I was very fortunate to have drawn a moose tag after only 3 years of applying. It came as such a shock that prior to Saturday night I have never once considered how to hunt moose. I will be traveling from Connecticut to Maine (about a 10 hour drive to the zone I drew) for the first October week, 10/10-10/15. My first thought was to hire a guide. After all, semi-guided elk hunts seem to be relatively affordable, and for a rare tag like ME Moose, it would be worth it; then I saw the price tag of upwards of $7,000. This is simply not in the cards for me, no matter how hard to draw. Additionally, most of these guided hunts either have elaborate lodges with big meals included, or several cabins with different hunting parties all in the same spot. Neither of these options sound even remotely appealing to me. I have a handful of questions and hopefully enough time to get on track to have a successful hunt. I hope there are some around that have been on some ME hunts that can assist me.
- Do places offer semi-guided hunts, similar to drop camp hunts? I'd prefer a DIY hunt but I think it may be foolish of me to think I can go up and have a bull down in only 6 days of ever seeing this area.
- Where can I find resources for how to hunt moose? There seems to be extremely little information on hunting tactics, or beginner tips. All I can find is "Don't shoot a moose in water." From that I assume I'd want to hunt somewhat near water.
- Do larger mature bulls have different behavior than younger bulls? I imagine older bulls are more cautious and keen than younger bulls, but like whitetails, will the older bulls be in more "prime" locations based on bedding, etc?
- Is packing out a moose, like you would an elk, an unrealistic feat?
- What do I look for when e-scouting moose? Can you e-scout moose? It looks like the zone I'm hunting is LOADED with logging cuts and is a maze of skidder tracks and logging roads.
- How do you break down an area of similar terrain/vegetation/topography and try to hone in on where the moose will want to be? In short, how would I find a moose, and/or and area to call one.
- Would you hunt ME moose differently than Western moose? I'm guessing you can't really glass as well for ME moose due to how thick it is here and the zone being pretty flat.