Advice: Hammer Seating Depth Test

Wrench

WKR
Many people attribute seating depth to the bullet desires....when in actuality the powder performance is directly related to how the bullet ogive, crimp/neck tension and freebore react.

This condition csn often be seen in the nosler LRAB. They have a jacket material that "slugs up" differently than others and so they tend to leave the case at the ignition of the primer, then stall in the leade waiting for rapid expansion.

Not to say that this is the issue at hand, but it is critical theory to understand.

Anyone who doesn't understand or believe this can call the ballisticians at nosler for a detailed explanation.

JPatzig

FNG
Agree with others above, seating depth not so important with hammers, but FCD crimp definitely helps with smaller groups and lower SD/ES on speed.

NV HUNTER

WKR
On my 28 nosler seating depths made a huge difference. The guys at hammer walked me through a problem I was having. Seating the bullets deeper shrunk my group under 1/2 inch and lower pressure signs.

Legend

WKR
Seating depth was critical in my 300wsm with 166 grain HH. Went from 2 inch to 1/2 inch group. Maybe it was neck tension or maybe it was the jump but either way it made a huge difference.