Advice for Mounting SWFA 3-9x42 on Rem 700 LA

OP
JustSomeGuy35
You may have already made up your mind, but I have Warne Mountain Tech, Leupold Backcountry and Seekins Rings on different rifles. The Leupold are not picatinny style, other two are. All have been rock solid. I like the Warne the most stylistically, but prefer the Leupold because there is no rail to work around (mounted to a Rem 700 muzzleloader).
I will look into those. Thanks for replying!

OP
JustSomeGuy35
Hawkins with a swfa.
Looks like perfect clearance! I love the olive color with black webs; which stock is that? I've been eye-balling the grayboe and stocky's composite stocks in that color scheme for months.

Thanks for sharing that picture!

OP
JustSomeGuy35
With the 2 piece bases, would you need to lap the rings even if they were precision matched?

Thanks!
I have spent numerous hours scouring the net for answers about lapping and bedding. From what I've read, seems like it's mostly just user preference. Some guys never lap, others always lap (even on matched rings). I've found no definitive answers. I wonder if maybe technology has gotten good enough that tight tolerances are easily come by, even with cheaper rings?

I bought a lapping kit thinking I'd need it, but after mounting scopes on 7 rifles, I've yet to use it. I do use the bars to check alignment and so far things have matched up. Every rifle's first shot was less than 2" from point of aim at 100 yds and none have lost zero. Granted, most of these rifles have only 50-200 rounds thru them, so time will tell. I've also switched scopes on several and haven't seen any excessive or uneven ring-marks.

I should mention that I'm not much of a precision shooter. I'm more of a 1 - 1.5 moa kind of guy and my gear selection reflects that. If I was trying to get the best groups possible, I think I'd probably lap and bed on every build. I'd also buy higher quality rifles and parts too.

Maybe someone else can chime in on bedding and lapping?

Reactions: BCD

Wrench

WKR
Looks like perfect clearance! I love the olive color with black webs; which stock is that? I've been eye-balling the grayboe and stocky's composite stocks in that color scheme for months.

Thanks for sharing that picture!
That's a rem Ti in a rem Ti stock that I painted 20 years ago.

OP
JustSomeGuy35
Just an update for those who are interested:
Hawkins Precision emailed me back earlier this week. They said it'll take about 6 weeks to supply vendors. They also gave me a link to someone who will have them in-stock first.

I thought that was cool of them. Seems like a good company! I'll give them till end of March before choosing an alternative.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

OP
JustSomeGuy35
That's a rem Ti in a rem Ti stock that I painted 20 years ago.
Wow, that's a great paint job! Looks professional. I planned on painting some rifles this summer so maybe I'll try replicating yours.

I don't want to change stocks since I went way over budget while upgrading optics this winter. The stock that's on my rifle now is a factory synthetic thats been free-floated, bedded, and stiffened with marine epoxy. Brought my groups down from 1.8 moa to about 1.2. I have a Timney 3lb trigger to install and hopefully that'll bring the groups down a bit more. It's a decent budget setup so I think a new paint job will suffice!

Thanks for sharing!

OP
JustSomeGuy35
***Update....one year later

I ended up getting the Hawkins hybrid rings about a month after my last post and I am very happy with them. This setup has become my main hunting rig, partly because 7mm mag ammo is still scarce, but mostly because I'm loving this scope! I only get to hunt in Washington for a week, once every 1-2 years, so it's important to me that my gear doesn't fail on those trips.

I probably won't ever buy a Remington rifle again (unless they fix their QC issues), but if I did, I would pick this scope and rings combo again. It just reeks of durability!

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice!

I have the same scope on my 700 TI 06' except I have the Mil Quad reticle. Mounted it with an EGW rail and Seekins rings. It has taken a lot of abuse and never an issue.