Advice for daypack/frame for packing out Mule deer. MR pop 38 vs Sawtooth .

I am so fortunate and drew a tag for a coveted mule deer area. I've been training like crazy but I'll need to buy something to haul it out on. I am a bigger guy in height and weight. I like the idea of the MR popup 38 as I could use it as my new daypack. But the ability to carry 100lb concerns me. So I was looking at something like the MR sawtooth or pintler. I'd like something I could use as a daypack without being so bulky I couldn't stalk/crawl. All input is appreciated! Thank you for your time

No experience with any MR packs, but I own a Kifaru Duplex frame with Highcamp 7000 bag and an Exo 5500 and can tell you from experience that these bags can be compressed down to the point that they are almost "not there". When needed for hauling, I can expand those bags out to haul meat, head, hide, camp gear or whatever, but I assure you that my ability to carry will be surpassed before the capabilities of the frame/bag is exceeded. I'm going to assume that the MR bags have the same compressibility.

I have posted on this before, but bottom line is after trying 4-5 options I use a pop up 38 as my deer hunting daypack.

I have packed out gear and quartered whitetails (80#) in relative comfort. I choose it over my sawtooth / pintler for dayhunts because it rides so small in day pack mode. If I was looking for something that was going to haul more often, or if I only had one I would go sawtooth. However, if you want a stout daypack that can handle a heavy load on occasion, the pop up is awesome.

I agree with Desk Jockey.

I have a Pop Up 28 and a Sawtooth. Both packs will do what you're looking for. The Pop Up is a fantastic day pack, especially in the thick NE woods, that can haul 60# or so when it is called upon. But the Guide Light MT frame on the Sawtooth will be a lot more comfortable hauling more weight, and is still a pretty good day pack in open country.

OP
T
My concern is that my hunting partner can't haul much weight but he can hike. So if we have gear and kill a bigger animal boned and quartered is going to weigh more than 60#. I don't want to buy something for one hunt because besides this hunt I will be day hunting and dragging them out. I do alot of doe management so I am blessed with easy retrievals for meat. I'm leaning towards the sawtooth. I am a big guy linebacker type, but I love crawling in on antelope and deer. And just stalks in general. So I do want something that isn't so huge I have to leave it constantly. Do the sawtooth or pintlers compress well enough to do that?

Kentucky

WKR
The new pintler is and awesome pack.. I had one , but now I’m kifaru 14r for all day/overnight and SO brooks for multiple days where I might have to pack an animal..

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I have a MR Pop-up 28 (gen 1) and a MR Marshall Guide Lite LT.
Fr your used I would lean towards the Pinter/Sawtooth. The Pop Up is a great day pack, but at loads in the 70-80lbs range feel like they are maxing out the suspension and frame. I did use the PU to pack out a full wolf and also a 4pt mulie, but neither were over a mile. With heavy loads (80lbs plus) over longer distance the guide lite frame is much better suited IMO.

The newer gen 2 Pop up have a different frame and thicker hip belt so they should perform a bit better then the gen 1 with heavy loads.

Ray.

FNG
I started out with MR packs and made the switch to Kifaru. MR makes great bags I think, but they have nothing on Kifaru frames. The rigidity and ability to handle a load was quite the eye opener for me. A duplex lite with a stryker bag would probably be the ticket for a day pack with hauling capabilities. Or maybe one of their internal frame bags. Of course packs are very personal, and that's my personal opinion.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I have posted on this before, but bottom line is after trying 4-5 options I use a pop up 38 as my deer hunting daypack.

I have packed out gear and quartered whitetails (80#) in relative comfort. I choose it over my sawtooth / pintler for dayhunts because it rides so small in day pack mode. If I was looking for something that was going to haul more often, or if I only had one I would go sawtooth. However, if you want a stout daypack that can handle a heavy load on occasion, the pop up is awesome.

schmalzy

WKR
I am so fortunate and drew a tag for a coveted mule deer area. I've been training like crazy but I'll need to buy something to haul it out on. I am a bigger guy in height and weight. I like the idea of the MR popup 38 as I could use it as my new daypack. But the ability to carry 100lb concerns me. So I was looking at something like the MR sawtooth or pintler. I'd like something I could use as a daypack without being so bulky I couldn't stalk/crawl. All input is appreciated! Thank you for your time

SG solo 3600 would fit this application well. Compresses down very well and great for day hunting. Handles the weight range you’re discussing better than a pop up in my usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I am wondering the same thing between the pop up 38 and any of the packs on the guide lite frame, in particular the pintler bag.

JoeDirt

WKR
I use a popup for rifle hunting, its just nice slinging a rifle over your shoulder. I feel like the popup is about an 70lb-80lb frame where is the standard guide light frame is more like 90lbs+ (i own both)

If rifle hunting is in your future get the popup, if not then the sawtooth would be my pick.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Joedirt, good advice! Haven’t looked into the sawtooth yet but I will.

I do have a question on the pop up vs guide light harness and waist belt. Don’t they both use the same waist belt and harness or yoke? There for comfort while backing heavy loads up to say 70-80 lbs sho be similar, right?

shiras

FNG
The Metcalf's been a great all-around pack for me. I know Randy Newberg uses and suggests it for day hunts.

JoeDirt

WKR
Thanks Joedirt, good advice! Haven’t looked into the sawtooth yet but I will.

I do have a question on the pop up vs guide light harness and waist belt. Don’t they both use the same waist belt and harness or yoke? There for comfort while backing heavy loads up to say 70-80 lbs sho be similar, right?
I think the belt is different between the two. I have the older style popup, they could have changed the new style. The yokes on mine are interchangeable ive swapped mine around.

Not sure i understand your second question?

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Joedirt, sorry about that, darn auto correct. I was just asking or re-affirming that the guide light and pop up should be equally as good or as comfortable packing up to 70-80 lbs?

Joedirt, sorry about that, darn auto correct. I was just asking or re-affirming that the guide light and pop up should be equally as good or as comfortable packing up to 70-80 lbs?
I have a PU 28 and a Sawtooth. The Guide Light on the Sawtooth is much more comfortable when packing weight. If you plan on packing large loads on a regular basis, I recommend going with something on the Guide Light
Full disclosure, at my age, I rarely pack more than 60# or so, anymore. I'd rather make a another trip than risk hurting myself.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I have a PU 28 and a Sawtooth. The Guide Light on the Sawtooth is much more comfortable when packing weight. If you plan on packing large loads on a regular basis, I recommend going with something on the Guide Light
Full disclosure, at my age, I rarely pack more than 60# or so, anymore. I'd rather make a another trip than risk hurting myself.
Yeah if I did a lot of packing of heavy I agree with you the guide light sounds like it would be best. Mainly bought the pop up because I wanted a comfortable with a small footprint day pack that can haul a 60-80 lb load if called up to duty. I’ve always had a day pack that could not really pack meat or antlers well

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sawtooth. I packed a quartered whitetail in one trip. I was pretty comfortable with the weight and it held up great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk