Advice for flatlanders?

What were the mental challenges they were dealing with?

To start, these have been good friends of mine for awhile and I have hunted with them a fair amount in not so tough situations and around home. I thought they could handle it but they just couldn’t. I am no pro hunter but I give 120% and I love the chase as much as the kill, sometimes more. I had scouted and read everything possible and had a more logical approach. I did everything I could to be as prepared as possible without having done it. One of them did a fair amount of homework and two did not do much at all. When we got there and the terrain was tougher and the weather was worse, and the animals were scarce, they just lacked the drive to push on in such big country. I saw one elk for literally 1 second, and that was it. Honestly my goal was meet. I had told them all I wanted to just see an elk. That was my goal along with handling the weather and terrain. I think for some it is easier than others to keep their mind right and not worry about wet boots or sore legs. I now know, and after hearing so much on here about picking hunting partners is very hard, that you need to be very wise about it. I’m not 100% sure how you know as I really thought these guys could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunnar19

FNG
As some have said, work your legs. Legs feed the wolf. I’ll second the make sure you are ready for what happens if/when you get an elk on the ground. That’s when the real work starts.

Jeepers87

FNG
Lots of great advise here, on a gear side of things be prepared for any weather, especially in rifle hunts. Don’t get overconfident by having a 4x4 and chains, if you need chains to get in and it’s still snowing, you probably shouldn’t be going that way, chains are for getting out. Also don’t forget to just stop and take it in when you are trekking up the slope, no matter how great of shape you’re in, coming up in altitude is gonna tax you at least those first few days.

To start, these have been good friends of mine for awhile and I have hunted with them a fair amount in not so tough situations and around home. I thought they could handle it but they just couldn’t. I am no pro hunter but I give 120% and I love the chase as much as the kill, sometimes more. I had scouted and read everything possible and had a more logical approach. I did everything I could to be as prepared as possible without having done it. One of them did a fair amount of homework and two did not do much at all. When we got there and the terrain was tougher and the weather was worse, and the animals were scarce, they just lacked the drive to push on in such big country. I saw one elk for literally 1 second, and that was it. Honestly my goal was meet. I had told them all I wanted to just see an elk. That was my goal along with handling the weather and terrain. I think for some it is easier than others to keep their mind right and not worry about wet boots or sore legs. I now know, and after hearing so much on here about picking hunting partners is very hard, that you need to be very wise about it. I’m not 100% sure how you know as I really thought these guys could do it.

Most of the time your buddies turn out to be guys that really dont have the drive to hunt out west. Sad but true. Ive seen it plenty at 34 years old and going on 7 years of western hunting trips. I primarily hunt solo now

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the time your buddies turn out to be guys that really dont have the drive to hunt out west. Sad but true. Ive seen it plenty at 34 years old and going on 7 years of western hunting trips. I primarily hunt solo now

That’s my concern. This fall will be my first elk hunt. I would like to take someone with me, but I just don’t think they’ll be as committed as I am

I killed my first bull this past fall and I'm a flatlander (Kansas) All I can say is nothing really prepares you for the size and weight of these incredible animals, but I was very thankful for all the leg work I did. Lung wise I struggled but we just took breaks. The best thing I did was hunt with three other guys who were committed as I was and wouldn't quit. Killed my bull on day 7 of a 7 day hunt. We never stopped and never gave up and that is the true key.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
In addition to focusing on overall fitness, cardio- running, stairclimbing, hiking in your hunting boots with weight in your pack to break your boots in. Remember to put attention on hiking downhill as well. I had tibial band syndrome creep up on me one year that had me laid up in my truck camp at the trailhead for a day and moving slow the next. Also I give myself a day to acclimate a little to altitude. Some years are better then others, but the level of your headache will let you know if and when your ready to climb to higher altitude.

Fullfan

WKR
It can be done, I have hunted elk in Idaho as a non resident since 1983. Two years ago I was involved in a very bad vehicle accident. My hip and pelvis were crushed, my right leg broken in 3 compound fractures. My right femur went through my knee and my foot was crushed also. Long recovery road but I was determined to return to Idaho, not know if I could elk hunt ever again. 5 months after having a rod removed from my leg and a total knee replacement I was back in Idaho. All I could do to prepare was ride a stationary bike, dong a lil of something is better than doing a lot of noting.

Walk, run, do squats 90% of elk hunting is a mental game. The mind is weak but the body is strong.. I can not go like I use to, slow and steady. Good luck and have fun.

Walk, run, do squats 90% of elk hunting is a mental game. The mind is weak but the body is strong.. I can not go like I use to, slow and steady. Good luck and have fun.[/QUOTE]

100% agree with this. I’m not trying to say I am some crazy mountain man, because I am not. The better shape you are in the better it will be. If your body is weak you can always take a break. It seems like once your mind is too weak, you are done.

Billinsd

WKR
First and most importantly lose weight if you are overweight. I'm 6 feet tall and "should" weigh less than 190 lb. Gravity is a bitch, especially at altitude and less O2. Next is lungs, you want them to be operating at optimal. Third is get in shape. Some kind of hardcore aerobics like Insanity with Shaun T. There is no reason a flat lander can't get into mountain shape at home. However, depending on the terrain you will get sore on that uneven terrain. Pack Ibuprofen. A mountain bubba has no real edge against a flat lander bubba. This has been my experience.

freshta

WKR
Another NC dude here. Been out to CO twice, solo. Used the Backcountry Hunter’s program from MTN Tactical both times. It is monotonous as hell but works really well. Having said that, the trips kicked my butt both times. I took weekend trips up to Black Balsam Knob, Roan Mtn, and Greyson Highlands to dial in my equipment etc.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff posted by all.. Cant say enough about the legs and core work that it takes.
I remember on my last hunt dreading crawling over or under the next tree in a blow down area.
At that time your mind needs to be right above all

Stairclimber. Even just loading your pack up with 40lbs or so and walking around the block helps to get used to the weight, etc.

tntrker

WKR
Get out with your pack and weight and hike up the biggest ridges you can as often as you can. That's what I did and once you adapt to the air, you'll be fine. Cardio and Legs!

I didn’t read every post but if it’s not said they make masks for elevation training. So do what everyone says untel it’s not too hard then try one of those. I have no experience with them, I’m going to follow my own advice though, once I’m back to where I used to be with cardio I’ll be giving one a try.