Advice needed on preference points

Finch

WKR
I know this can be beat to death but just bear with me. Also, a couple of non-elk related questions in this post too.

A little background....I live in VA and I'm 36. My buddy and I have accrued 4 PPs for CO elk. I've hunted OTC 4 years off and on since 2015 and I'm perfectly happy with that method although I haven't had any luck or gotten into many elk. Part of me doesn't want to keep giving CO more money and 4PPs might be enough to up our odds and get us into a little better unit. When we started buying points - we thought it'd be nice to one day hunt a better unit. I guess I'm on the fence now if I want to keep buying points or just keep the 4. Thoughts on the matter? I think once we do burn these points, we'll stick to OTC. We won't be able to hunt this year so at the least, we will try to use those 4 points (or 5 if I buy another) next year.

Also, I'm trying to decide about building points in WY for elk and antelope but is there any use? I think I read where Idaho is basically OTC since they don't ever sell out of tags, sound right?

What about if I ever wanted to hunt mule deer? What would be a viable option? Should I consider getting a PP for them in CO or is the creep too bad where I should just forget it?

Burn the points and go hunt. Look at the stats and find the best hunt you can for the points you have. With the popularity in hunting, waiting to hunt just makes you wait longer for the same tag in many cases.

I thought about drawing a WY elk tag 2 years ago. Today I an still looking at the same unit I was 2 years ago with the points I have. I could have went on the same hunt I am trying to draw this year 2 years ago and had 2 points in the bank had I not waited. With the popularity of western hunting the way it is you need to go hunt sooner than later or you will miss out.

WRO

WKR
Also, I'm trying to decide about building points in WY for elk and antelope but is there any use? I think I read where Idaho is basically OTC since they don't ever sell out of tags, sound right?

Idaho sold out of most of the good nr tags in 1 day this year..

Wyoming General can be pretty good, it'll take a point or 2 to get it.

Az is a long shot, but totally worth it if you draw a tag either randomly or wait. New mexico deserves to be on that list too, no points but way better hunts on average than otc/ low point hunts in other states.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
4 years without an elk isn't unheard of, but not confidence inspiring. Once you break that seal and figure out the elk, you'll be more successful. Trust me... it'll be a light bulb.

My philosophy on hunting is i want to go every year without exception. So whatever I have to do in order to hunt, I do it. I am playing the PP game just to be able to hunt every year, or going OTC. Which by the way is very successful. I've only had 2 years in 19 where I haven't killed a bull, and both were out of choice. Rather poor, greedy choices.

Go hunt. Worry about learning the game, the geography, you're field craft and you're enjoyment.

I would pick the best zone you can get with whatever points you've got and get after it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
Good advice already above.

I think what helps also is a long range plan that overlaps in 2-3 states coupled with how often you want to hunt. Adding in other species also helps with another layer of being able to hunt and scout at the same time. We all have different things going on in life and time is usually the precious commodity as we get older.

I'll use my self as a quick example. My goal is to be in the woods in Sept hearing bulls scream. Nothing more nothing less and everything I do revolves around that when I make yearly decisions. What gets me in the woods in Sept.

1) Draw a elk tag in WYO or Colorado
2) Draw a deer tag in Colorado
3) Go bear hunting in Colorado
4) A friend draws a tag and I go be camp boss / wrangler and or help call, hunt and pack.

While that goes on every year I either hunt or build points in CO and WYO for elk, moose, deer, antelope.
While accruing points I may deer or lope hunt so I can scout/collect more data. Key is to offset everything so you have some option each year to do something if you want.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I appreciate everyone's insight. Also, just watched a could of Newberg's videos on the matter and he explains things so well.

I think I'll just forego buying another CO elk PP and keep the 4 that I already have.

I need to subscribe to Gohunt it seems. Still unsure if I should buy a PP for mule deer in CO? Am I too late to the party or will 1 or 2 points a couple years down the road get me in the game?

Sorry... being from the east -this can all be a little confusing.

Brendan

WKR
Double check colorado regs - pretty sure you lose your points if you don't apply or buy more for a couple years. I know you can take one year off, not sure about more than that.

Wyoming general has been going up in points it requires. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this year was 5 for the NR regular general the way things have been going.

Jethro

WKR
If you decide to to get a CO mule deer point then be sure to get the elk point too. It would only be 9$ extra.

CO points last 10 years of inactivity before they disappear

3-5 points is worth it for what it can get you vs. an otc unit.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think I'll just forego buying another CO elk PP and keep the 4 that I already have.
You need to study up on the statistics pages for elk, and then pick a unit you can draw within the next couple years that makes sense, without throwing points away. Without a plan, you might do something stupid........like stop buying points. And don't just look at how many points it takes........look at the relationship between R to NR, Archery to ML to Rifle, etc, etc. There's a lot of good info in the stats that you can derive from them, without ever stepping foot in the unit.

4 years without an elk isn't unheard of, but not confidence inspiring. Once you break that seal and figure out the elk, you'll be more successful. Trust me... it'll be a light bulb.

My philosophy on hunting is i want to go every year without exception. So whatever I have to do in order to hunt, I do it. I am playing the PP game just to be able to hunt every year, or going OTC. Which by the way is very successful. I've only had 2 years in 19 where I haven't killed a bull, and both were out of choice. Rather poor, greedy choices.

Go hunt. Worry about learning the game, the geography, you're field craft and you're enjoyment.

I would pick the best zone you can get with whatever points you've got and get after it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
^This^

Go hunt. I’d buy a point though. Your 4 points will only be worth 2 or 3 next year. Points can never hurt but many a hunter has regretted skipping a year or forgetting to but another. Good luck!

cgasner1

WKR
Get gohunt it amazes me how often I loose myself reading on it about other states be it the regulations draw odds they send out articles in the email and next thing I know I’m down some rabbit hole learning about another state it’s very very helpful then after awhile you’ll decide to build a plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn what ya got.
Apply in New Mexico.
Buy deer, elk points in Wyoming.
Buy deer points in Colorado.
If you bow hunt, look in to Montana.
Apply in Arizona, longer range on this.

at your age, living where you live, your elk hunting career is half over.
I’m 49 and live 350 miles east of you.

oh yeah, apply in Pennsylvania and Kentucky. Look at as a contribution to conservation not a chance to draw. Maybe you’ll win the lottery.

mproberts

WKR
I wouldn't stop buying points. With point creep the way it is in most states, buying points is just keeping your odds steady for the future. I used to live in VA and could only do a destination hunt or two a year, but I wanted to keep my options open for future hunts. I've bought points for multiple species in six states for over a decade now and in that time frame there is only one species in one state that I regret buying points for, and that mistake was from a poor reading of regulations.

If money is really tight I would prioritize buying in CO since you already have points there. If you can add states Wyoming and Montana are both cheap since you can buy points after the draw without having to enter or buy required licenses. New Mexico is pure lottery each year, so if you have the extra money one year apply, but don't stress it if you can't. Arizona would be next on my list, but that's a significant price jump up over the other options above when you consider the cost before you likely draw. Good luck man!

Last edited: