Advice for flatlanders?

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Ok all you lucky western bastards with your big mountains a beautiful open country. I am a flatlander from Charlotte NC who has been bitten by the elk hunting bug. I have the credit card statements to prove it. Haha. Anyway, I am planning my first diy elk hunt in CO with a few buddies in 2020 and I hoping to get some pointers from the guys who live and hunt out there all the time. First, let me apologize for being another a$$hole coming in to spoil the party. Hopefully I wont get in your way. Please don't shoot me if I do? :) Have any of you ever made the stupid mistake of taking one of us flatlanders on a hunt? Is there anything you wish you could have told them a year in advance so he wouldn't have been so useless in the backcountry? Thanks for any insight you can lend. Be gentle. LOL

cvsetter

FNG
Don't live in the west but in pa. And this past sept. Was my first elk hunt.have your legs and lungs in the best shape you can get them because it's a lot bigger country than it looks on google earth.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
If your schedule allows, spend a couple of days at a lower elevation than you plan to hunt. This will help your body adjust to less oxygen (at least a little).
No matter how in shape you think you are, it may still affect you. Good luck and train hard (cardo).

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
do you guys do a lot of heavy pack hikes in preparation? Trying to plan at least two a month in the NC Mountains.

tttoadman

WKR
Conditioning is what you need. Packing heavy weight doesn't build stamina. Pack up 40lbs and hit the hills or the treadmill on 5-10deg incline. To me the conditioning is for my legs, my feet, and my stamina. Nice to be able to hit trails and power through with the trekking poles. Great way to build the core strength.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
If you have some stadium steps to hike with a pack, that's a good place to start building your climbing stamina. The climbs will work the back side of your legs and butt and your calves. That's also what will get your lungs. With that said, steep down hills are equally hard and tiring in their own way. For me I like leg extensions and leg presses at the gym. I do light to medium weight and high reps. Like 30-50 reps per set until I feel the burn badly. You don't need bulk in your legs, but you do need strength and stamina. High reps tend to help with both of those.

Not sure how to help you with elevation. I live at sea level on the west coast but haven't had a problem camping first night at 7500' and hunting to 10,000'. Haven't gone above that though but in Colorado you probably will. Good luck!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
My advice; have fun and enjoy your experience, however be VERY realistic. I would even go so far as saying hunt within a mile of the truck. You've never seen an elk in the woods let alone stood over a dead one that needs to be broken down and taken out by dudes who have never done it. I would knowingly plan to chalk the first hunt up to getting your feet wet and enjoying the experience. I killed a bull on my 5th year hunting, still after seeing many elk on the hoof, nothing can prepare you mentally for watching the sun going down behind the horizon leaving you and your bull alone in the dark...4 miles from the truck.

As mentioned, train your legs. Do all the things that you'll read about with regard to physical conditioning, but be realistic with yourself. Read, learn, enjoy the ride.

Bl704

WKR
I do a combination of cardio, endurance and some strength (geared toward a heavy pack and bow-core, shoulders, back). I also drop weight leading up to the season. Miles-Walking/hiking/running, stairs/steps, some weights (too bulky will do you no favors as the muscle needs oxygen), some hiit/aerobic.

But a couple trips west and you'll know what works best for you, as someone mentioned. You really can't train to acclimate your body for altitude, but you can set up base camp at lower elevation, go slow the first couple days, stay hydrated and I find some carbs help me.

I do try to get up to the AT for some good long hikes (64 miles in 3 days and a few hrs was the last; 4-5 miles gained/lost in elevation) and for gear shakedown. Though my trail weight is less than my hunting gear as I don't have the same layers and hunting specific gear.

bozeman

WKR
I walk the local high school stadium steps on every other Saturday with a 45lbs pack for at least an hour......also, what really 'got me' last year.....side hilling......tore my ankles up. I have some new boots for this year, but find a steep hill and practice this.....never crossed my mind. I had ran in 1/2 marathons, 5K's, 10K's and hikes with a loaded pack for months, but worked on 'side hilling' none.....over sight on my part, but not again. Best of luck.

rayporter

WKR
on another thread I said this about every dreamer I have take out west. they all said 'you told me it would be hard---but you never told me it would be this
hard"

don't count on all of them showing up when it is time to start the engine and leave. [ unless you have their money in hand]

by the way, never be out of reach of your rain gear.