Advice for Family Tent and Bags for Wife and Kiddo

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I need some advice on getting my wife and daughter started camping and eventually hunting with me. I am a backpack hunter or truck camp hunter, but all my gear is designed for me, and to go in the pack if need be. I've got a daughter that is almost (6) years old and has been begging me to take her camping. She took it a step further this morning as I was perusing my normal set of hunting sites by picking out a rifle stock for "her hunting rifle when she gets to hunt with Daddy." So, I think that it is time to start taking her on camping trips to fish and hike, and get her started seeing game. My questions are:

1. What is a good (3) person tent that has ample room, is not overly expensive, and is easy to set up for camping with the ladies? For clarity - this will be for truck camp sites primarily.

2. I've got a great bag/pad combo but I need to get something for both of them. Cost is an issue, but I am looking for something that is a reasonable solution that I don't have to replace in a few years.

3. Any recommendations on spots/areas that you have had great experiences with your kiddos at? Not asking for secret spots, and I am not asking so I can share it with anyone. This is just for me, my wife and kiddo so if you are willing to share anything here, a PM might be best.

Kind of embarrassing to have to ask, but I have absolutely no experience taking the ladies camping and I want to make it a positive experience. Pretty sure they would hate the way I do it. Thanks for any replies.

DA

I’ve got three kids (5-8 years old) and we camp about a dozen nights or more each year. I have a Kodiak that they love (I think 10X14’) and also a Big Agnes 8-man for boat camping. Both are great, though the latter is better when it’s roasting hot out or if you’re tight on space. The Kodiak is the ticket for spring and fall when you might need to kick on the buddy heater in the morning to take the edge off. Inflatable mattress or cot with a pad isn’t a bad idea unless you like complaining.

Truck camping I bring my camp chef cook top... you can really have gourmet meals three times a day which keeps everyone happy.

Bring the bikes, fishing rods, BB guns, whiffle ball and you’ll be in the money.

Also let me know if you’re looking for spots in WA, OR, ID, or MT. I’ll cough up secret spots by way of PM.

OP
A

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Great call on the Kodiak ... and I Loe the "unless you like complaining" comment. Ha. Anything to avoid that. I am looking at your recommendations now.

menhaden_man -- You are awesome. I do. OR and ID. Happy to trade you any info I might have that is beneficial to you. I'll PM you.

Rob5589

WKR
We always had 3-5 of us, depending on whether my oldest went. You definitely want a larger tent than a 3m for 3 people. Some room to move around, get dressed, etc, is more important to the ladies.
I would look at the Core branded tents for truck camping. Good stuff, set up quick, and inexpensive. One with two sections, one to sleep and one to be inside out of the elements, is a nice to have. Not everyone wants to fight bugs and weather, especially for their first time. Some Coleman bags of proper fill will work. Same with cots, if you go that way. Keeping it as comfy as possible in the beginning will keep the ladies coming back. For my wife, a place that has at least a vault toilet is mandatory. Not as easy for the ladies to just find a bush 😁

REI Tents are a little more expensive than others, but are quality. My family and I tent camp regularly with the REI Kingdom 6.

Shoes

FNG
I went with an REI Base Camp for family trips. 1 year in, I'm still satisfied. Primary decision for that tent was it was a bit thicker to help with cool CO nights.

Cabelas makes some decent duck cloth/flannel 0 degree bags that are great for truck camping. Warm and durable a few years in but not small or light.

As others stated, bring lots of games or plan some short adventures so it isn't boring if you're not sure they will enjoy just being out like you or I might.

You might also consider starting at developed camp grounds or a dispersed site that has facilities near by. Took my wife a few times before she got used to using a toiletree.

Kodiak is the best.
If ya cant quite pony for that I have a Coleman "fast pitch" style tent that I like pretty well, all the poles stay mounted to a central hub and it's super quick to set up.
See if you can find the Teton / Rustic ridge 7 in 1 bags.
Or military surplus.
And just go to campgrounds that at least have a vault toilet.
And a blue flame propane heater.
Not much more then a heater buddy but cranks out way more heat.

OP
A

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice. Thanks Shoes and BR. I’ve got a few purchases to make. Is the Kodak’s weight an issue? Looks like it is about 2-3x all the others. What about pitching it? How long does it take, etc.?

I have just the basic 10x10 but there a piece of cake.
Mine shrunk a little after the 1st storm I had it in. And I had to cut about an inch of the side poles.
If you are trying to cram tons of stuff in a tiny vehicle they are a little bulky. But I wouldn't say the weight is an issue. Lots guys say they set up in 15 min but it's more like 25-30 for me.
Another thing to note is they are not free standing.
So if the ground is really hard you have to be able to pound stakes in.
But there a mini wall tent.
A buddy of mine has a wife and 2 babes, they have the 10x14 and love it.