment person, and what if that very last stop is having internet or printer issues or you can’t find a document you need, or you get there and they’re closed, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

md126

WKR
No way I could wait until the last place before the trailhead. I’d much rather have it in my hand than worry about it

Elkhntr08

WKR
Colorado, wait, half the state may be on fire by September. Idaho, buy, all the hunters from Colorado will be headed there.

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm learning about this process as well. A few of you have mentioned to watch the leftover list, how does one do that? Is there a link for the list? Thanks.

swampokie

WKR
The leftover watch is a nightmare for the technologically challenged like me. Seems like the good tags go within seconds of being loaded.

cnelk

WKR
Someone created an 'Leftover Watch' APP last year that notified you when good tags came up for sale.

Not sure what the cost is

ChrisAU

WKR
If you arrive during the season (we arrived first day of 2nd rifle this past year) you MUST buy the tag at a CPW office. Almost bit us in the ass, thankfully they were open that Saturday until 4 PM just for that. We rolled into town about 3 PM and then I sprinted from a sporting goods store to the CPW office lol.

jmez

WKR
You will need a your hunter safety card to purchase a tag OTC from a vendor in CO. Like said above, make sure you know all of the documents you need. We had a guy didn't bring a hunters safety card one year. Turned out to be about a 2 hour process.

cnelk

WKR
Not only will you need a Hunter Safety card in Colorado, it must be VERIFIED prior to license purchase